Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2008, 07:21 AM   #76
Vetus Dorkus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I am really going to look into it now (got to see how much it will cost us first), I tried sitting on my dads K1200LT and could not, how can I steal, umm, borrow his bike if I cannot sit on it?

The real reason I need to do somthing about it is that I was loading my bike and my sons bike into the truck and my damn leg stopped working again. I fell off the ramp but the bike was far enough in as to be stopped from falling off of the ramp (and on to me) by the end of the bed. I either have to stop doing fun things or get this fixed. Oh yea, I really could not stand to sit on the LT...damn.

A nice thing is that I live near Houston, I am sure I can find a good Orthopod at the Texas Medical Center, maybe even a biker .
Vetus Dorkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #77
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetus Dorkus
I am really going to look into it now (got to see how much it will cost us first), I tried sitting on my dads K1200LT and could not, how can I steal, umm, borrow his bike if I cannot sit on it?

The real reason I need to do somthing about it is that I was loading my bike and my sons bike into the truck and my damn leg stopped working again. I fell off the ramp but the bike was far enough in as to be stopped from falling off of the ramp (and on to me) by the end of the bed. I either have to stop doing fun things or get this fixed. Oh yea, I really could not stand to sit on the LT...damn.

A nice thing is that I live near Houston, I am sure I can find a good Orthopod at the Texas Medical Center, maybe even a biker .

I talked to a great many people prior to my surgery about their experiences, and the main thread that ran through each conversation was this: Almost every single person wished that they had not waited as long to have the work done. I've always considered myself to be a strong individual, and I waited as long as I could becasue I believed that I could tough it out. I now know that I was a damned fool for waiting so long. Not only did suffer with pain, but my family, friends, coworkers, etc., suffered my nasty moods and unpleasant disposition. Frankly, I've been an asshole for years due to the fact that I was hurting (there were other factors, too, but the pain didn't help. ) .
I guess that what I'm trying to say is this: don't wait. If there's any possible way to get the process started, then by all means do so. You'll be happier, your family and friends will be happier, and your life will improve in ways that you can't imagine.

Life's too short to hurt so much.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al screwed with this post 06-08-2008 at 04:10 PM
Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #78
password?
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi all, I came across thread after googling "hip replacment+Motorcycle Racing"

I was wondering if there was a riding/racing life after hip replacment... Turns out there is! I'm just home from rehab after bi-lateral total hip replacment (both sides at once) and already life is good. At 4 weeks I'm walking with-out sticks and are pretty much pain free. Quite amazing! Infact I can do more now than in along time, though I still get tired pretty quickly.

I can appreciate everything that has been said here regarding the pain stuffed hips cause, and the cost they have on your quality of life and relationships. Cronic pain is a diease in itself and should not be lived with when the simple alternative of having a hip replaced is available. My hips degenerated quickly over 2 years, at the end I was ready to be put down if relief from the pain was not available... Seriously.

I'm an ex-road racer now, though My Doc, who is highly rated rekons, that after recovery and extensive rebuilding of all the wasted muscle, that track riding will be okay. I asked about damaging the hip if I happened to have a big or nasty off, and he said dislocation was probably the worst thing that could occur, and if I broke the bone, it all could be put back together without too much more trouble than if it was a virgin bone How many superbike or gp riders damage their hips? I can't remember in the past of ever hearing of such an injury.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not going to wrap myself in cotton wool.... I'm going to get out there (when strong) and play!

After stumbling apon this fantastic site, I think I'm going to buy a dual-sport and do some adventure riding as well

So my advice in relation to hip replacment,or resurfacing is this...
Don't delay! Take out private health insurance (keep in mind waiting periods for pre-existing injurys) ... my surgery and rehab cost me around a thousand dollars though the bill was just on 40K. Work hard at rehab and rebuild lost condition quickly. Then get out there and have fun! See you all around....
password? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #79
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,212
I've probably said this before, but it bears repeating.

If you need to have a hip or knee done, don't wait! The longer you wait to have a hip or knee done, the worse you are probably making it on yourself in the long run. Recovery can take much longer because those muscles have not been used in months or years.

I know it's tough to make the desicion to have it done. It took me months to talk my stepdad into getting his hip done. It wasn't until he could hardly walk that he finally went and had it done. A couple of weeks after surgery, he said he wished he wouldn't have waited. He was in pain everyday for almost three years. A month after surgery, and he's a mall walker along with my mom.

I'm so happy to hear that things are working out well for those of you that have had this done. The goal is always to make patients ambulatory and pain free.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #80
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydascope
Yesterday was 7 weeks post surgery. I dropped the cane a couple weeks ago and can manage about 1/2 mile walking hands free, with a few breaks. No pain killers, no sleeping pills. Working full time again.

I talked to a friend a couple days ago who had a total replacement 2-1/2 years ago. He said he skied 120 days last season! I started my bike that evening and wondered how much longer...

