Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
NAVIGATOR OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,697
Some info on a Kawi Kx 500

Hi fellow ADV riders,

I´ve found a clean 2001 Kawasaki Kx 500 (two stroke) that´s for sale, it has a new piston and ring.

As I bet someone here knows or rides a bike like this I ask for your advice.

¿Can you please tell me of the problems that I have to be aware of with this bike and what upgrades may I have to do to it?

Thank you as always

NAVIGATOR
NAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
500cc 2 strokes are very reliable due to the fact that the engine is never working very hard. They have huge amounts of power and are fun as hell but very unforgiving.
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
My 380 is vibey. They tell me a 500 will rattle your teeth. You do get used to it somewhat.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Have you ever ridden or owned a big bore 2 stroke? I can't foresee any problems other than hanging on when you go WFO. 500cc 2 strokes are crazy fast and make huge power. They are also a dying breed having been replaced by 4 strokes.If a CR500 or KX 500 came my way at the right price I would grab it. Full throttle acceleration is like the Star Ship Enterprise going to warp speed, things zip by really quick and blurry. A two stroke engine has fewer parts than a modern 4 stroke, so a rebuild is way cheaper. If you keep the air filter clean and change the gearbox oil frequently it should give you long service. Lugging the engine can fowl the plug, no big deal, keep a spare. BUY IT or tell me where it is.
smokeeater495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
badcooky
I see dumb people!

Oddometer: 1,129
500's are way fun,but some people have problems with them.
KX500's have a wicked top end hit but are hard to jet correctly down low so they can seem to come on all at once.
Good bike comfortable seat.
badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
kgwld1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
No matter what they say it needs a topend sellers always say they just did this.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Oddometer: 1,717
A KX 500 is a good bike with a pretty reliable bottom end ,better than a CR 500 I believe they do have a plated cylinder that will wear over time but then it can be sleeved with an Iron sleeve.A KX 500 can be a bear to kick over and can also break kickstart levers while kicking over they do not have a compression release port like a CR 500.Fuel mileage for a full tank of fuel is between 25 to 45 miles at best.With the proper pipe and jetting they will lug pretty decent without fouling spark plugs as long as you romp on them every once in a while to clean the engine out.Once jetted correctly I replaced my plug once or twice a year for good measure -- not because I had to.When mine had a Pro circuit pipe it was easier to tune then when it had an FMF Fatty pipe but the Pro Circuit liked to crack.My current boss has owned 3 of them an 85 an 86 and the current one which around a 2000 year model.If you buy one grow some kick starting muscles and always wear your MX boots when kicking.
Brainless_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
badcooky
I see dumb people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainless450x
A KX 500 is a good bike with a pretty reliable bottom end ,better than a CR 500 I believe they do have a plated cylinder that will wear over time but then it can be sleeved with an Iron sleeve.A KX 500 can be a bear to kick over and can also break kickstart levers while kicking over they do not have a compression release port like a CR 500.Fuel mileage for a full tank of fuel is between 25 to 45 miles at best.With the proper pipe and jetting they will lug pretty decent without fouling spark plugs as long as you romp on them every once in a while to clean the engine out.Once jetted correctly I replaced my plug once or twice a year for good measure -- not because I had to.When mine had a Pro circuit pipe it was easier to tune then when it had an FMF Fatty pipe but the Pro Circuit liked to crack.My current boss has owned 3 of them an 85 an 86 and the current one which around a 2000 year model.If you buy one grow some kick starting muscles and always wear your MX boots when kicking.
Most of this is garbage, brainless garbage actually.
Cr500 bottom end is awesome it's idiots who screw up the fuel ratio that wreck big ends.My old Cr500's went all their lives on the original bottom ends.
Screw a steel sleeve they only lead to failures in the barrel,nikasil in the big KX is scetchy at best ,get it replated.
It's not a release port it's a relief in the barrel of the cr500.
Easy to kick over if jetted right no biggie.
Always wear MX boots kickin' an MX'er anyway.
85 and 86 KX500 is a totally different bike than what we are talking about.
But there will be resistance to what i've posted i'm sure.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by badcooky
Most of this is garbage, brainless garbage actually.
Cr500 bottom end is awesome it's idiots who screw up the fuel ratio that wreck big ends.My old Cr500's went all their lives on the original bottom ends.
Screw a steel sleeve they only lead to failures in the barrel,nikasil in the big KX is scetchy at best ,get it replated.
It's not a release port it's a relief in the barrel of the cr500.
Easy to kick over if jetted right no biggie.
Always wear MX boots kickin' an MX'er anyway.
85 and 86 KX500 is a totally different bike than what we are talking about.
But there will be resistance to what i've posted i'm sure.
-And How many KX 500s have you owned?
-If you would read my post completely you would notice my boss has owned -3 of these bikes including a newer 2000 model year.
-The Kawasaki dealer in my town has been a Kawasaki dealer for 41 years and has never replaced a rod due to failure.
-Between I and 3 friends we have had 3 KX 500 cylinders sleeved and never had a problem afterwards plus when it becomes time to rebuild there is the option to bore that steel sleeve if needed

