Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #61
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
Congratulations!! I had my last pre-surgery appointment this morning, and I'll have my shiny new Birmingham on 5/29!

I have a surgical consult on 6/2 to figure out if Birmingham is the next step.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #62
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydascope
..one to go!

Bet you'll feel a lot better now. Grats!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #63
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog

I have a surgical consult on 6/2 to figure out if Birmingham is the next step.

AWRIGHT!!!!

That's fantastic news, Photog! I'm at T-minus 14 days and counting, and I just can't wait to get it done. I honestly don't know how long it's going to take to adjust to having no pain in the hip, but man, am I ever looking forward to finding out!

Unfortunately, the surgeon isn't 100% certain that the Birmingham is what's going to be used. He won't know until he gets inside, but at this point I'll be thrilled with whatever he does.

Let me know what your consulting MD says.........

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #64
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 695
We need an update!

Quote:
..one to go!

Hey! How did it go?

Thx,
Jason
doctor_big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #65
Vetus Dorkus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I have been putting off total hip arthroplasty for a while for this reason. Stupid me thinks that I will need one someday and will have to settle down afterwards so just use it until it breaks or cant walk anymore. Maybe I should rethink this.

Thanks for the post.

/still waiting for a star trek beaming type surgery, no blades near my....
//Dx AVN R femoral head in 1975 (15yo), kinda used to the daily pain...the 'other' pain has made me cry in my sleep (I man up when i wake up tho... )
Vetus Dorkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #66
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
I'm three and a half weeks post surgery now and finally starting to get mobile again.

My leg swelled up really bad and the first two weeks sucked.

Got off the pain killers during the daytime after two and a half weeks - this was a huge change mentally! Still take on or two a night to sleep.

Still on crutches, 50% weight bearing only, but that's coming to a end soon.

Been driving since last week and back to work a few days now.

First follow up meeting tomorrow.

But the bone on bone grinding pain is GONE!

I keep looking at my bike and although I know it's too soon, it won't be long...
Sounds great!! I had my hip redurfaced on Thusday morning, and I came home last night. My leg is still epically swelled up, but the pain isn't really too bad. I'm having a terrible time sleeping since they put me on Vicodin, so tomorrow I'm going to call and find out what else I can take.

I'm going to be on the crutches for 6 weeks with no weight bearing, and they'll evaluate me after that to see if I can start walking again. Jeebus, I can't wait!!
It's going to be some time before I get on the bike, though............

Steve McQueen

Old 06-04-2008, 03:44 AM   #67
doctor_big

Quote:
Sounds great!! I had my hip redurfaced on Thusday morning, and I came home last night. My leg is still epically swelled up, but the pain isn't really too bad. I'm having a terrible time sleeping since they put me on Vicodin, so tomorrow I'm going to call and find out what else I can take.

I'm going to be on the crutches for 6 weeks with no weight bearing, and they'll evaluate me after that to see if I can start walking again. Jeebus, I can't wait!!
It's going to be some time before I get on the bike, though............
Yours and Clyde's stories fit with my impression of what this operation will be like, more so than the walking-a-mile-in-ten-days scenario. Still, at home a few days after an operation of this magnitude is still pretty damn astonishing! Good to hear that it's bearable.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks, and good healing!

Jason
Old 06-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #68
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big
Yours and Clyde's stories fit with my impression of what this operation will be like, more so than the walking-a-mile-in-ten-days scenario. Still, at home a few days after an operation of this magnitude is still pretty damn astonishing! Good to hear that it's bearable.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks, and good healing!

Jason

Yeah, it's bearable, and in fact, the pain today is much less than yesterday. We're all pretty restless when it comes to being told to stay still for any length of time, and this seems like a prison sentence right now. Soon enough, it'll be in the rearview mirror and shrinking fast.

Steve McQueen

Old 06-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #69
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,212
I'm happy to hear it's working out well for you guys.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #70
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcrashnthru
I'm happy to hear it's working out well for you guys.
Thanks, man! I just got to take my first shower since the surgery, and it feels so good to be human again.
I know this whole thing is going to be great; I moved my leg this morning in a way that would normally make me wince in pain, but today it didn't even twinge a bit. Damn, this is really going to be cool once I can use it.

Steve McQueen

Old 06-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #71
doctor_big

good stuff!

Quote:
Got the go ahead to get off crutches and 100% weight bearing - managed to drive the 560 miles round trip in two days - solo!
That's about three weeks and you're full weight-bearing! Eggcellent!

JT
Old 06-07-2008, 04:33 AM   #72
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Thanks, man! I just got to take my first shower since the surgery, and it feels so good to be human again.
I know this whole thing is going to be great; I moved my leg this morning in a way that would normally make me wince in pain, but today it didn't even twinge a bit. Damn, this is really going to be cool once I can use it.
Wow...I've wondered what that would be like--moving in that way that normally produces that pain and not feeling it. That's got to be cool and sorta weird at the same time to not get that pain you've been so used to.

FWIW, looks like I'm not a good candidate for resurfacing but we'll get another opinion. Looks like THR for both sides, metal-metal, and a shot of radiation. I'm going to do another round of injections on Tuesday, more PT, re-evaluate, and if I'm not feeling like things are extendable, may get both replaced this winter...around November.

Thanks for posting all this info--it really does help as I'm looking ahead. I'm following every word.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #73
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Wow...I've wondered what that would be like--moving in that way that normally produces that pain and not feeling it. That's got to be cool and sorta weird at the same time to not get that pain you've been so used to.

FWIW, looks like I'm not a good candidate for resurfacing but we'll get another opinion. Looks like THR for both sides, metal-metal, and a shot of radiation. I'm going to do another round of injections on Tuesday, more PT, re-evaluate, and if I'm not feeling like things are extendable, may get both replaced this winter...around November.

Thanks for posting all this info--it really does help as I'm looking ahead. I'm following every word.

Keep the faith, Photog. I waited about 8 years to get to this point, and I consider myself to be one lucky pup to have gotten the procedure that I wanted the most. The attitude that I recieved in November when I spoke with the surgeons was that the degeneration in my hip had gotten to the point that a resurfacing wasn't going to be a viable alternative. Nautrally, I was delighted to awake in recovery and be told that it had indeed been done.

It is a bit odd to not feel the same old pain. It's also odd when I move my leg due to the obvious changes in length and leg angle that were made. I'm getting used to it, but it's just wierd.

I walked about 125 yards uphill on my crutches at my daughter's high school graduation last night, and I can truthfully say that I felt better, with less pain, than I did beforehand. Again, weird. But pretty f-in' cool!

Photog, I can only tell you now that I wish I would have done this years ago. I'm 9 days since surgery and the pain level is so much less than it was before, even sporting a 9-inch incision and with all of the muscle pulling and moving that was done. I have lived in a kind of misery that only someone like you or another sufferer can understand, and the relief that has been given to me is beyond anything that I dreamed about. I really hope that you get the work done as soon as you possibly can. I'm happier now than I have been for 10+ years, because as good as it is, I know that it's still going to get even better. That really just blows my mind.

Steve McQueen

Old 06-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #74
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

I cried reading that.

I'm so happy for you. I think you know what I mean.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #75
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
I cried reading that.

I'm so happy for you. I think you know what I mean.

Believe me, between my daughter graduating and having my life changed so drastically for the better, I've shed more than a few tears myself.

It feels so good to be happy and positive again. I'd almost forgotten what it was like.

Steve McQueen