Still feels a little wierd and I got a cool limp going, but every day is better than the day before. Now I just gotta figure out when to do the next one.

That's great news!! I'm 18 days from my first post-surgery checkup, and I'm guessing that they'll give me a cane to play with at that point.
I have been out to the garage and sat on both bikes (jeez, how can I not? ) and the difference in how it feels is incredible. It's literally been 20 years since it didn't hurt to climb on to a motorcycle.
I'm very much looking forward to the first time that I can hike a short trail with my wife and daughters, and that time is getting closer and closer.

Steve McQueen

Old 06-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #81
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by password?
Hi all, I came across thread after googling "hip replacment+Motorcycle Racing"

I was wondering if there was a riding/racing life after hip replacment... Turns out there is! I'm just home from rehab after bi-lateral total hip replacment (both sides at once) and already life is good. At 4 weeks I'm walking with-out sticks and are pretty much pain free. Quite amazing! Infact I can do more now than in along time, though I still get tired pretty quickly.

I can appreciate everything that has been said here regarding the pain stuffed hips cause, and the cost they have on your quality of life and relationships. Cronic pain is a diease in itself and should not be lived with when the simple alternative of having a hip replaced is available. My hips degenerated quickly over 2 years, at the end I was ready to be put down if relief from the pain was not available... Seriously.

I'm an ex-road racer now, though My Doc, who is highly rated rekons, that after recovery and extensive rebuilding of all the wasted muscle, that track riding will be okay. I asked about damaging the hip if I happened to have a big or nasty off, and he said dislocation was probably the worst thing that could occur, and if I broke the bone, it all could be put back together without too much more trouble than if it was a virgin bone How many superbike or gp riders damage their hips? I can't remember in the past of ever hearing of such an injury.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not going to wrap myself in cotton wool.... I'm going to get out there (when strong) and play!

After stumbling apon this fantastic site, I think I'm going to buy a dual-sport and do some adventure riding as well

So my advice in relation to hip replacment,or resurfacing is this...
Don't delay! Take out private health insurance (keep in mind waiting periods for pre-existing injurys) ... my surgery and rehab cost me around a thousand dollars though the bill was just on 40K. Work hard at rehab and rebuild lost condition quickly. Then get out there and have fun! See you all around....

Having these procedures done is all about quality of life. Being in constant, burning pain brings life down to the level of mere existance, and I also wondered if it was worth it once in a while. Having two kids and great wife keeps one from doing anything rash or stupid, though, and I now I can look forward to a life of positives.
I, too, am an ex-roadracer, and I'm mulling over the possilibty of doing track days again. Jeez, I'm not too sure just how it's gonna fell to be able to actually move around on the bike in the corners. Most of my time on the track has benn in the classic "knees in, toes out" riding style of the 60's. Putting the right knee out was simple horrible. Not any more.

You have my undying respect for having a bi-lateral procedure done. What I've gone through so far ihas been a relative piece of cake, and having both done at once looks like a real challenge. Good on you for having such a fantastic outlook for what's in store!! Life is what we make of it, and I've seen far too many people give up in the face of pain, sickness, or hardship. We only get one go around, and it's really gratifying to see that others here are sharing my opinion that making the best of it is really the only option.

BTW, Larry Pegram, an American roadracer, had a full hip replcement done sometime in the 90's. He's an ex-dirt tracker, and had too many hard tumbles in that discipline. He's still racing and still competetive in the AMA series.

Steve McQueen

Old 06-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #82
Neubz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by password?

I had a total hip replacement done about a year and a half ago after a head on crash on a KLR. I'm 29. Since then, I've used bicycling as my primary means of getting my atrophied leg back in shape. Last week I was in a fast bicycle accident (some other cyclist riding fifteen feet ahead of me lost control of his bike and swerved into a wall, taking himself out, at which point his bike flew into the path and took me out). I fell hard right on my hip and slid. I laid there for a minute without moving, assuming my hip was now fully messed up again. But after a minute, no pain came, and I slowly popped right up on my feet. I got a sweet bruise on my hip where the metal crushed the vessels and I was sore for a few days, but nothing worse came of it. It gave me a lot of hope for the strength of these things. However, I have a metal prosthesis, and I've heard two stories of similar accidents that have shattered ceramic prosthetics, so keep that in mind. But from now on my motorcycle ATGATT will certainly have generous amounts of hip armor.

"The subframe bolts have sheared off? No, we don't have any replacements. Perhaps some chicken wire will do the job?"
Neubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #83
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Nine weeks out and walking 2.5 miles non stop! Up and down stairs no hands too. Might try to mow the lawn tomorrow.

Today was the first day I woke up without major stiffness and discomfort, what a relief!!!

Aaaahhhhhhhh

Congratulations!!

Yesterday was six weeks for me. I started doing some walking earlier this week without the crutches, and things are loosening up very nicely.