I am here to lend some friendly advice and that is all. If I wanted to argue with someone I would give my Ex wife a call.
Brainless_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
badcooky
I see dumb people!

It's pointless if the advise is wrong though.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:08 AM   #11
NAVIGATOR OP
Wanderer

Woha there fellows!!!, It wasn´t my idea to start a Kx-CR debate, just some facts that can help me make a decision.

I´m going to see the bike today and want to know what to ask, that comment about "just rebuilt top end is a good one"

Thanks again

NAVIGATOR
Old 11-16-2008, 07:05 AM   #12
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,097
I raced open class for about 10 years. 2 Maicos, 480 Honda, 2 KX 500s. I say buy it!!! If you have never owned one it will be a memorable experience. They are loud, they vibrate, can be hard to start, they eat up tires and chains and sprockets like you won't believe and are an absolute blast to ride. Acceleration is fierce, get the bike straight and hang on with your arms and legs. The heavy flywheel effect makes then hard to turn ( tap the brakes and kill some rpms) but you can make it up in the next straight. All of the good things and all of the bad things you hear are true. --Have fun!
rufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
They are great for going fast in a straight line, anywhere else a modernish 250 will be faster and a modern 450 four stroke faster still. The chassis is dated and that huge crank makes a 225lbs bike feel like a 300lbs bike. The power is good, but not really all its cracked up to be. About 55hp in stock form which is 6-8hp more than a good running modern 250cc two stroke and about 2-5hp more than a good running 450. They don't need to be revved much (which is good b/c they don't really rev), the power is right there and they are fairly light. For racing up a sand dune there's nothing that will keep up, but for mx, woods or most anything else a 500cc 2T is not my cuppa (and I've owned two of them in the past).

The CR500 and KX500's are not that different, but a little different. I'd rank the KX ahead for dez stuff and the CR ahead for tighter work. The CR has a bit more modern ergonomics, but a more dated motor. The KX has 1980's egros, but at least has a power valve and plated cylinder. The KX revs out a bit higher than the CR and makes a touch more power than the CR. The CR snaps of the botton and is a bit more nimble than the KX. They both have bulletproof bottom ends. CR's tend to grenade their pistions as the stock cast piston just isn't up the the violence of combustion in that bike. Replace with a forged wiseco (cheap and easy) and it will last fairly well. People say they last forever as they are so understressed, but that's not really the case. In general my CR250R goes further on a top end than my CR500Rs ever did - gotta love the advances of modern technology.

At one time I thought they were hard to start, but I was 125lbs and on an '87 CR500 at the time. After a couple years I gained 20lbs and moved to a '90 model and suddenly it was as easy as pie to start (the 90+ CR's have decompression ports which make starting much easier). The KX's aren't bad starting either.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703

BikePilot screwed with this post 11-16-2008 at 03:24 PM
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #14
NAVIGATOR OP
Wanderer

Well I got it, and will post soon how I feel about the monster.

I apreciete all your "wise" advice.

NAVIGATOR
Old 11-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #15
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVIGATOR View Post
Well I got it, and will post soon how I feel about the monster.

I apreciete all your "wise" advice.

NAVIGATOR
So............whatever happened here?