ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #1936
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
"It's just a bad unit."

Big deal; stuff happens.

Most work fine. Mine does.

Until something better comes along for a reasonable price, I'm satisfied.
do you know of any other product that has such a high failure rate? Of all the things in my house, garage, etc., nothing works as poorly as this.

Imagine if, I don't know... how about brake lights? What if brake lights failed at this rate?
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #1937
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,378
Are YOU on some personal mission against SPOT? Or are you just generally angry at the world?

I've seen the SPOT help in numerous occasions, friends that have gone down. I'll be getting the SPOT2 when I'm sure the refurbs are cleared out.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #1938
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Spotty service

Light bulb went out in my house today. They always seem to fail. Anyone have any experience with oil lanterns?
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #1939
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Light bulb went out in my house today. They always seem to fail. Anyone have any experience with oil lanterns?
I was baking a potato in my oven the other day and it exploded. Wonder if I can interest the Safety Council? Could be an epidemic.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #1940
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
Are YOU on some personal mission against SPOT? Or are you just generally angry at the world?

I've seen the SPOT help in numerous occasions, friends that have gone down. I'll be getting the SPOT2 when I'm sure the refurbs are cleared out.
I'm happy for you if your spot works. I'm not happy that Diablo Blanco's didn't work. No, I'm not on a mission about spot, and I'm not going to engage you in an argument. But your attitude about shooting the messenger doesn't change the message.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #1941
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
I'm happy for you if your spot works. I'm not happy that Diablo Blanco's didn't work. No, I'm not on a mission about spot, and I'm not going to engage you in an argument. But your attitude about shooting the messenger doesn't change the message.
My attitude is just fine. I was just noting that the posts by you seem to be very highly agressive at being anti-SPOT. I have made no attack on you or anybody else. Just pointing out what I see and asking what your beef is with them. A messenger delivers a message without additon of personal bias. That is what changes the message.
"Just the Facts Ma'am."
Cheers.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #1942
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
I was baking a potato in my oven the other day and it exploded.

Your oven exploded?

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #1943
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
My attitude is just fine. I was just noting that the posts by you seem to be very highly agressive at being anti-SPOT. I have made no attack on you or anybody else. Just pointing out what I see and asking what your beef is with them. A messenger delivers a message without additon of personal bias. That is what changes the message.
"Just the Facts Ma'am."
Cheers.
You meant to say aggressive and addition, right?

My spot failed on the edge of the Darien Jungle, and in the middle of the Atacama Desert. How would you feel if your bike was full of water after being drowned in a river; you activated your spot, and later- after you'd done a self-extraction- found out that your spot messages hadn't gotten out? The Atacama Desert is the driest desert in the world. It's huge- longer than the United States. It's hostile. It's a pressure cooker. In the middle of it, I tried to activate my spot, and couldn't.

It's very simple: my spot worked, and then it didn't, and then it did again; and there is no good explanation for why it failed when it did. I'm used to mechanical things that either work, or don't work; mechanical things that are predictable. My spot's performance was not predictable.

But this is old news, and I only bring it up when someone who I've previously communicated with has a similar experience, like Diablo Blanco, who, on Sunday, is probably going to have to let me buy him a beer.

On another note, I've been slowly making a new opinion of the wisdom of sending sane, healthy rescuers into dangerous scenes just to rescue casual adventure riders/snowmobilers/hikers/mountain bikers/etc., who have gotten themselves into more trouble than they can handle. I'm starting to lean toward the "let them rot" philosophy. Right now I'm firmly in the "make them pay" camp.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #1944
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Spot-I wouldn’t stay on

Just thought I’d post what happened to my spot-I when I descended from 14,000 ft to sea level in about 4 hours. I was sitting at the border crossing between Peru and Chile when I tried to turn my spot on. I couldn’t get it to stay on as the button was “stuck” in the pushed in position. I’d pried the button up and if I held it, the unit would stay on, but as soon as I released the button, it would pop in and the unit would turn off. That night, while in the hotel room, I tried to turn my spot on again with the same result. Thinking there must be a problem with the button, I opened the unit up to inspect the inside. Everything looked ok so I reassembled the unit. I then tried to turn it on and it worked perfectly. The button would push in and when released, it would pop out allowing the unit to stay on. The only thing I can think happened was that the pressure change in dropping 14,000 feet caused a vacuum inside the unit that sucked the button in, emulating someone pressing the button.

Anyway, I didn’t have any other problems during my whole trip to South America. The Spot tracked me all the way from Washington State to Tierra del Fuego.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #1945
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Vaccum, maybe. How about the most likely, bit of dirt, sand, or junk? That happens with electronics and buttons all the time
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #1946
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,653
A friend of mine (a fellow ADV'r) got in big trouble in a remote section of Arkansas last week. His Spot 1 saved his bacon. His bike broke down, he exhausted himself trying to fix it and (taking a shortcut) of the area. He ended up spending the night in a remote hunting camp, near hypothermia, and with badly banged up knees.

The kicker is that his Spot had somehow gotten out of his tail bag and lost along the way. But the signal kept sending. When it didn't move for a long while and he was overdue home, his son set a rescue into motion and long story short, despite the unit being off the bike, they managed to find him and transport him to safety.

He was in trouble and the Spot saved his butt.

Having read all of this thread, I am saving to purchase one now. Good technology.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 04-24-2010 at 04:03 PM
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #1947
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie
...despite the unit being off the bike, they managed to find him and transport him to safety....
But did they recover the Spot?

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #1948
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
But did they recover the Spot?

Cheers.
No, the battery died a couple of days later. He was hurt and tired enough that he left his bike there for two days before retrieving it. They looked for it (the Spot) but didn't locate it.

We are organizing a rescue party for the Spot this coming Wednesday to see if we can locate it. The last known location was near where his bike went down in a creek. This effectively drowned his bike and prevented him from riding out. Were thinking it must be near or in that creek.

The responders followed the signal to the location but didn't find it or my friend but searched the area and found him. If you want to read his ride report you will find it HERE in the Arkansas Ride Reports.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 04-24-2010 at 05:00 PM
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #1949
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
A friend of mine (a fellow ADV'r) got in big trouble in a remote section of Arkansas last week. His Spot 1 saved his bacon. His bike broke down, he exhausted himself trying to fix it and (taking a shortcut) of the area. He ended up spending the night in a remote hunting camp, near hypothermia, and with badly banged up knees.

The kicker is that his Spot had somehow gotten out of his tail bag and lost along the way. But the signal kept sending. When it didn't move for a long while and he was overdue home, his son set a rescue into motion and long story short, despite the unit being off the bike, they managed to find him and transport him to safety.

He was in trouble and the Spot saved his butt.

Having read all of this thread, I am saving to purchase one now. Good technology.
Impressive. A possible tragic story turns out for the better. Thank goodness! Thanks for the RR link.
If I am ever on an adventure my Spot and ham radio gear go with me.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #1950
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
If this had been a PLB instead of a SPOT, he may never had been rescued. The fact that the SPOT can send the tracking signal all the time is one of the greatest values for a biker. If you crash and can't move enough to push the button on a PLB, you're SCREWED. Same with the SPOT, unless of course you had it in tracking mode. Then there is a breadcrumb trail right to where you are.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote