ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 125 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #1756
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudelum48
I just contacted REI and they said that there units have been updated with no defects. Can anyone else verify this?
As far as I know no new/corrected SPoT II units have shipped yet. So whoever you spoke to at REI is either ignorant or worse...

Unless of course they only have SPoT I to sell, in which case it's safe to buy one.

I'm sure if the updated units were shipping SPoT would say that on the FindMeSpot site.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #1757
LongCliff
Bagger

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic
This sucks. I was so excited about getting my Spot for Xmas and then I couldn't activate it because of the recall.

I filled out the recall stuff on the 6th and haven't received my packaging yet.

I really need a new unit for March. I want to go on a spring break adventure and being a solo female newbie rider, the Spot would give me (and my poor mother) a nice sense of security.

I'm so peeved about this.
You and I are in the same boat. I filled out the recall stuff about the same time as you.

I did just get an email from spot saying the return packaging should arrive soon, but haven't seen it yet.

Very frustrating! I better get it back before it warms up outside.
LongCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #1758
Tudelum48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Spot 2

It was an online chat with REI. And when I asked if the units were the updates ones because of the recall issues. The line went (please wait) like she was checking? Came back online after about 2 minutes and said they were OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
As far as I know no new/corrected SPoT II units have shipped yet. So whoever you spoke to at REI is either ignorant or worse...

Unless of course they only have SPoT I to sell, in which case it's safe to buy one.

I'm sure if the updated units were shipping SPoT would say that on the FindMeSpot site.
Tudelum48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #1759
boatworker
Slow Old Guy

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
It was an online chat with REI. And when I asked if the units were the updates ones because of the recall issues. The line went (please wait) like she was checking? Came back online after about 2 minutes and said they were OK.
The only way to know for sure is to buy one and try to activate it.
boatworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #1760
NoDirt4Me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongCliff

I did just get an email from spot saying the return packaging should arrive soon, but haven't seen it yet.

To add to the irony, I got the email a week after I got the return packaging...
NoDirt4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #1761
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
That's really odd. As of this morning and tonight both colors of the spot 2 are showing out of stock. Another thing, if there are "fixed" ones at REI being sold and it takes more than two weeks for me to get the replacement I'm really gonna be pissed.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #1762
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
did you folks see where spot joined up with delorme to have a plb and gps together?
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #1763
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry
did you folks see where spot joined up with delorme to have a plb and gps together?
they are still 2 separate units...going to connect through wireless something

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=pn-60
http://gpstracklog.com/2010/01/delor...with-spot.html
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #1764
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

yes but they are going to work together
Beta Techno
Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #1765
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
I remember reading an article about it and not being overly impressed. If I have a GPS and a spot next to each other on my bike (like I do)... what to I care if they connect? The spot still does what the spot does, the GPS does what the GPS does. Now once you combine both of them into one functioning device I'll begin to be impressed.

Ok sure, I think I remember that the unit would have the ability to show other people around you your location on their GPS (like a Garmin Rhino only better), but then everyone has to have the same type of GPS (and a spot) and I rarely am in a group of friends that all have the same make and model of GPS device. I say this is too half assed. Actually combine them into one.
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #1766
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

not being an expert or anything but the way i understand it it would be like a sat. phone only just txt. msg. so you could tell the wife your ok let her know where you were and tell her your enjoying your beer alone in the mtns!
Beta Techno
Old 01-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #1767
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry
not being an expert or anything but the way i understand it it would be like a sat. phone only just txt. msg. so you could tell the wife your ok let her know where you were and tell her your enjoying your beer alone in the mtns!
Yeah from what I've read you can send custom messages instead of just the pre-written ones that SPOT 1 and 2 owners send. It cannot receive messages. I'm just fine with the SPOT 2 features.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #1768
flyingz06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
they sent my paper package what a joke. put a piece of electronic equipment in a envelope and trust the mail man. Plus it says on the paperwork you may GET A REFURBISHED UNIT back.

i just returned my to best buy.
2008 Yamaha WR250
flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #1769
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingz06
they sent my paper package what a joke. put a piece of electronic equipment in a envelope and trust the mail man. Plus it says on the paperwork you may GET A REFURBISHED UNIT back.

i just returned my to best buy.

So is there any way to cancel service and get a refund of the unused portion? This is just ridiculous! They still can't tell me when replacements will be shipped.

" Replacement units will be shipped out on a first come first serve basis. New hardware to be available early of 2010."
Old 01-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #1770
boatworker
Slow Old Guy

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhicks
So is there any way to cancel service and get a refund of the unused portion? This is just ridiculous! They still can't tell me when replacements will be shipped.

" Replacement units will be shipped out on a first come first serve basis. New hardware to be available early of 2010."
They are not real good about refunds either. I returned my Spot I and bought a Spot II in early December, before all this recall mess started so was able to register it and get service. They said that there was no way to roll my remaining 10 months on the first Spot over to the new one as it was different technology or some BS. So, they billed me again and said they would refund the $120 left on the first subscription to my card. After repeated phone calls I still haven't got the money.

I have that silly envelope sitting here but am waiting for a while to see what happens before sending it back. I am pitting for my son in a day long rock crawling/desert race next month and we are going to strap it to the car so the folks back home can follow along.
boatworker is offline   Reply With Quote