ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 72 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #1951
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,312
Dumb question: Is a Spot waterproof? Would it be suitable for a kayaking trip?
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #1952
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Dumb question: Is a Spot waterproof? Would it be suitable for a kayaking trip?
"Official" answer - yes.

Some people don't think so, but mine has gone through lots of driving rain and still works as well as ever.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #1953
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
"Official" answer - yes.

Some people don't think so, but mine has gone through lots of driving rain and still works as well as ever.

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #1954
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,321
just for grins...

i put mine in a ziplock bag

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #1955
DrunkOnUnleaded
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
"It's just a bad unit."

Big deal; stuff happens.

Most work fine. Mine does.

Until something better comes along for a reasonable price, I'm satisfied.
Granted, you can never have absolutely perfect quality control. However, from the use I have had with a SPOT and everything I have read, it seems that the failure rate is a bit high for being something you are supposed to trust your life with.

Just my $0.02
DrunkOnUnleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #1956
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,411
Very simple. Buy one, or don't. Your choice.
My SPOT - No tracks = not riding | Mapsource Tutorial | Husky TR650 Thread Index | Husky TR650 OEM and Interchangeable Parts List | Charter Member: T.O. Club | Voted - "Nicest Asshole you will ever meet" by my friends
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #1957
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,163
I have two problems with my spot
1) I pushed the check in button about three hours ago I have returned from my ride and still haven’t gotten anything yet
2) I looked at one of my old check in spots and it is about 1 ¼ miles off of where I pushed the button?

WTF? Anyone else have these problems?

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #1958
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly
I looked at one of my old check in spots and it is about 1 ¼ miles off of where I pushed the button?
Lots of people who don't read the instructions very well have all kinds of operator error problems just like that. Once you know how it works, you'll be just fine.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #1959
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild
Lots of people who don't read the instructions very well have all kinds of operator error problems just like that. Once you know how it works, you'll be just fine.
Ok it sends my wife an email she clicks on it and it sends her to the wrong place.
And you are telling me that I need to read the instructions?
Ok what did I miss???

Old 04-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #1960
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Ok what did I miss???
When you press a message button, it can take up to 20 minutes before it's sent. So, if you're moving, the point that is sent won't be at the location where you pressed the button.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #1961
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

But I the point that it sent was off about ¼ mile off of the road and I didn’t leave the road that day.
When I hit the button today it flashed the button then the gps button then the send button and it kept flashing the send button for about three hours, and never sent the message.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #1962
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,315
After 3ish hours of note-comparing, Diablo Blanco, a noob, and I- we were not able to discover why my spot is random. We'll post photos later.
bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:04 AM   #1963
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
But I the point that it sent was off about ¼ mile off of the road and I didn’t leave the road that day.
Here is the real reason it is off.
Less complicated explanation
Easy one
the government has sats set to give a 50 foot discrepancy about 95% of the time (more accurate usually). Turn on a GPS and have the tracking show on the map. You will see it wander around a bit, even though the GPS is stationary.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #1964
Klay
dreaming adventurer

I didn't realize they also have to correct for relativistic effects.

Quote:
Relativity

Satellite clocks are slowed by their orbital speed but sped up by their distance out of the Earth's gravitational well.

A number of sources of error exist due to relativistic effects[69] that would render the system useless if uncorrected. Three relativistic effects are the time dilation, gravitational frequency shift, and eccentricity effects. For example, the relativistic time slowing due to the speed of the satellite of about 1 part in 1010, the gravitational time dilation that makes a satellite run about 5 parts in 1010 faster than an Earth based clock, and the Sagnac effect due to rotation relative to receivers on Earth. These topics are examined below, one at a time.
[edit] Special and general relativity

According to the theory of relativity, due to their constant movement and height relative to the Earth-centered, non-rotating approximately inertial reference frame, the clocks on the satellites are affected by their speed. Special relativity predicts that the frequency of the atomic clocks moving at GPS orbital speeds will tick more slowly than stationary ground clocks by a factor of , or result in a delay of about 7 μs/day, where the orbital velocity is v = 4 km/s, and c = the speed of light. The time dilation effect has been measured and verified using the GPS system.
The effect of gravitational frequency shift on the GPS system due to general relativity is that a clock closer to a massive object will be slower than a clock farther away. Applied to the GPS system, the receivers are much closer to Earth than the satellites, causing the GPS clocks to be faster by a factor of 5×10^(-10), or about 45.9 μs/day. This gravitational frequency shift is also a noticeable effect.
When combining the time dilation and gravitational frequency shift, the discrepancy is about 38 microseconds per day; a difference of 4.465 parts in 1010.[70] Without correction, errors in position determination of roughly 10 km/day would accumulate. In addition, because GPS satellite orbits are not perfectly circular, their elliptical orbits cause the time dilation and gravitational frequency shift effects to vary with time. This eccentricity effect causes the clock rate difference between a GPS satellite and a receiver to increase or decrease depending on the velocity orbital altitude of the satellite.
To account for the discrepancy, the frequency standard on board each satellite is given a rate offset prior to launch, making it run slightly slower than the desired frequency on Earth; specifically, at 10.22999999543 MHz instead of 10.23 MHz.[71] Since the atomic clocks on board the GPS satellites are precisely tuned, it makes the system a practical engineering application of the scientific theory of relativity in a real-world environment.[72] Placing atomic clocks on artificial satellites to test Einstein's general theory was proposed by Friedwardt Winterberg in 1955.[73]
Old 04-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #1965
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

but but I want my wife to be able to find me if necessary, she barely knows how to text

I'm fucked