Don't tell my doctor, but I actually took both the R90 and the KLR out last evening for a total of about 20 miles. All I can say is WHOO HOO!!! It's so strange to ride without any pain or discomfort whatsoever, but I think that I will be able to get used to it pretty quickly. I really had to do a ride, as I went out and bought myself a new Olympia jacket last week and I've been dying to try it.
I have an appointment at UC Davis on Wednesday, and I'm hoping that they'll okay me to start ridig a bicycle. I've lost about 18 pounds so far, and it'd be really nice to continue that trend.

Steve McQueen

Old 07-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #84
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Awsome

I am stoked for everyone who is doing well. I am coming up on one year since surgery. I am taking the family down to Cabo to go surfing, as a family. Hadn't been able to do that a year ago due to the pain and muscle weakness.
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #85
dynodon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I had both hips replaced about 5 years ago over one winter. I had had pain for many years, probably 10, and had seen all sorts of Dr.s and quacks. Quacks included chiropracters and massage therapy. None of it worked of course. Was starting to take some heavy duty pain medicine and didn't like it, didn't help much either.

finally saw a dr that showed me an x-ray with my right hip. No cartiledge, almost no ball in the joint! bone on bone for years. The Left wasn't as bad, but was also bone on bone. No wonder I walked funny.

Also, I could not spread my legs far enough apart to get on a motorcycle or even get my feet around a typical lawn tractor.

Got new right hip, and within 3 days was walking with a lot of help, and 4 weeks was walking with a cane, and took my wife dancing for the first time in years. About 2 months later, did the other hip. This time was walking almost the next day. The difference? First hip was traditional long cut J shaped opening. Second hip was modified cut about 1/2 the length. I asked my Dr. about the new hip replacement that had just two tiny cuts and he wasn't comfortable with that. Probably is now, and if you can get that, the smaller the cut, the quicker and safer the recovery.

Before surgery I had major pain in both knees and ankles. I was within a few weeks of ordering a wheelchair.

Today, I am pain free, including ankles and knees. Riding my motorcycle (Dr. doesn't like that, he says wrecks are bad enough, but with all that stainless steel in your legs, it can get messy, still I only have so many years left, and want to enjoy them fully) and walking more. I still have to watch it, and at just 55 when I had the surgery done I may have to have them replaced once more (Dr. said I wasn't the youngest double hip he had done, but I was close).

Today when I see people hobble around in obvious pain I KNOW what their problem is and advise them to get the hip surgery done sooner rather than later. It wasn't as bad as I thought.

Heck I used to hat dancing, but after hospital gowns, catheters, hospital baths, and more, being embarrassed on a dance floor is the least of my worries!
My Avitar? Intake manifold of the V6 Yamaha engine in the 89-95 Ford Taurus SHO. My "cage" love!
dynodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #86
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Well, I have another update that hopefully will spur anyone on who's on the fence about getting work done to relieve pain.

The surgeon at UC Davis realeased me from my crutches on 7/16. The only restriction I was given was the following: "Don't do anything stupid. Don't dislocate your hip. Have at it big fella."

I've had at it.

I've been able to put on about 500 miles on both bikes over the last week, and today my family and I hiked a trail on Donner Summit that was just short of 5 miles. I'm simply amazed that I am able to do this at the 8-week mark in my recovery. There were many rest stops along the way, of course, and I'm plenty sore, (mostly my back and right ankle) but things went better than I could have hoped for. My longest stretch was just over a mile, and there was some very rough terrain and elevation changes. All in all, I couldn't be more pleased with how things have progressed.

I am a truly lucky guy.

Steve McQueen

Old 07-24-2008, 03:57 AM   #87
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,212
That's good to hear Al!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #88
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Way to go Al! I still haven't ridden yet, my bike is tall and heavy and I'm chicken to get on it. My surgeon gave me a stern warning when he released me from the hospital - "you athletic guys screw it up all the time by pushing too hard too fast." I've been heeding that warning as best I can.

Last weekend I walked 4 miles non-stop! Most of it was on a dirt road with a slight incline.

It felt fantastic.

So have some massages and acupunture.

4 miles non-stop?!?! You animal!! I'll get there soon, but for now my body is readjusting to using both legs properly. Suprisingly enough, there's very little soreness today, and I plan to get what's left to go away by swimming.
I've already dropped 20 lbs. during this whole process, and I'd love to exercise about 25-30 more off. It can be done, but I need to be cautious about doing too much, too soon.

Steve McQueen

Old 07-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #89
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Congrats Al,
I knew you would recover fairly fast. It seems like it will take forever at first........
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #90
MrVvrroomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I haven't looked at this post in a while. I had my surgery done by Dr. Carlson, at St. Francis in Shakopee, MN.

I had my right hip totally replaced 2 days before Thanksgiving '07. I returned to work the Monday after Thanksgiving, yes 1 week later. I'm 47 years old. My replacement was due to hereditary arthritis and abuse.

These pics were snapped 2 weeks ago at Deal's Gap, eight months after total hip replacement.

MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote