User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
rpilottx OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
BMW Sertao vs KTM 690R

OK, the local BMW dealer has a 2012 Sertao with 5000 miles on it for $8000 and a 2011 KTM690R with 1900 miles for $10000. Which is a better buy?

Now, I have owned two 640's (both R and Adventure) and a KLR650 which I sold a few months ago. The 690 is without a doubt a better off road machine while the Sertao is good offroad but much more comfortable on the highway. And I know only I can determine which would be better for me.

My question is does either bike stand out with maintenance problems? Unfortunately, the KTM dealership here went out of business a few years ago and I am loath to trust the local KTM dealer with anything I own. I managed to ride the 690SM a few years ago and was really impressed with the engine compared to the 640. And the BMW thumper is a 100,000 mile plus rotax engine.

My present ride is a GSA which I will be keeping. So let the comments begin.
rpilottx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Msrp is $10,299 on a brand new 690. I paid $9,700 for my 2013 a few months ago so I can't really understand the pricing there. Bmw will be a bit better on the road while ktm shines in the dirt. Since you have a bsa for street I would say go for the ktm... but i'm biased.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
IndyChizzle
Inspired by Trevor W

Oddometer: 942
I've owned both a F650GS and a KTM 690. While the BMW is likely the better buy, the bike left me cold. The motor was dependably slow. The KTM gave me joy every time I rode it. The only thing that made me sell it was the bad design they had for the speedometer (which has since been fixed). If you're buying a bike as an investment (always a dangerous idea), the BMW is your pick. If you're buying a bike to enjoy, the KTM will bring a smile to your face. Enjoy your travels, wherever they may take you.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
rpilottx OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for Pricing Info

Both bikes are located at Barnett's in El Paso. Barnett's has never been known for good pricing. I did not know the MSRP of the KTM. Of course, now I know and can bargain if I decide to go that route.

Looking at an 07 KLR650 in Peru with hard bags for $2000. I may just fly down, tour South America and then sell it to some other AdvRider. I mean it costs about $1000 just to ship the bike from Panama to Columbia.

And I have not been on AdvRider for several months so perhaps this has been posted but a young friend of mine (25 years old) did a video of 23000 miles of riding (Alaska and Tierra del Fuego) and it has had about 2 million hits on YouTube and Facebook. GoPro just flew him to India to make a marketing video while riding an Enfield in the Himalayas. If you have not seen the video, check it out under Alex Chacon at yourexpeditionsouth.

rpilottx screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 05:34 PM
Old 08-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Harry Potter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Check the Watts

The BMW runs 400 watts and the KTM is hard to find but could be under 290 watts. After a day of trails I to often I have to ride home in the cold and the dark and thus need watts to feed heated clothing and Aux. lights to avoid deer. Thats the number 1 reason why I have stuck with the 650GS and #2 would be I have a 70 mile run to get to the Missouri river banks. Being albe to comfortably cruise 75 on the Interstate gives me more energy and time to play.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 16,516
Rich....the Sertao mill is produced under license by Loncin in China - Rotax hasn't produced the 650 singles for quite a while.

The Husqvarna TR650 Terra is a kissin' cousin to the Sertao, but the motor has been breathed on a bit, good for another 8-10hp with forged piston, higher compression, hotter cam / timing -- with the motor also produced by Loncin.
They msrp'd at $6,999....so you might add that to your search.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
I second the Terra 650

Both prices are rather high, even for dealer sales. If you already have a GSA go for the KTM between those two.

I agree with the last post. When consumer news evaluated the Terra they liked it better than the Serato in almost every way and it is also quite a good bargain new (especially now that BMW sold Husqvarna to KTM). For a new bike, the Terra has a number of bolt ons available from the factory.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2013JanTR650.pdf
dankatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 16,516
Rich....I'm not recommending the Terra without good reason

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
In the DFW market the Sertao (2012) I've seen sell for $6995.00 used and the KTM 690R (2008) for $6495.00 used. The dealer is way out of line on both bikes, but dealers just sell their used bikes high, were all in business to make money and probably someone will pay their price. Plus BMW is giving away a set of variable side cases with the purchase of a new 2013 Sertao, you need to know what is available out there to the buying public, use Motorcycle Rebates website and Kelly Blue for Motorcycles. On Kelly Blue Book website when you look up a bike, look at both the wholesale and the dealer retail price and then read the fine print on what is says about each bike. You will find that many have their bikes priced well about dealer retail.

