ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #1876
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
Yeah right.

Well, I have a friend who took my SPOT on a 3 week trip all the way to James Bay and it worked every time he pressed the button. So what does that prove - Oh, it proves that SPOT is 100% reliable 100% of the time.

No - neither reference proves anything totally.

Your crap got booted because of your irrational rants on why everyone should buy a PLB in the middle of a SPOT thread.

Keep it civil, and stay on topic, and you are free to post. Start more of the crap that you did two years ago and the result will be the same.
I'll try to think rationally.

It seems like some units work perfectly, and some don't, and it's impossible to know when yours is going to work, or stop working.

When I'm on the sea, I keep all my electronics in a waterproof container- even the "waterproof" gps and the "waterproof" PLB. If I was on a sea-kayak trip with SPOT as my primary locator, I'd keep it in a waterproof container. Not a "water resistant" container.

I've seen them advertised in boating magazines. A few boat shops in Panama sell them. I think some of the advertising is mis-leading, because even under the best conditions, a spot unit is barely waterproof. Being submerged in a few feet of water only means that it can be submerged in a few feet of water. A decent wave, a sudden drop, or even some spray can have significantly more force and pressure than the pressure of one meter of water. Which means that, for practical use, it's not waterproof.

And neither is my 60csx, or my PLB- although both are built to more robust standards.

The bottom line is, they're not waterproof.

How's that for rational? Do I get to stay?
Old 03-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #1877
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,550
Next time I ride my motorcycle 6 feet under water I'll keep in mind some guy on the internet said the Spot might not hold back the water. On the other hand, myself and MANY others have used their Spot without problems in the rain at high speed.

Also, I constantly read reports from people who apparently have not read the manual and use their Spot incorrectly, then complain that it's not working as expected. When someone asks what type of batteries they can use, or expect tracking to work perfectly when it's in their pocket or backpack, then they probably have not read the manual. And if they expect it to work perfectly in a tank bag, or they expect OK messages to go out in 10 minutes, they are not reading the manual.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #1878
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild
Next time I ride my motorcycle 6 feet under water I'll keep in mind some guy on the internet said the Spot might not hold back the water. On the other hand, myself and MANY others have used their Spot without problems in the rain at high speed.

Also, I constantly read reports from people who apparently have not read the manual and use their Spot incorrectly, then complain that it's not working as expected. When someone asks what type of batteries they can use, or expect tracking to work perfectly when it's in their pocket or backpack, then they probably have not read the manual. And if they expect it to work perfectly in a tank bag, or they expect OK messages to go out in 10 minutes, they are not reading the manual.
Did you click on the link and read about the sea kayaker's experience?
Old 03-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #1879
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
DING, DING, DING, DING, DING!! SURVEY SAYS! NUMBER ONE ANSWER!
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #1880
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
Did you click on the link and read about the sea kayaker's experience?
We're motorcyclists here, not kayakers, so I'm trying to stick with stuff that motorcyclists do. I don't go under water with my Spot like the kayaker said he did. And just like so many of the others who complain about problems, the kayaker DIDN"T FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE MANUAL.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #1881
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
We're motorcyclists here, not kayakers, so I'm trying to stick with stuff that motorcyclists do. I don't go under water with my Spot like the kayaker said he did. And just like so many of the others who complain about problems, the kayaker DIDN"T FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE MANUAL.
Thanks for reading the link about the kayaker.

The way I read it, it seemed like the kayaker thought he was following the instructions.

Obviously the kayaker was using his in the sea, and not on a motorcycle. Obviously, this is a motorcycle forum, not a kayaker forum. Obviously, many of us aren't motorcycle-exclusive. And I know that I bought mine with the intention of using it not just on my motorcycle, but also in a canoe, in a truck, in a boat, in a small airplane, skiing, etc., just like how it's marketed.

Spot II is going to be more user-friendly than Spot, but obviously there are quality control issues. To me- well, I'm just not surprised. Spot is a great idea, poorly executed.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #1882
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,390
I have not activated mine yet .. however when i do

I will use a waterproof bag in case i duplicate this! WITH NO KAYAK attached!

geeks vid from jjustj on Vimeo.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #1883
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,069
The Update Program from Spot I to II is Now On

Just got this in the mailbox today:

For a limited time, current SPOT Personal Tracker (SPOT 1) customers can get the SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger (SPOT 2) at a reduced price. You can upgrade and swap your current SPOT device with the new one, OR you can add the new SPOT unit to your account and have multiple SPOT devices in service. There are a number of options for you to choose from. Check out the links below and see which is best for you. No matter what you select, you save on a new SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger.

Here's a link to the site: http://www.findmespot.ca/upgrade/

My Spot I is working well so I don't see any reason to upgrade but others might feel differently...
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #1884
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,460
Not much of an incentive to upgrade to me.
I'm waiting until my Birthday in August to buy a "NEW" spot2. By then the existing batch of refurbs being sold as new will be off the shelves.
My 2009 Christmas gift for my 2010 Birthday. Works for me.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #1885
TavisB
@TavisB

Oddometer: 380
Yeah, I was a little disappointed by that offer. No biggie, I'm very happy with the performance of my SPOT 1, I'm sure it will last me until I spring for the SPOT 3 :).
TavisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #1886
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Yeah, 30-50% off is not really a good deal at all!

dacrazyrn screwed with this post 03-17-2010 at 02:34 PM
Old 03-18-2010, 02:37 AM   #1887
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,236
Will my SPOT work in Germany?

I just moved here from CA a couple months ago (as some may remember) and when I tried to update my billing address, it didn't have Germany? But it did have Germany as a location? Ummmmmmm....

I've got an Email into them and I'm sure it will be fine, but I'm just being impatient...
Old 03-18-2010, 02:46 AM   #1888
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,774
Yeah - I received the second email blast from them today.

Since my SPOT sits in my tank bag until needed, I don't feel any need to upgrade to a SPOT 2.

I'll skip a generation, or maybe 2, thank you very much.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #1889
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Thumb Share your SPOT and/or Adventure page

Haven't seen one up yet, but fun to see where others are going/been. Show us your SPOT page!!

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...fVLNMW3AUtfltO

http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=43078
Old 03-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #1890
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,390
how about?

http://www.jasonjonas.org/spot/about.jsp#services

??

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote