ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #2521
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,267
yep everything is extra...for this years subscriptions because of our up and coming trip...will cost us over $200 for almost all that they offer...better be safe then sorry....Alaska, Yukon and NWT here we come!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #2522
soph9
Bike Addict

Hey Dr. getting a little worried this SPOT may not show up.....usually does not take this long to Canada...I guess there is no way of you tracking it eh? USPS seems to loose the parcel after it may hit the border.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #2523
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Hey Dr. getting a little worried this SPOT may not show up.....usually does not take this long to Canada...I guess there is no way of you tracking it eh? USPS seems to loose the parcel after it may hit the border.
If you have a USPS tracking number: I have been able to continue tracking on the Canada Post site using that same number.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #2524
soph9
Bike Addict

Interesting did not know you can track USPS stuff on Canada Post. Will try when I get home from work. Thanks! How long have you been waiting for delivery? Me? Almost a month.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #2525
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,847
I just tried the tracking number on the Canada Post site and it came up empty. It sure is taking a long time...

Quote:
Interesting did not know you can track USPS stuff on Canada Post. Will try when I get home from work. Thanks! How long have you been waiting for delivery? Me? Almost a month.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #2526
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Good Friday is a statutory holiday in the Great White North. Post Office closed today and Easter Monday. Could be the problem re updates.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #2527
baja_brewer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
SPOT is base price, services are all extra $. From time to time there are discounts for service and tracking, but only seem to apply to new activation?
Hope this helps a bit.
Got it, so getting set up with a transponder and a subscription will run me about $250 I guess.... yow... I know better safe than sorry, but it makes me question if I'll actually need it.
baja_brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #2528
soph9
Bike Addict

think of it like insurance....
Old 04-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #2529
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
think of it like insurance....
You can also get a full-blown PLB for about the same cost. 250-300 and they have a 5 year lifespan. One big plus with the spot is medevac insurance for like $7.95 or something ridiculous like that.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #2530
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja_brewer View Post
Got it, so getting set up with a transponder and a subscription will run me about $250 I guess.... yow... I know better safe than sorry, but it makes me question if I'll actually need it.
You won't need it until that one day when you need it really badly. (Pray it works for you then)

Mine has always worked for me but I've only ever had to send OK messages.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #2531
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,434
Hey Baja B check this out.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=28
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #2532
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Baja B read this too though:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15751004&postcount=29
Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #2533
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,434
OOoops.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #2534
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,847
Any SPOT 2 units purchased for $149.99 or more from May 1 through July 31, 2011 are eligible for a $50 mail-in rebate from the manufacturer. Details here.

This means that they may refuse to send a rebate if you purchase a SPOT 2 for less than $149.99. (I've had to raise my price so you can be sure to get the discount.)
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #2535
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,400
After reading several posts along the lines of "my SPOT works for a while and then stops reporting my position" I wanted to pass on my SPOT II experience.

I bought one of the first production SPOT IIs and then received the recall notification that there was a battery problem: the unit either drains batteries very quickly or incorrectly reports batteries are drained. I never experienced any problem with my SPOT II, battery or otherwise. It always worked perfectly so I didn't return it. After having the unit for almost a year, SPOT sent me a letter saying if I didn't return it by date X, they would terminate my service. I returned the unit and about a week later, I received a replacement.

I would run the new one for 8-10 hours while riding and all the lights indicated the unit was always functioning normally. The problem was after about 3-4 hours it would stop sending position updates. I then tested it by leaving it on the dash of my car during work for a couple of days. Every day after about 3-4 hours it stopped updating my position but all the lights indicated normal operation.

I called SPOT and told them what the problem was. The bad news was they had no record of me getting a new unit through their mandatory recall program and said my unit (what they thought was still my original unit) was out of the warranty period. The good news is I had purchased their "insurance policy" so they sent me yet another one which cost me 30 USD. This third unit works perfectly.

If you're SPOT II looks like it's always working but your position stops updating, it's possible the unit is bad.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote