Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2015, 12:59 AM   #1
lasvegasrider OP
Scotty, I need more power

Oddometer: 2,132
old school 276c and img conversions

Dead man askin...

what is the current img utility in use to allow img files into the map-source antiquities?

AS a resurrected from the dead rider, I will ride my final years in my version of the good years. MY '02 GS - a+ 1150 is getting the overload workup.

The obsolete 276c is acquiring the 2GB chip from Russia.

IMG conversion////

Thx Mike
Old 06-19-2015, 05:02 AM   #2
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Map Overlay Thread

Here is Doc Rock's thread on map overlays, it also has posts that link to my posts on creating them along with another inmates.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1065315

I've built ALOT of map overlays and use them in Mapsource.

They work great in the 276c, but keep in mind you are limited to 900 map segments, Still have to compile all your maps at once to load into the 276c.

PM me for some overlays you might find useful.

Also, if you haven't replaced the internal battery on that older 276c, you might want to.
Big Dog did a thread on it, but I couldn't find it.
Here is anther thread on it - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364208
Don't use a Varna battery again, it's older technology. I've been using the Sanyo, it has 10x the charging cycles.

NorthernTraveler screwed with this post 06-19-2015 at 05:20 AM
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
lasvegasrider OP

AOK on map conversion and why the hell am I not bailing on it?

The 2gb chip mod module for my memory housing is on the way from garminych from Russia.

as to the PMs - why bother doing this?

My West Marine enhanced Garmin 276c passed all diag work, its British female voice still waxes me on the ride, so the $160 for the memory chip upgrade is AOK. Owned since new, treated with love and armored to the hilt.

Those that know - old Garmin datum shows what new datum is filtered of. - Same for Magellan and other commercial entities.

I use the blended datum of several databases to create a true picture of the real map of off road options - unauthorized closings or not... SO many roads are closed that are not to be ( public safety w/o auth by seniors in gov - forestry - blm) - those of you on the mountains know of this.

So, my new smartphone apps, tablets, Gps units from Tom Tom, Garmin, yada, all filter to government pressure - and the old data is incompatible with new devices on so many levels, including route retracing..

SO, that is why the 2gb chip in the grandpa 276c deal is done.
Our high end Nuvi for asphalt works best in metro and freeway/hiway areas, - lane ID, speed cams, NOAA, DOT, blah blah..

the 276c for rural, off road, and using unfiltered data from old school mapping data - it simply is golden while riding on the dirt.

Our boosted wifi/4g-LTE systems are not of point in this post.

Mike
Old 06-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
lasvegasrider OP

Yes, and yet///

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
Here is Doc Rock's thread on map overlays, it also has posts that link to my posts on creating them along with another inmates.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1065315

I've built ALOT of map overlays and use them in Mapsource.

They work great in the 276c, but keep in mind you are limited to 900 map segments, Still have to compile all your maps at once to load into the 276c.

PM me for some overlays you might find useful.

Also, if you haven't replaced the internal battery on that older 276c, you might want to.
Big Dog did a thread on it, but I couldn't find it.
Here is anther thread on it - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364208
Don't use a Varna battery again, it's older technology. I've been using the Sanyo, it has 10x the charging cycles.

Interesting - 900 map segments is well known limit... but the battery and creative overlays was not to me as it did not occur to me to check - thanks so much for the perimeter info!

Mike