User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,819
Thumb 19/17 Setup Review

Well I finally got to test ride my new 19/17 setup and all I can say is WOW!

I ran a 380 mile test loop on some of Colorado's best roads.

My goal for this set up is to have a pure street kit, so I can swap between my dirt wheels (21/18 - D606/D908), which I run most of the time; and a pure street set-up (19/17 - Conti Trai Attack F & R) for the occasional road blast and for winter riding/commuting when the hills are snowed in.

I love the way the bike handles. The 950 in standard form is great and handles well, but the 19/17 really transform the bike. There is a reason why all the street oriented DS bikes use this set up: it simply works!

The stability and hook up in the corners reminds me of my old Kawasaki ZX-6. I spooned on a set of the new Conti Trail Attack and could not be happier. I used to be a big fan of Anakees when I had my GS, by I must say I think these are better, certainly stickier. How well they hold up and how long they wear is yet to be seen, but in the traction department they are certainly better.

I went with silver rims because I spoon on my own tires and don't want to be bothered by having to be careful not to scuff up fancy color anodized rims. Second because I got a good deal on a used rear rim from Woody's Wheel Works where I had the wheels built. I got a good deal on line on a used OEM wheel set and just had it re-sized and super laced by Woody. Of course I went with tubes, cause everyone knows that tubeless on regular spoked wheels is experimental and only good for short intervals.

I actually like the 19/17 set-up better than the 17/17 I had on my supermoto, it's less nervous and twitchy. I do not have a steering damper, but the bike is very stable at all speeds, to include top speed runs and hard decelerations and accelerations. In the corners the extra meat up front really lets you drive the bike through the corners like it's on rails.

For gearing I decided to run 17T-42T for the 19/17 set-up & 17T-45T for the dirt wheels, This allows me to keep a 17T up front which is more chain wear friendly and drop down to a 16T-45T for some extreme dirt and single track; all without having to change the chain.

I got to make a couple of runs up and down Independence Pass without any cars in sight. This was the last day the pass was open for the season. What a blast this road is:

Well, I just can't take the shit eating grin off my face. The 19/17 set-up on the 950 is that much fun.

PS Sorry for the immage size

Later Dan

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 11-05-2007 at 03:23 PM
Yellow Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 16,778
Dan- does the smaller rear wheel affect the speed of the bike any? I have a 17 / 17 combo that I haven't even tried yet. I'm gonna run 16 T / 42T when I get it on the road.
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Not really since I'm running 17T-42T for Street & 17T (16t)-45T for Dirt. This keeps the speed and gearing ratios the same for different wheel sizes.

16T-42T might be a bit too short for a 17/17 set up. Would be great for racing on a go cart track, but I think it will be too buzy for road use.

I'll be curious to see how th 17/17 feels? Wonder if it will be as twitchy as they say?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

One thing I forgot to mention is that it makes the sidestand difficult to use. With 19/17 or 17/17 the sidestand becomes too long.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 16,778
Fehh! I ditched the side stand for a centerstand. Good to know, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
One thing I forgot to mention is that it makes the sidestand difficult to use. With 19/17 or 17/17 the sidestand becomes too long.
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Anyone try this set up with the Super Enduro?

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Stinkerbelle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Laugh 17/19"

I've been running a 17/19" set up but with Avon Distanzia tyres for about 3 month (when work allows) and all I can say is 'WOW!'

The turn in is sharper, the stabillity stronger, the drive out of corners is 'deeper', I can even touch the floor at junctions!

The side stand is not an issue on UK '03 spec bike, but I took off the wide disc which I see is still on your side stand foot. I have heard '03/04 bikes were taller though...

Really pleased with the new set up (if not the bank balance)
Stinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #8
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
17/19 rocks.

I've had mine with Distanzia's for about 6 months. It works very, very well. (Even for occasional off-raod use when I'm too lazy to change wheels, or when we somehow wind-up doing un-planned off-road).
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #9
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

This is 19/17 Anonymous!

Please join us.

My name is Dan and I'm............
Old 11-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
hawgu82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Looks purdy good there Dan. Hey, I got an old pair of snow ski's if ya wanna mount 'em up front.
Looks like winter's settin in on ya. I'll bet that 17/19 combo hooks up a lot better when the roads warm up next summer. ---Mark---
Old 11-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
imgonnasnap
Motard wrecker

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf
Yes.. if you search my posts in orange crush & west you'll see tons of photo's with the 19/17 setup for my SE.
ride the $*#(@) thing, and you'll quickly learn that the stain marks in your brooks were firstly from fear and then from ecstacy.
Scuderia: LB to SF
Bradshaw Bombrun 2007, 2008, 2009
Stupidly long road trip of 2009
imgonnasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #12
cheldenbrand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
19/17's on a 990 with ABS?

I have a new 990 Adv and would love to have two sets of rims. Has anyone tried the 19/17 set up on the 990 Adv with ABS? I would love to have an extra set of rims with for the street and knobs for the dirty stuff. And as long as we are on the subject of street biased equip... what about brakes? Anyone switched to a stronger brake pad such as the EBC? I feel like the brakes could use just a bit more oomph in the stopping dept. What I really want is a Super Enduro with brakes off the Super Duke. Not very realistic but sometimes it would be nice.
cheldenbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #13
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

I had no isses with braking power. The seat of my pants dyno tells me there is more braking power w/ the 19 than w/ the 21. If you think about it, it makes logical sense:

1- Larger contact patch w/ the asphalt.
2- Since the wheel diameter is smaller there is less leverage force on the brakes.

Imagine the axle as the fulcrum, the brake (B) as the effort and the tire/asphalt contact point [where the red hand is (A)] the load.

Also known as a second class lever.

The greater the distance between A & B the greater the load, which means more effort is required

Not sure if this will make sense to many people. Oh well!

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 11-05-2007 at 08:44 PM
Yellow Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #14
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Regarding the ABS I'm not sure what the results would be since I assume the ABS is calibrated for a set wheel diameter and stopping resistance, then again it might just sense wheel lock-up and let up on the brakes?!?!
Old 11-06-2007, 04:08 AM   #15
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf
Yeah, I got Woody's 19/17 on my 07 SE also. Fantastic setup. I would recommend to anyone who wants the best of both worlds.
never2old4fun is offline   Reply With Quote