ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 74 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #2686
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Thanks for that, bimmerx2. That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking of trying next (minus the mesh bag). Here's hoping it'll work as well for me.

Your track looks like a great ride, BTW.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #2687
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Just bought and activated a SPOT-2 (GPS Messenger)

Short story - batteries, activation, test message, test trip (car across the bay to a park; walking there for several hours (with SPOT strapped to my upper left arm), then back home. My messages came through and the track points appeared in my GPS Locations tab in my SPOT account page. So we have a reasonable functional test (not yet on bike).

Current status - cannot make Shared Page work. Also have lots of questions. Am going to watch soccer game and read their FAQ to see if answers are there (e.g. multi-profiles - how to use/pick; multi-shared pages - how to say what output goes where, or, how to set active?)

I'll be back!
-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #2688
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,107
We bought the Spot2 for a month long, solo, cross country trip our daughter just finished. It worked perfectly while on her dashboard or any time she took a hike. She had a bunch of us watching her adventure via email notices and she had a special check in message for each night when she went to bed. Everyone agreed it made the trip a lot less stressful for all of us back home.
Does anyone know how we can remove our CC from the account so we can now sell it?

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #2689
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Not the answer you want ....

Having just bought and signed up for the service, this is what I saw (and I hope someone else has better info).
You can sell the SPOT and someone else can use it (sign up for service).
But the service contract seems not to be transferrable to another person (you can transfer it to another SPOT unit).
Nor get a pro-rated refund.
Now, you could possibly sell the unit and get some money from the purchaser for the remaining service period.
Then you have to remember to cancel the service 30 days before your 1 year is up.
Optionally, you could cancel the credit card that you used for the service.
But I don't think you'll get anything back from SPOT.
see: http://faq.findmespot.com/index.php?...ntry&data=1304
Other people have better information?
-ceej
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
We bought the Spot2 for a month long, solo, cross country trip our daughter just finished. It worked perfectly while on her dashboard or any time she took a hike. She had a bunch of us watching her adventure via email notices and she had a special check in message for each night when she went to bed. Everyone agreed it made the trip a lot less stressful for all of us back home.
Does anyone know how we can remove our CC from the account so we can now sell it?

1200gsceej screwed with this post 07-03-2011 at 06:59 PM
Old 07-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #2690
Howler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Help with Spot II

Hi guys, I'm on day two of a three week motorcycle trip to Alaska and my Spot just started having problems. It's been working great, I've got my family and tons of people following it and telling me how nice it is to know where I am and not worry. Then it quit working.

About three hours ago it quit tracking. If I hit tracking the gps light blinks red (so does the power button) and if I try to send an ok message the email light and power light blink red. All of the lights blink in unison.

I am with a buddy on the trip right now and his is working fine and tracking. I've turned it on and off multiple times and taken the batteries and then put them back in. Not sure what else I can do and SPOT customer service is closed. Pretty lousy to break after two days on a trip like this if that's what happened. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #2691
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,238
Obviously the batteries should last more than a day or two but have you tried fresh batteries? Make sure you're using the proper lithium type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
Hi guys, I'm on day two of a three week motorcycle trip to Alaska and my Spot just started having problems. It's been working great, I've got my family and tons of people following it and telling me how nice it is to know where I am and not worry. Then it quit working.

About three hours ago it quit tracking. If I hit tracking the gps light blinks red (so does the power button) and if I try to send an ok message the email light and power light blink red. All of the lights blink in unison.

I am with a buddy on the trip right now and his is working fine and tracking. I've turned it on and off multiple times and taken the batteries and then put them back in. Not sure what else I can do and SPOT customer service is closed. Pretty lousy to break after two days on a trip like this if that's what happened. Any suggestions are appreciated!
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #2692
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Here is what the user manual says

Here is the information from the SPOT user's manual.
(match the Indicator to the corresponding item in Green/Red)
Blinking Red On/Off button means Low Batt.
Blinking Red GPS button says can't get a fix.

It also says that battery life is reduced if you have only 50% access to sky -> tracking for 3.5 days and (or?) 350 OK/custom messages.

I hope it is as simple and just needing new batteries.
-ceej

Indicator
GPS
Message Sending
Check-In/OK or
Custom Message
Help
SOS
Track Progress
On/Off
Blinking Gren
Searching for GPS signal.
Message transmission schedule in progress.
Check-In/OK message sequence
in progress.
SPOT in Help/SPOT Assist mode.
SOS is engaged.
SPOT in Track
Progress mode.
On
Blinking Red
GPS location fix failed.
Move to a new location.
Last message was not sent.
N/A
Help/SPOT Assist has
been cancelled.
SOS has been cancelled.
N/A
Low battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post

Old 07-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #2693
Howler
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I'll try switching out the batteries but will be surprised if that fixes it. I'll email SPOT too. This trip is the main reason I bought the thing, hopefully it will work.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:49 AM   #2694
Sydney Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
I chose to put my Spot 2 in a Pelican 1010 case and with a strap to attach it to my luggage and with a safety lanyard it stays put without issues.

There is enough room in the top of the case for a spare set of batteries.

The molded inner holds the Spot 2 perfectly ( almost like it is made for it ) and the clear cover means that it is easy to see what is going on.

I don't think that the Spot 2 gets too hot - when I open the pelican to push a button it never seems to be too hot even on really sunny days and when I stop I just put my jacket over it or take it out of the pelican in worst case.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #2695
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 349
Can Spot be trusted?

I am in Europe on a ride from Ireland to the Italian MotoGP. I carried the Spot in a tank bag to Florence. I turned it off on Friday, and left it in the hotel room until Tuesday. On Tuesday it would not power up. I installed brand new lithium batteries and verified that the battery terminals were making good contact. Called Spot, who by the way were experiencing a high volume of calls. There was nothing they could do. They wanted to do a warrany exchange, so I told them it would have to wait until I return to California. To say the least I am very disappointed!

Is Spot a POS? This is bad enough on an expensive trip to Europe, but can it be trusted in somewhere like Central America where it might be part of a survival plan?

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #2696
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
I There was nothing they could do. They wanted to do a warrany exchange, so I told them it would have to wait until I return to California. To say the least I am very disappointed!

Is Spot a POS? This is bad enough on an expensive trip to Europe, but can it be trusted in somewhere like Central America where it might be part of a survival plan?

my spot 2 died in less than 2 years and out of warranty...glad that i kept the spot 1.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #2697
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,317
I'm about to get a SPOT device for my upcoming ride up the CDR, so I decided to pop over here to the SPOT thread and see what's up. Looks like a lot of folks are having trouble with the SPOT 2. So are these complaints unique incidents, or are there widespread issues with the SPOT 2 and I should try to get my hands on a SPOT 1?

TIA
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #2698
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
My Spot 2 started becoming very erratic getting tracking and "I'm OK" signals out, even though all lights were blinking green. Many times there was over an hour between tracks and sometimes as much as 3 hours - many "I'm OK" messages missed.

Called SPOT expecting a snarly customer service rep (based on the many negative reports) but was surprised to have the call answered quickly and be advised to send in a warranty claim (only 9 months old.) Warranty dept responded within a couple of hours and asked that I send mine in and they would send a new one. Received it the day I mailed my old one off.

So, bummed about having my SPOT quietly deteriorate but happy with their service and quick replacement.

I originally got the SPOT to settle my wife down a bit as she tended to worry when I was on trips by myself. So, up until recently that worked well. If I were on a longer trip, I think I might get one of those EPRIB type devices for emergencies - don't know if my confidence level is all that great with the SPOT if I need to call in the Marines.
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #2699
Howler
Gnarly Adventurer

Based on my experience so far I wouldn't recommend buying a Spot II or Spot anything.. I am currently on a trip from Texas to Alaska and the spot died after two days. I spent a few hours trying to find lithium batteries in little South Dakota towns thinking that was the issue but it wasn't. I contacted Spot, the customer service people were nice and said they would send me a new one but I need to pay over 50 dollars for expedited shipping. The unit barely cost more than that and still over half of my trip would be over at that point.

In short so far I'm very disappointed. I've been planning this trip for over a year and have tons of family,friends and co workers following the link. Instead of enjoying my trip I've spent my time waiting to get through the Spot 800 number and explaining to people following the link why it still shows me in South Dakota. At this point I would skip it and just download an IPhone app that tracks you rather than spending over $300 for a service that doesn't work.

Howler screwed with this post 07-06-2011 at 03:25 PM
Old 07-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #2700
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,317
I see the older model for sale on Amazon, I wonder if that would be a better choice.

2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote