ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #1831
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic
I got my SPOT back today! Perfect timing as I have a big weekend planned.

It's in new or like new condition. I activated it (mine was brand new, never used and instantly recalled when I tried to activate) seems to be working perfectly!

I hope you all get yours soon!
Did you get a personalized email also or did it just show up? Did they use the postal service or another carrier?
Old 02-26-2010, 05:41 AM   #1832
tarzan77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becktastic
I got my SPOT back today! Perfect timing as I have a big weekend planned.

It's in new or like new condition. I activated it (mine was brand new, never used and instantly recalled when I tried to activate) seems to be working perfectly!

I hope you all get yours soon!
I got mine yesterday too. Mine also looks like it's new and if it's a refurb, definitely can't tell. I'm happy, now just gotta get rid of this snow!!
tarzan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:17 AM   #1833
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,118
I received an email that it shipped on the 21st.
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #1834
Iced Tea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
On our shared pages do we have to push the Ok button to add a waypoint on our maps or does it do it automatically. My spot 1 showes no waypoints unless I push OK, I thought the spot communicated with the satellites every 10 minutes, IDK.
Iced Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #1835
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Tea
On our shared pages do we have to push the Ok button to add a waypoint on our maps or does it do it automatically. My spot 1 showes no waypoints unless I push OK, I thought the spot communicated with the satellites every 10 minutes, IDK.
This might be a stupid question but do you have track mode enabled? Here is instructions from the SPOT 1 manual. Spot 2 has a specific button for this. Spot 1 has it shared with the OK button.

track proGress – spotcastingsm
Use this feature to send your location to your SPOT account every 10 minutes so your SPOTteam can follow your progress in real time, or to save waypoints so you can view your full route at a later date. (NOTE: Additional fees may apply for this service. See account information at www.findmespot.com to learn more.)
to activate:
Press and hold the OK√ button for more than 5 seconds. The green indicator will begin blinking every 3 seconds, and the SPOTteam members you have given access to your online account can view your progress. Your exact location is updated every 10 minutes for 24 hours. To continue tracking after 24 hours, you must activate the unit again. Once activated, the OK√ indicator light will blink green every 3 seconds, and turn solid green for 5 seconds when a SPOTcasting message is being sent. SPOTcheck must be inactive for SPOTcasting to be activated.
to cancel:
Turn unit off by pressing and holding the ON/OFF button for 3 seconds, or press and hold the OK√ button for 5 seconds to terminate SPOTcasting. SPOTcasting is automatically disabled when you activate either 9-1-1 or HELP.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #1836
Iced Tea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
This might be a stupid question but do you have track mode enabled
No not a stupid question, thats why I asked, I knew I was doing something wrong. I got your reply, made some corrections and the spot worked great all day. Thanks for the help.

Leaving for Mexico City next week!!!
Iced Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #1837
BootDragger
Rehibilitation Rebel

Oddometer: 544
New Units

I've been waiting to purchase a Spot II. Does anyone know if there are still bad units being sold in stores? or did they recall them?

"I like you. People say I’ve got no taste, but I like you!."
BootDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #1838
LongCliff
Bagger

Oddometer: 518
Got my return package from spot yesterday...

Package open - No spot inside - All inside a plastic bag from the USPS with a nice note about how sorry they are that they damaged my package.

Called up spot and they said they will send me another. Hope it doesn't take too long.
LongCliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #1839
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,207
Somebody "borrowed" it?

Sounds fishy. I wonder if Spot has a record of the ID of the "missing" unit? And then if someone tries to activate an account for it. All the attention Spot has been getting would have made the contents of that package quite obvious.
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #1840
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongCliff
Got my return package from spot yesterday...

Package open - No spot inside - All inside a plastic bag from the USPS with a nice note about how sorry they are that they damaged my package.

Called up spot and they said they will send me another. Hope it doesn't take too long.
They sent the replacements back in the same crappy packaging we were supposed to send ours to them.
I simply returned my unopened unit to REI yesterday. I'll just get a new one when the dust settles.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #1841
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,300
My replacement SPOT V2 came today 4 days after receiving an email notice that they were sending it. I changed the serial # on my Jason Jomas STM website, installed the original batteries and powered it up. Went outside and sent a test okay message and it posted to SPOT, STM, and sent messages to 2 cellphones and an email account I have set up.

Now it's time to do some serious testing.

Tim
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #1842
strom thingie
Lost and Proud!

Oddometer: 432
Okay, I have a little bitch here. Mind you, I love my SPOT and have had no issues with it's use. I recommend it to everybody. Here's my bitch:

I wanted to renew my SPOT subscription because I had one last trip to make prior to deployment. I asked if there was a military hiatus plan or something along those lines. I was told, "SPOT works in Iraq so you can use it there as well". That was pretty funny. I am now of the rank where the young and the brave get to do all the cool stuff so I sit behind 4 computer screens winning the war and have no real need to carry a SPOT with me. Plus, us Army guys have much better tracking systems and such if a Fobbit like me should ever have to leave the base. I was also wondering if I pushed the 911 button, who would come? I got Apaches on a string and would much rather use them .

I was told that I didn't cancel my auto renewal(?) so I was beholden to another year of payment. My bank card had changed due to theft and so the auto-pay function didn't work. So I owe for a years subscription as well even though I guarantee that I won't be using the damn thing. lol.

What's a boy to do?
strom thingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:52 AM   #1843
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator
I've been waiting to purchase a Spot II. Does anyone know if there are still bad units being sold in stores? or did they recall them?

Anyone? How can we tell if the units on the shelf are pre or post recall?
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #1844
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
Here is a snip from an email SPOT sent me on 2/17. It says if your ESN is equal to or less than 0-8053925 then return the unit for replacement. My SPOT 2 had the ESN listed on a sticker at the bottom of the package. So, if the numbers are correct just write down the range and compare it to what is on the box. If you are doing an internet order then you will have to trust that the company has already taken down the "bad" units and replaced them with newer ones.
Most every place I have seen online has been out of stock of these units for months. Chances are when they do come back in stock that it will be the new units and not old, recalled, units.

cheers,
Robert

[begin snip]
As you know, in December we discovered that the SPOT 2 unit failed to meet battery and messaging operating specifications. At that time we issued a “voluntary” product recall. Okay, in this instance “voluntary” meant that SPOT was choosing to recall the product because we weren’t happy with it. We understand that this may have caused some confusion. Let’s be clear now - we continue to urge you to return your SPOT 2 unit with an ESN number equal to or less than 0-8053925 to be returned for replacement. Please visit www.findmespot.com/exchange for more info.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #1845
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,300
My replacement SPOT V2 has a serial # slightly greater than the 0-8053925 given to send back one's unit. I'm presuming mine's new. It certainly looks like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote