User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,884
BaseCamp: Convert Via Points to Shaping Points?

Does anyone know if there is a way in the Windows version of BaseCamp to convert a Via Point that is in a route, to a Shaping Point? Didn't see anything in the BaseCamp Wiki.

One can open the route details window that gives a list of each item in the route. One can right-click a Via Point and select "do not alert on arrival - shaping point" and although it will now not alert, the point it still labeled as a Via Point and considered to be a Via Point by a receiving GPS unit.

Is there way within the BaseCamp GUI to make the change for real? Some GPS units have an upper limit to the number of Via Points, so it would be a good thing to be able to convert the point type in an easy way, rather than have to export to GPX and then use a text editor to change labels by hand.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way in the Windows version of BaseCamp to convert a Via Point that is in a route, to a Shaping Point? Didn't see anything in the BaseCamp Wiki.

One can open the route details window that gives a list of each item in the route. One can right-click a Via Point and select "do not alert on arrival - shaping point" and although it will now not alert, the point it still labeled as a Via Point and considered to be a Via Point by a receiving GPS unit.

Is there way within the BaseCamp GUI to make the change for real? Some GPS units have an upper limit to the number of Via Points, so it would be a good thing to be able to convert the point type in an easy way, rather than have to export to GPX and then use a text editor to change labels by hand.
What GPS are you sending the Route (w/shaping points) to?

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Nav V.

Shaping points are not a problem. I converted a track to a route and it makes the points into Via Points as far as I can tell, and there seems to be no way to turn them into shaping points.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Nav V.

Shaping points are not a problem. I converted a track to a route and it makes the points into Via Points as far as I can tell, and there seems to be no way to turn them into shaping points.
So few units use shaping points I haven't seen any post re: this issue on the Garmin Win-BC forum. You might want to post there.

Know anyone with Mac-BC? Might give it a try if you do.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #5
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

That's a good idea, Dan. I will ask over there.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Well, this is really weird. I just did a test. I pushed the route to the Nav again, and it came out as a single route!

Since my initial post about this, I have exited BaseCamp and re-entered it. Is it possible that the Via Points did not actually change to Shaping Points until the application closed?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,393
So how are you liking the Nav V? I figure I'll give it a little bit before I pull the trigger on one.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #8
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
So how are you liking the Nav V? I figure I'll give it a little bit before I pull the trigger on one.
I like it, but it is kind of too soon to tell because here in New England riding season is winding down, so I haven't done much more with it than use it as a rolling map. Have only followed one route with it so far, and except for my kerfuffle with via points outlined above, that went fine.

I like the 5" screen a lot; bigger is definitely better for my aging eyes. The real "win" for me is the interaction with the "wonder wheel" next to the left handlebar switch cluster on the new GS. I can zoom in and out (and several other things, although no panning) without taking my hands off the bars. When zooming is so low effort, I find that I do it a lot more than when I have to reach up/over to a GPS unit and carefully touch the screen.

One consideration is that it has no external speaker or audio out jack. One must either use bluetooth, or take audio from the smaller plug coming off the BMW "GPS Prep" mount, although if one does the latter (as I did) the only audio that it delivers is the turn by turn stuff. AFAIK any media file playing can only be output via bluetooth. This is not an issue for me because I take music from an iPod and don't need my GPS to do that.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:35 AM   #9
the_doc
Street Convert

Oddometer: 168
This thread is a couple months old, but I have the same question as the OP. Basically I create a route in BC and add in a few shaping points using the INSERT tool after I create a simple A to B route. Then once I have a the few shaping points I need to get the route to look like I want, I open and change the inserted points to "Do not alert". All is well, however, when I am out on the bike and I am traveling down the route, I get a orange checkered flag showing me that I am approaching the shaping point I inserted... (assuming that is the "via point" alert")

Is there a way to stop it from showing the via? I'm using a Montana
Old 06-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
the_doc
Street Convert

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_doc View Post
This thread is a couple months old, but I have the same question as the OP. Basically I create a route in BC and add in a few shaping points using the INSERT tool after I create a simple A to B route. Then once I have a the few shaping points I need to get the route to look like I want, I open and change the inserted points to "Do not alert". All is well, however, when I am out on the bike and I am traveling down the route, I get a orange checkered flag showing me that I am approaching the shaping point I inserted... (assuming that is the "via point" alert")

Is there a way to stop it from showing the via? I'm using a Montana
More or less looking for somone to confirm or debunk that shaping points don't work with the Montana. I've had mixed answers searching the web or this forum. Some say they might work, some say they are unsupported and will always end up being via points along the route using this method.

Known work around?
Old 06-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

The Montana does not support Shaping Points in a Route. It does support Via Points (50) in a Route. If you create a route in BaseCamp with Shaping Points those will be changed to Via Points on the Montana. If you have more than 50 the Route will be truncated at the 50th Point. If you don't want the Via Points flagged and announced you will have to use a third party application like WINGDB3.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
JimCaliGuy
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I'm liking mine for what it's worth. Created my first Route using BaseCamp (by creating then re-arranging waypoints) and it brought me there. I find the GPS V not intuitive; for instance Routes are now under Apps???. Love the 5" display and free map updates.
JimCaliGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #13
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Yeah, almost every time I go to open the Trip Planner or Tracks App, I press the WhereTo? button first. I've asked Garmin/BMW to move those Apps to WhereTo? or at minimum provide a Shortcut so we can decide if we want them there.

Dan
All Things GPS