Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
EmmEff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,724
Another new TomTom Rider announced today

Link here

According to the web page, it will available in April 2015. Not much new to see here yet as TomTom has stayed pretty quiet about new features. Rotatable display is new.

If nothing else, it's competition with Garmin at some level. The (now) previous generation Rider is around $300 on Amazon.com, hopefully the new one comes in near that street price as well. Just to give an idea of the feature set, the previous version included lifetime maps, handsfree calling via Bluetooth, some interesting routing options, trip recording, and a few other minor things.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
gundrted
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
The pics are nice. I tried to click on 'stay informed' assuming I could sing up for email updates but the link didn't work .... boooo
gundrted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
Onetrack97
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I was all set to buy the Zumo 590LM but I'm reading too many horror stories.

Might wait a while. Garmin does seem to get the software right eventually. Anyone have real world Tomtom Moto experience?

Thanks,
Scott
Onetrack97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
drrod1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I have about 100k miles on a TT920. Only problem was the audioout jack failed. Other than that, it has worked well. Ziploc or pocket when it rains.
From what I can tell, it does everything the MC specific ones do as far as routing, etc. Everytime I tried to drink the Garmin Kool-Aid I choked...at the price. 920's show up on eBay periodically for about $100.

http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/TTGO%2...New%20Spec.pdf

Rod
drrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
gundrted
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrod1 View Post
I have about 100k miles on a TT920. Only problem was the audioout jack failed. Other than that, it has worked well. Ziploc or pocket when it rains.
From what I can tell, it does everything the MC specific ones do as far as routing, etc. Everytime I tried to drink the Garmin Kool-Aid I choked...at the price. 920's show up on eBay periodically for about $100.

Rod
Have you had issues with dirt or dust? I'm debating getting an Ram AquaBox for my older Garmin Nuvi. I know its a different brand, but its still a GPS :)
gundrted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:16 AM   #6
Onetrack97
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrod1 View Post

Rod
I'm guessing that it's not truly sunlight readable, correct?

Same issue when using a phone.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:53 AM   #7
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetrack97 View Post
I'm guessing that it's not truly sunlight readable, correct?

Same issue when using a phone.

Oops, you might have missed the part about IPS displays, waterproof, etc. in the last few years of phones.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:32 AM   #8
Onetrack97
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Oops, you might have missed the part about IPS displays, waterproof, etc. in the last few years of phones.
Yes, I have one.

At one time, displays were either reflective or transmissive. This was due to the limitation of the LCD technology. As the LCD technology improved, they were able to create transflective displays that reflected some of the light from the front.

Today, all displays are probably somewhat transflective. Go take your phone into direct sunlight and compare it to a really good transflective and there will be a huge difference.

To test this, take your phone, turn the backlighting all the way down, view it outside at noon on a clear day and see how much reflective mode has been designed in. If it's highly reflective, it will be very easy to read. The negative is that these will require more backlight power to be seen at dusk which is the worst case for backlighting. Phone guys don't like this much as it eats battery power fast.

Onetrack97 screwed with this post 02-26-2015 at 07:11 AM