User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
minibikepilot OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
How to uncork my 04' 625 SXC

OK..let's get down to it..i want to get the most out f this thing..i heard about a power now addition?..what other mods have people done to make these things come alive...sprockets?, aftermarket exhaust systems???..
the bike is bone stock except a JD jet kit..
minibikepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer: 600
My 625

Akra exhaust, correct jetting, Boysen accelerator pump cover....... all that I will ever need. Oh did I mention suspension upgrade, larger tank and comfort seat???
Attached Images

Tuff Tunica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
snaggleXR650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Airbox mods are common. You can buy a KTM vented side cover that greatly increases flow into the airbox. The previous owner of my SXC simply took a hacksaw to the top of the airbox and cut it out about as big as it can get. If you have $ to burn, you can buy a full Akrapovic system, but the stock system is good, and relatively quiet. Better $ is spent on springs/suspension, larger gas tank, comfy seat etc...
snaggleXR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibikepilot
OK..let's get down to it...
Ya might try gettin' down to it in the much heralded "LC4 Index Thread".

Most of your questions answers reside therein...
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Taki
Waiting for Godot

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff Tunica
Akra exhaust, correct jetting, Boysen accelerator pump cover....... all that I will ever need. Oh did I mention suspension upgrade, larger tank and comfort seat???
Keep choking on the Akra for my o4 SXC, is it really worth it? I've already done the suspension and other things but 900 on a pipe on a $4000 bike is hard to justify. Is it a "holy crap" kinda mod or a "its better the money's spent, might as well enjoy it" kinda thing?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer: 507
All reports are that the '04 pipes and can are quite good, plus it's a sparky. Not sure how much you can gain with the airbox mods. My '04 is pretty strong with the snorkle off and JD jetting. I think once you've done that, put any additional money into the suspension and tires, and ride the thing.
DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant
'01 Aprilia Fuono
'94 Miata CSP
fallzboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
Taki
Waiting for Godot

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallzboater
All reports are that the '04 pipes and can are quite good, plus it's a sparky. Not sure how much you can gain with the airbox mods. My '04 is pretty strong with the snorkle off and JD jetting. I think once you've done that, put any additional money into the suspension and tires, and ride the thing.
I have a Precision Concepts shock, 48mm Race tech forks, RTT 18mm offset triple tree with damper, and JD jetting. I do ride it too.
My question is how much does the Akra exhaust add to the power? Worth the $1000?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:33 PM   #8
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,807
If you can spin the rear wheel you don't need the exhaust.
b.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #9
DirtMerchant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki
I have a Precision Concepts shock, 48mm Race tech forks, RTT 18mm offset triple tree with damper, and JD jetting. I do ride it too.
My question is how much does the Akra exhaust add to the power? Worth the $1000?
I am not sure I'd say if it will turn a tire it is good but I have an 03 SXC and while it does not have the FCR I am really happy with the stock exhaust. I think if it is jetted properly your not really going to see that much difference with the Akra exaust vs. SXC stock.

I'll save the grand for more important things but some people won't agree; all I can say is more power to 'em...........
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #10
WaterWheel
Multi Talentless

Oddometer: 18,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki
I installed the entire Akra Ti system on my '04, opened up the air box and rejetted. There is definitely more power than with the stock system. It seems to breathe a lot better and roars more than it used to in the mid to upper RPM range. With the larger diameter headers and can, the flow is improved greatly. I have the dB eater and it sound checked at 91dB this fall at a DS ride.

Is it worth a grand?? I don't know - I bought mine used off of a part out for $450. It was worth the $ at that price. I will say it is a lot lighter and the workmanship is top notch - BUT - like you said before, it's hard to justify $1,000 pipes on a $4,000 machine.