John

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/

http://www.motorcycle.com/motorcycle-incentives.html
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #10
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
A buddy of mine has a 690. That thing is a beast. Have not ridden the BMW, but the KTM has the most amazing thumper engine available. The BMW is likely a more "rational" choice, but that KTM just makes my heart beat faster. It is an exciting bike for sure!
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #11
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 6,262
The 690 brings me a grin every time I ride it.
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
rpilottx OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the Replies

I looked at theTerra a few months ago but was concerned with parts available since BMW had just sold Husky to KTM. It is still an option. Additionally, I knew the used bikes were high, I just had not looked at thumpers in a couple years. I will probably go ride them tomorrow.

However, a friend has a 2007 KLR650 for sale in Peru for $2000. I just returned from 2 weeks in Peru with my daughter and really enjoyed it. Since air freight around the Darien Gap is about $1000, I may just go tour SA this winter and sell the KLR six months from now to another gringo for $1500.

Know the GSA is not in the same class as a 650 thumper but it does not even have 50000 miles on it yet. Also, considering a DR650 which is lighter, pretty bomb proof and half the price of the two other bikes.

rpilottx screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 10:01 PM
Old 08-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
rpilottx, I think you need to get your facts together about BMW, Husqvarna, and KTM. First BMW owens the writes to the Rotax 650 engine that they have used in their bikes for years, second BMW did buy Husqvarna and did develop the Terra and the Strada which they put the Rotax 650 in that bike. Husqvarna is now sold to KTM (Piere) as BMW could not make a profit with the Husky line and after millions of dollars thrown at the Husky line, BMW has taken their loses and moved on. It is rumored that BMW did not sell KTM (Piere) the rights to the Terra and the Strads, Piere owns the controlling interest in KTM and he has taken the Husqvarna line himself. Husky's will be made in the KTM plant and the old Husqvarna plant will be shutdown, August 2013 was the date I read. Remember BMW owns the rights to the Rotax 650 they have used for years, BMW developed the Terra and Strata at BMW when they owned it, I wouldn't look for the new Huskies to have BMW (Rotax 650's) engines in them, maybe the Strada and Terra will survive with other Husky or KTM engines. From what I have read I don't think that the new Huskies have even said what they are going to manufacture, I read that they won't have bikes to sell until 2015.

John

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
c3eh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Ill throw my 2 cents in because I just bought a Sertao, I love it but I am biased obviously. Ive never ridden a KTM but have heard they're amazing machines. I know the 650gs platform is bullet proof, I started my riding on an '09 G650GS. Obviously the sertao is more for the street that is why I bought it, and light offroad, plus I like the way it looks. Price does seem high, I can't speak for the KTM but others have touched on it.

Really just ask yourself "Why am I buying this bike, what am I going to do with it?"

but I know one thing indecision may or may not be my problem.....
c3eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
rpilottx OP
Beastly Adventurer

So What Did I Get Wrong

I basically said that I decided not to buy a Husky until it was known if parts would be available for them from BMW. What did I get wrong? None of these posts seem to answer that question and the local dealer does not know either.

And as I said in the first post, only I can make the decision as to which bike to buy. I was looking for pricing and was given that and also wondering if either bike had specific issues which would influence my decision. Honestly, the big BMW takes care of 90 percent of my riding desires but it can not really go some places where a 650 dual sport can.

Lots of dual sports available at cheaper prices using older technology. In my opinion the best bang for the buck right now is a Suzuki DR 650 but it is certainly not the tech leader in dual sports which perhaps it can be argued that the KTM or BMW might be. And they come with a price to match.