ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 114 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #2581
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
Sorry all, but I did a search and read a bunch of this thread, but don't have time to read every page.

Can someone give me a run down on the different features and pros/cons of using sites like SpotWalla or similar compared to the Spot provided page?

I just bought a Spot but haven't activated it yet. I plan to buy Tracking.

It says the OK message sends a link to Google Maps with your location. Can this send your Spotwalla link instead?

Thanks.

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #2582
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,982
Here's an example OK message sent from my SPOT (copied and pasted from my email--I blanked out the latitude and longitude numbers since that's my house). The part of the message that I've highlighted is the part that you can change. Anything you can fit in the space they give you is fair game, so if your SpotWalla URL is short, it can go there. Regardless, the recipients will still get the Google Maps link also.

Quote:
ADVCOOP 1
Latitude:##.#####
Longitude:-##.#####
GPS location Date/Time:03/29/2011 10:32:29 CDT

Message:This is the default SPOT Check-in/OK message. Please update.

Click the link below to see where I am located.
http://fms.ws/4UtbA/##.#####/\-##.#####

If the above link does not work, try this link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...UTF8&z=12&om=1

ADVCOOP 1

You have received this message because ADVCOOP 1 has added you to their SPOT contact list.

Every day is an Adventure. Share Yours.
http://www.findmespot.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanStreaker View Post
It says the OK message sends a link to Google Maps with your location. Can this send your Spotwalla link instead?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #2583
eldo500
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 35
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
Going on a 4 day solo trip next week so thought I'd better look into getting a Spot2. Did a little search and saw how Best Buy had them on sale for like $99 (no waiting for the rebate) and found one online at a local store. Off I go this AM and here's the shelf tag...

Humm...is this a Spot1 I think, nope sez Spot2. Seems too good to be true.

Looks like a good score for me! $37.09 OTD and to boot I had a $25 BB gift card I was wondering what I was going to do with. $12 bucks out of pocket.

This one came with the little accessory kit and a 15% service discount.

If you're in the market ya might want to act fast.
So I was ready to drop a hundred bucks on one for a five week solo trip I'm starting this Friday, and I figured that I might as well check with the good folks of ADVrider first. Well, I'm glad I did, because I was able to snag one at this price! Thanks so much for posting this! I owe you a beer or three if you're ever in San Diego!
1990 Yamaha FZR600
1974 Suzuki RV125
eldo500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #2584
TomDac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
got a Spot2 and have played with it a little. Seems to work pretty good.

I love the tracking feature and how it sends an update to my map every 10 minutes.. On a long trip, this would be ideal to update everyone, including a thread here on advrider.. Changing batteries would become a giant PITA, though. I wish there was a way to hardwire it into my bike.
TomDac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #2585
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,300
Our BIG trip

See how the tracking will work in real time if interested..we are heading out in 25 days for a 45 day northern adventure....we will be using the Connect and tracking feature. See my signature for the live ride report thread, blog info etc.....could be fun for you and others. Or at least for us!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #2586
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
SPOT Connect Update

Sorry that it's been a while, but I've been troubleshooting this thing ad nauseum.

The good news: I discovered (after much trial and error) why my typed (predefined) messages kept getting kicked off of the device. I was including apostrophes in the messages. I kid you not. If I typed I'm instead of I am, or it's instead of it is, the messages were moved to the "unavailable on this device" section. I reproduced this bug several times, and it didn't matter whether I typed the messages on the iPhone or on their web site. Hard to believe, I know. But true. I'd love to hear from Android users whether this bug exists on their devices. And any other iPhone users out there, please give it a try and see what happens.

This weekend I drove down to the Bay Area again in my car, and I was able to send messages and track myself without interruption or error. The bluetooth connection is still as funky and unpredictable as ever, but at least I could go to the iPhone's settings and restore bluetooth whenever I wanted to change anything. I am (barely) willing to live with that.

But that's where the good news ends.

If I mount the Connect on my handlebars over the triple clamp (where I used to mount my SPOT 1), the device turns itself off without any input from me. Turns off completely—dead to the world.

At first I thought it might be interference from my Garmin 276C GPS, but I eliminated that theory by turning the GPS off and removing it from my handlebars. My current suspicion is that the ring antenna on my F800GS that reads the chip in the ignition key is causing the problem, because if I clip the Connect onto the glove on the right (throttle) hand, the problem disappears.

I've ordered a new RAM mount that will allow me to mount the Connect in a more outboard position on the handlebars, so we'll see if that helps.

In the meantime, SPOT customer support is as useless and unresponsive as ever. Through my BMW dealer I was put in contact with a regional sales rep who lit a fire under the customer support people, and one of them finally called me. But since that conversation over a week ago, nothing, no acknowledgement of the apostrophe bug, no suggestions about the possible cause of the power-down problem, nada. Zilch.

I've been making my living on computers for the last 24 years, so I've had plenty of contact with customer support people. But I have never experienced anything close to the abysmally awful neglect that SPOT offers.

I'll continue to try on my own to get this thing to work. But those of you contemplating the purchase of one of these things, fair warning, you're own your own!

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #2587
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,515
I was wondering how your trip went and if you got everything worked out. I have taken a couple of short trips and the Connect seems to be working well. Except I had to change the batteries.

When I was checking I noticed that the blue light stays on all the time?? I turned off the connection at the phone and the light went off then when I reconnected it came back on but I get the "unable to connect" error message and have to unpair and reconnect. I know that the bluetooth is not supposed to draw much power, but if I have to manually connect then disconnect everytime I want to send a message or start/stop tracking it will mean lots of steps.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #2588
WoodWorks
House Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Except I had to change the batteries.
If you have a battery tester, check those batteries that you removed. My bet is that they're just fine (as my first set were). You may also be having the power-down problem that I have.

--Curly
Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #2589
James Adams
Misplaced

Lithium batteries maintain a pretty constant output voltage until they're dead, as opposed to the gradually-decreasing output voltage of an alkaline battery, so an ordinary alkaline battery tester may not give a good indication of the voltage output under load. Not sure I have a good alternative, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
If you have a battery tester, check those batteries that you removed. My bet is that they're just fine (as my first set were). You may also be having the power-down problem that I have.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #2590
WoodWorks
House Ape

What I did (in addition to testing them in a little Radio Shack tester that I have) is to put them into a bluetooth trackpad. The Mac OS shows the battery condition under load of all bluetooth devices. After my Connect powered down unexpectedly, I replaced the original batteries with new ones, and I put the old ones in my trackpad. The battery level indicator on my Mac showed that they still were at 100%. More than a week of daily use later, they're still at 100%.

--Curly
Old 06-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #2591
James Adams
Misplaced

That would be a great way to test the batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
What I did (in addition to testing them in a little Radio Shack tester that I have) is to put them into a bluetooth trackpad. The Mac OS shows the battery condition under load of all bluetooth devices. After my Connect powered down unexpectedly, I replaced the original batteries with new ones, and I put the old ones in my trackpad. The battery level indicator on my Mac showed that they still were at 100%. More than a week of daily use later, they're still at 100%.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #2592
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldo500 View Post
So I was ready to drop a hundred bucks on one for a five week solo trip I'm starting this Friday, and I figured that I might as well check with the good folks of ADVrider first. Well, I'm glad I did, because I was able to snag one at this price! Thanks so much for posting this! I owe you a beer or three if you're ever in San Diego!
Damn. That's a helluva price.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #2593
uhoh7
wingnut killer

Oddometer: 862
Pissed

what a bunch of tools, these SPOT people.

Been using spot 1 since they came out. Worked fine.

Now I just upgraded to the "Connect"

IT DOES NOT WORK WITH THE ORIGINAL IPHONE!!!!!!

Can you find that anywhere on their site, or in the APP details?

incredible
Old 06-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #2594
James Adams
Misplaced

What version of iOS are you running? The Connect app requires iOS 3.0 or higher as specified on the app page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
what a bunch of tools, these SPOT people.

Been using spot 1 since they came out. Worked fine.

Now I just upgraded to the "Connect"

IT DOES NOT WORK WITH THE ORIGINAL IPHONE!!!!!!

Can you find that anywhere on their site, or in the APP details?

incredible
Old 06-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #2595
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,290
Joined the SPOT club. End up riding alone a lot with the wife left at home wondering when I'll get home.

Wished I would have seen the BestBuy post before buying and activating. All-well....
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote