ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #1891
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
I've always wanted the SPOT 2. It does what the spot 1 does without having to turn the unit off/on to change between tracking and I'm OK msgs. They are bothe available at the the same time. Much smaller too.
More functions was the key.
I'll just be patient until new ones come out of the factory.
It probably won't change your opinion, but you can go from tracking to OK without powering off. While its tracking, you just hold in the OK button for about 5 secs and then you'll see a few red light blinks from the OK light as it turns off the tracking. (Takes about 10 secs). Once its back to just the power light, you are free to send an OK message that will go through just fine. I've tested this many times.

Now, once its in the OK sequence, you can either let it run through its entire OK sequence of sending 3 OK messages over 20mins before you can actually turn tracking on or once you know its sent an OK Message that went through (like you get it on your phone too), then you have to power it off to stop the OK sequence.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #1892
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
... you just hold in the OK button for about 5 secs and then you'll see a few red light blinks from the OK light as it turns off the tracking. (Takes about 10 secs). Once its back to just the power light, you are free to send an OK message that will go through just fine. I've tested this many times...-you can either let it run through its entire OK sequence of sending 3 OK messages over 20mins before you can actually turn tracking on or once you know its sent an OK Message that went through (like you get it on your phone too), then you have to power it off to stop the OK sequence.
This is true. But, I have always just held the OK button down during Tracking till it turns solid red, release, then it starts the OK sequence, then back to the single (left) flashing green light...then I can start the Tracking up again.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #1893
mytrook
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Has anybody put the new "post recall" Spot 2 through the paces yet and is it really fixed? I want to get one but want to see what the jury thinks before I step up.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #1894
Mr Baggins
Stinky Feet

Oddometer: 1,035
This may be old news.
Delorme gps and Spot is coming out with a new combo unit.

If a thread is already floating around please give me a link.
Adventure is a path. Real adventure - self-determined, self-motivated, often risky - forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind - and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” -
Mr Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 AM   #1895
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrook
Has anybody put the new "post recall" Spot 2 through the paces yet and is it really fixed? I want to get one but want to see what the jury thinks before I step up.
I don't think I ever saw a post from somebody that even noticed the problem that was fixed. It had to do with the battery sensor going into alarm early. Meaning you still had battery time left when you were changing batteries. Unless somebody is taking their unit all the way to the floor, not sure you'll ever notice.
My2Wheels
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #1896
mytrook
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't think I ever saw a post from somebody that even noticed the problem that was fixed. It had to do with the battery sensor going into alarm early. Meaning you still had battery time left when you were changing batteries. Unless somebody is taking their unit all the way to the floor, not sure you'll ever notice.
Ah ok, thanks for the info. I was thinking the problem was bigger than that. Might go pick one up today and start testing it out.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #1897
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Ah ok, thanks for the info. I was thinking the problem was bigger than that. Might go pick one up today and start testing it out.
I'm waiting for the next production run. If you read back a few pages you'll notice about the popped open and resealed cases. Might not be an issue. I just have a thing about buying a refurb for NEW price. I think they should discount the existing production run and then sell the next run at full price.
My2Wheels
Old 03-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #1898
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,646
Refurb

Got my Spot 2 yesterday and it looks pristine.

Quote:
I'm waiting for the next production run. If you read back a few pages you'll notice about the popped open and resealed cases. Might not be an issue. I just have a thing about buying a refurb for NEW price. I think they should discount the existing production run and then sell the next run at full price.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #1899
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Got my Spot 2 yesterday and it looks pristine.
Nice! Maybe I don't have to wait as long as expected for my SPOT2.
My2Wheels
Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #1900
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
I took mine down to Mexico this weekend and it worked great.

SPOT share page
Old 03-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #1901
mytrook
Gnarly Adventurer

Just picked up a Spot 2 at Cabelas. Got the highest SN out of the 4 they had and made sure it was above the recalled SN lot. Opened up all the boxes and checked them all just to see and they all look fine, no big gaps as reported on the recalled/repaired units.
Sent a couple of "ok" messages to test it. Will try tracking this weekend.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #1902
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Thumb

Rode 30 miles away to pick up a new SPOT 2. Used the SPOT 1 on the way over. Had both of them inside the left chest pocket of a 1.5mm leather jacket facing forward in pocket). Missed only two uploads because I was inside a business.
SPOT 2 on the way back, same pocket. Didn't miss a tick. Didn't go inside anywhere though. On hilly Front Range countryside.
So I would say works quite well. Hope to get it up into the mountains and through some canyons.

PS:-SPOT supplied a nice little "case" for the SPOT 2 with a small velcro point on the back, a connection point with (small) carabiner, and a nice strap that goes through the case and perfect size to go on the right upper arm (be facing straight up when riding). NICE!!
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle

dacrazyrn screwed with this post 03-31-2010 at 03:58 PM
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #1903
mytrook
Gnarly Adventurer

Took the Spot 2 on a road trip from Northern Idaho to Colorado Springs and back to test it out. It did really well, picked up the signal even in canyons. Don't know how long the batteries are supposed to last but I had it in tracking mode for the 16+ hours down and back plus a couple "ok" messages.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #1904
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Baggins
This may be old news.
Delorme gps and Spot is coming out with a new combo unit.

If a thread is already floating around please give me a link.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=pn60

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:41 PM   #1905
jjustj
JUSTAGUYTRYING2STAYDRY

Oddometer: 5,151
Used my new yet (refurbished) this weekend

for 3 days, being a noob with it found it very reliable, and the tracking feature is so great!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote