Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2009, 03:35 AM   #166
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure
and you just lost the rugby tonight again

Not me mate, I was born in Wellington, NZ.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:45 AM   #167
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME
Not me mate, I was born in Wellington, NZ.
I was wondering where you got the Bro from.
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #168
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Have any of you guys tried the Staintune exhaust.

http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts...0X_Exhaust.htm

Staintune is no good for our type of riding as it does not have a spark arrestor so it would not be allowed on any of the events or forest trips with out one. Staintune does not have a spark arrestor attachment as well. So its only a look good exhaust for the road
Old 07-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #169
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Leo Vince 3606 G650 X-Challenge exhaust

I should have the new exhaust installed on the bike tomorrow

Also included is a USFS (united States Forestry Service) approved spark arrestor

kiwiAdventure screwed with this post 07-21-2009 at 04:17 AM
Old 07-24-2009, 01:47 AM   #170
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Leo Vince 3606 G650 X-Challenge exhaust
I fitted the exhaust today and can not believe how light the right side of the bike is now and it sounds really nice I also don't have to left the right leg so high over the bike. The only thing I may have to change is the screws which hold the two heat guards on are a bit short and I'll get some slightly longer screws.

The bike did run a bit rough on slowing down but after a few ks it settle down. I'm now waiting for the Ohlins to arrive and this should sort out the front of the bike diving under braking.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:38 AM   #171
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Hey Kiwi how much did the LV set you back?
olyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #172
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyflyer
Hey Kiwi how much did the LV set you back?
$650.00us including tax and delivery
Old 07-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #173
ropedrag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
LV exhaust story.....

Purchased the LV can and installed without issue. The first time I went to change out the tail pipe insert with one of those supplied (4 total, 2 short and 2 long so you can run either short or long with the also supplied spark arrest screen insert) two of the three back cover bolts snapped off. The LV response was to send the can in at which time they would determine if it is a warranty issue. I asked how long this process would take, the answer was 4 to 6 weeks. Not acceptable, I asked if I can take it to any of the local retailers that sell LV so they can look at it and report, the answer was a strong NO. To avoid not being able to ride, and I commute on the bike, I drilled and tapped the damn things myself. Then after only two rides using the spark arrest screen insert the screen has completely failed and came apart.

I'm not really interested in anyone's comments and my only motive it to share what I feel to be a crap product with crap customer service.

Also, unrelated to the QA/QC issue, if you have one of these check the heat shield cover bolts often.

ropedrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #174
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropedrag
LV exhaust story.....

Purchased the LV can and installed without issue. The first time I went to change out the tail pipe insert with one of those supplied (4 total, 2 short and 2 long so you can run either short or long with the also supplied spark arrest screen insert) two of the three back cover bolts snapped off. The LV response was to send the can in at which time they would determine if it is a warranty issue. I asked how long this process would take, the answer was 4 to 6 weeks. Not acceptable, I asked if I can take it to any of the local retailers that sell LV so they can look at it and report, the answer was a strong NO. To avoid not being able to ride, and I commute on the bike, I drilled and tapped the damn things myself. Then after only two rides using the spark arrest screen insert the screen has completely failed and came apart.

I'm not really interested in anyone's comments and my only motive it to share what I feel to be a crap product with crap customer service.

Also, unrelated to the QA/QC issue, if you have one of these check the heat shield cover bolts often.

Oh.......................that was on my list

Maybe now it's not

Guess the LV can is cheap for a reason

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #175
ropedrag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer
Oh.......................that was on my list

Maybe now it's not

Guess the LV can is cheap for a reason
If you can by from a local shop and have them commit to deal with any issue that may arise that would be good.

ropedrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #176
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropedrag
If you can by from a local shop and have them commit to deal with any issue that may arise that would be good.
I purchased my LV can through are local BMW dealer and they got the can from the local importer so I'm totally covered. Even if it does fail I'll just put the original can back on and get my money back for the LV can . We have very strong laws here for faulty goods even it is a second or on sale the same laws apply.

Always try and support you local suppliers

I decided to fit the spark arrest tonight and not wait until I had to fit it. I will not be taking it out as I won't be changing the internal fittings.

The screws were a little tight and probably would be even be tighter after running the bike with things heating up. I won't need to take the end fitting off again as the arrestor is there for the life of the can, but I have not overly tightened the screws up.

kiwiAdventure screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 12:25 AM
Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #177
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,592
Remus header with stock can?

Picked up a used X Ch. that has a full Remus freeride system and though nice and light, don't care for the noise. I do have the full stock system but was thinking of just leaving the header and putting the stock can back on.
Anybody happen to have done this and was it about like the stock system since the can may negate any header benefit? I understand it won't be as free flowing but asking more if this would make the bike run worse. I'll probably just swap and see but just curious if anyone has exp. with something like this.

Thanks for any info.
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #178
Lankbrown
No Pain No Gain

Oddometer: 63
Staintune exhaust to loud

Any one had experience with putting an insert into staintune exhaust. the standard pipe is 92 dbs but it's really loud under acceleration or at high revs in the bush. Good produce but they were unable to recommend anything to reduce that bark. It will definetly wake the neiphbours on the way to work in the morning.
Lankbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:25 AM   #179
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankbrown
Any one had experience with putting an insert into staintune exhaust. the standard pipe is 92 dbs but it's really loud under acceleration or at high revs in the bush. Good produce but they were unable to recommend anything to reduce that bark. It will definetly wake the neiphbours on the way to work in the morning.

I`ve got a Staintune, and yes it is loud under load. I think you would be hard pressed to find a free flowing muffler that isn`t a bit anti social under hard acceleration.

Funny thing though, I recently took the Staintune off and re-fitted a semi gutted original Xc muffler, which looks like it still has the cat, but not much else from about 2/3 the way back.

It is quite loud, but improves performance markedly over the standard original, and even the Staintune.

I`m going to get a noise test done at an aftermarket exhaust manufacturer this week; it will be interesting to see just just how loud it is.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #180
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
Those LeoVince bolts are stainless, bolted into the stainless end cap. As we know this combination can very easily lead to the thread "eating itself" (don't know how to express it better in English). You should always use some form form of anti-seize on these threads. Copaslip, alu-grease. Even plain bearing grease.

I can't remember it being mentioned in the LV's manual though....

Good luck with the LV rep.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote