ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #2641
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,009
Mine's usually in my backpack, in the little top compartment for an MP3 player. It faces up and back and my body won't obstruct it at all. It doesn't work 100% there, but I haven't seen gaps of more than an hour. I ride through the woods but they aren't quite as dense as what you showed, though the land here is quite flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanStreaker View Post
I wonder if I would be better off having it under a bungee net on the tail rack than mounted on the bars?
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #2642
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoopster View Post
Mine's usually in my backpack, in the little top compartment for an MP3 player. It faces up and back and my body won't obstruct it at all.
If it's facing back, then it can't see the "front" half of the sky, so that's still not an optimum position. Of course for a bike I've never seen anyone mount it in THE optimum positon!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #2643
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoopster View Post
And the coverage out in Oregon might be more solid than in the woods of Kentucky.
Heck, after our interminable winter rains this year, ain't nothing solid out here in Oregon!

But I've ridden with the SPOT mounted there all over the western U.S., Canada and into northern Mexico for two years now. I did miss the odd tracking ping, especially in Oregon's dense forests, but never anything as severe as what MeanStreaker experienced.

If it did resume normal functioning after turning it off and on again, perhaps it's just a single example of "one of those things."

Edit: The ability to get a tracking ping up isn't as fragile as some of you want to believe. My brother forgot to turn his tracking off one time and put his SPOT-2 in a closet on the bottom floor of his two-storey, wood-frame house. The damn thing kept merrily sending up pings all night long. Their geographic location ranged around a little (within a mile or so), but they all got through.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly

WoodWorks screwed with this post 06-16-2011 at 09:25 AM
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #2644
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
So what would you do if this was your SPOT?

Thanks.
Is the spot mounted in the prone or vertical position on your handlebar mount? I have had no issues with handlebar mounting on three different bikes.
Twohondas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #2645
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
So what would you do if this was your SPOT?

Thanks.
I'd turn on tracking, put it out in the open, like on a picnic table in the back yard and run it a few hours. If it misses a bunch of pings under optimum conditions I'd be trying to get a new one.

Conversely, If it works ok, then I'd look at changing the mounting a little.

That does look like pretty dense forest, to really 'test' it you need to ride down to Baja
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #2646
mac inger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Is this right ?

This is the SPOT 2 just sitting outside the window. Not moving. The tracking is jumping all around the neighborhood.

And this is yesterday. The actual track is the green line. And then once stopped, it jumps around again. Adn pretty inaccurate by many blocks as you can see.. What gives ?

mac inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #2647
WoodWorks
House Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac inger View Post
Is this right ?
Yeah, that's what my SPOT-1 track looks like if it doesn't have a completely clear view overhead (like just outside a window), and is staying in one place for a long time. When my brother left his SPOT-2 pinging away in his downstairs closet overnight (with no view of the sky), it looked pretty much just like that.

--Curly
Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #2648
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,260
I'd say something's not right and I wouldn't be happy with that.

Look at my tracks from yesterday - link in my sig. Ran all day with the unit sitting between the seats of my car. Under the e-brake lever, with the roof of the car and my shifting arm blocking it's clear view.

Once in a while I'd have my laptop over the top of it and then I'd lose the signal and it would flash red LEDs on either the GPS or 'send msg' indicators
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #2649
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
Is the spot mounted in the prone or vertical position on your handlebar mount? I have had no issues with handlebar mounting on three different bikes.
My SPOT is parallel to the ground with the logo facing straight up to the sky.

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #2650
HogWild
Scott Whitney

When the position jumps around while the unit stays in one place, it's because the GPS signals getting to the unit are weak or blocked. That's the opposite direction, and different satellites than what the SPOT transmits UP to. Both are needed for everything to work correctly.

The "full view of the sky" does not have to be a "visible" view. It's not light that has to get from the SPOT unit to the satellite, it's radio waves. Radio waves go through glass and lots of other materials just fine. They also can reflect off metal objects, giving the illusion they go around corners. So, the nylon cover on your tank bag or plasitc saddle bags won't block the signal. Windows and some home wall materials won't block the signal that much either (does your wifi and cell phone work inside your house? But something as simple as a moist leaf can can block it.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #2651
mac inger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655

This is the window. The spot is outside on the ledge. Doesn't that seem like plenty of sky ? Obviously the back side is blocked,..i have 5 more stories above me.

Ill place it on the rooftop and let is sit there a while for a test.
mac inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #2652
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,260
make sure you assume the FOX position before expecting to receive a good signal

TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #2653
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac inger View Post
This is the window. The spot is outside on the ledge. Doesn't that seem like plenty of sky ? Obviously the back side is blocked,..i have 5 more stories above me.
If the satellites it needs to see are on the other side of your building, then no it's not plenty of sky. Since the satellites are constantly moving, sometimes you might get good results, sometimes not.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #2654
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Question Mounting?

How do you have your unit mounted? Just a velcro strapor something more substantial?
Thanks,
-ceej
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
I don't know, Hog. I had my original SPOT-1 mounted on the bars like this for two years and I never had a problem with dropouts.

Even mounted directly next to my GPS (which SPOT recommends against). And the SPOT-2 is supposed to have a better antenna. I suppose it's possible that that it's getting blocked somehow. But I'd also look for other causes.

Sorry MeanStreaker, no help from me, I'm afraid.
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #2655
WoodWorks
House Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
How do you have your unit mounted? Just a velcro strapor something more substantial?
Thanks,
-ceej
I used Touratech's GPS mount over the tripleclamp, and then fashioned my own little aluminum plate and clamped it onto the mount. Some fuzzy-side velcro on the bottom of the SPOT and the hook-side velcro on the plate, a little velcro strap wound around the whole assembly, and Bob is my uncle.

--Curly