ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #2746
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNF View Post
Well you guys convinced me. So I bought one.

Well I can't register it as it won't take my postal code. No customer service till Monday as they are closed on the weekend...

So I ride Spotless today.
You ride with a Spotless Record!
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #2747
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
And with over 2700 posts in the thread, how do you rate the probability that that there are only 20 disaffected users?
There are an awful lot more than 20 unhappy customers.

We'll never know how many people were in a life-or-death situation, tried to activate their Spot, and had it fail.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #2748
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
There are an awful lot more than 20 unhappy customers.

We'll never know how many people were in a life-or-death situation, tried to activate their Spot, and had it fail.
then there's those that don't check their tire pressure and go into a turn nice and hot .......
Who's to blame there? The tire companies? There must be someone else to blame right?
There are those always looking to blame someone, are you one of them?
If you don't cover your a$$ more than one way, then you're on Darwin's short list,
Freakin' complainers ........

if you don't like the unit or the service, return it, cut your losses and go back to the way it was,
or go find something else that's better ......
or come up with your own technology / company / product.

Freakin' complainers ......

oh crap, am I complaining about the Freakin' complainers ?
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #2749
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
...if you don't like the unit or the service, return it, cut your losses and go back to the way it was,

Amen Brother!
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #2750
firemedic3293
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
jager- i think u can go back and edit your initial contacts/ emergency info under the My account -> Devices -> click on the specific device (same place u can edit your custom/ok/ help messages. At the very bottom where it shows your emergency contact/ emergency info you can edit it from there. I have done it once or twice as I kept thinking of stuff to add for the emergency info.
SPOT Shared Page
RDS Adventure D/S Forum
firemedic3293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #2751
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
then there's those that don't check their tire pressure and go into a turn nice and hot .......
Who's to blame there? The tire companies? There must be someone else to blame right?
If you don't cover your a$$ more than one way, then you're on Darwin's short list,

if you don't like the unit or the service, return it, cut your losses and go back to the way it was,

Mine failed in a Panama jungle, the the middle of the Atacama Desert. After it failed the first time, I brought it back to the US, and it worked perfectly. A few weeks later, when I was in the Atacama, it was a little late to just ring up Customer Service (they never answer anyway). It's a device that's supposed to NOT fail when there's an emergency.

Obviously I made it out of the jungle and I made it out of the Atacama. No Darwin Award for me. Spot was part of a well-planned exit strategy. My GPS, SAT Phone, compass, and contingency plans worked. Spot, however, didn't. Next week when my kids go back-country canoeing in The Boundary Waters, they'll take a PLB, but not a Spot.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #2752
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
I suspect we probably would be hearing about it. At least some of them or their families would probably be lawyering up.

Something like this:
Recently, the Equipped to Survive Foundation, an institution focusing on urban, wilderness, aeronautical and maritime survival techniques, procedures and equipment, released its results from a study on the effectiveness of a number of EPIRB and PLB models. One model in particular, manufactured by McMurdo Ltd., based in the United Kingdom, showed some eye-opening results. According to the report, the McMurdo Fastfind 406 PLB and the McMurdo Precision 406 GPS EPIRB generally failed to reveal locations except under ideal conditions, even when four to six GPS satellites showed strong signals. In fact, the McMurdo beacons reportedly failed to reveal locations in every test except those involving virtually ideal weather conditions - only slight swells and a glassy water surface. During testing, the PLB failed to provide a new location after being moved. The report indicates that the U.S. Coast Guard found in 2003 that McMurdo beacons were severely degraded by the presence of water in the antenna well.

If you or a loved one was injured because of a McMurdo EPIRB or PLB, it may be important to contact an attorney who can help you protect your legal rights. Please keep in mind that there may be time limits within which you must commence suit.

Lawyers associated with InjuryBoard.com will evaluate your case free of charge. In addition, you will not pay any fees unless your attorney recovers money for you. Please click on the free Ask An Attorney button to take advantage of this valuable service.
Quote:
Next week when my kids go back-country canoeing in The Boundary Waters, they'll take a PLB, but not a Spot.
No worries then! PLBs never fail!
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #2753
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
I suspect we probably would be hearing about it. At least some of them or their families would probably be lawyering up.

Something like this:
Recently, the Equipped to Survive Foundation, an institution focusing on urban, wilderness, aeronautical and maritime survival techniques, procedures and equipment, released its results from a study on the effectiveness of a number of EPIRB and PLB models. One model in particular, manufactured by McMurdo Ltd., based in the United Kingdom, showed some eye-opening results. According to the report, the McMurdo Fastfind 406 PLB and the McMurdo Precision 406 GPS EPIRB generally failed to reveal locations except under ideal conditions, even when four to six GPS satellites showed strong signals. In fact, the McMurdo beacons reportedly failed to reveal locations in every test except those involving virtually ideal weather conditions - only slight swells and a glassy water surface. During testing, the PLB failed to provide a new location after being moved. The report indicates that the U.S. Coast Guard found in 2003 that McMurdo beacons were severely degraded by the presence of water in the antenna well.

If you or a loved one was injured because of a McMurdo EPIRB or PLB, it may be important to contact an attorney who can help you protect your legal rights. Please keep in mind that there may be time limits within which you must commence suit.

Lawyers associated with InjuryBoard.com will evaluate your case free of charge. In addition, you will not pay any fees unless your attorney recovers money for you. Please click on the free Ask An Attorney button to take advantage of this valuable service.
No worries then! PLBs never fail!
Which is why I carried a Spot, an ACR PLB, and an Iridium Sat phone as part (but not all) of my emergency planning. My kids in the Boundary Waters are prepared. Either I or their mother have taken them for 10 years.

I had no idea the mcmurdo PLBs were such POS. Thanks for the info. Are there any other PLBs that fail so badly?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #2754
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Well after two calls (two different issues signing up) I have a working Spot II. Hopefully test it out this week.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #2755
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
I have a great working Spot 2. Never an issue, I put my own e-mail address on the "all OK, just checking in" e-mail list to chums and family, and have always gotten an e-mail soon after on my Blackberry after hitting the check-in button.

I have never had an issue with it loosing power or hosing battery life or run time, it seems to go forever.

That being said, I opened the back of it up today, to change the batteries out of guilt, as they have been in there since last fall. The unit was still working when powered up.

I took the back off, and saw that one of the batteries had oozed just a little bit, guess it was time to change them out. I took a Q tip and dipped it alchol, to scrub out the back of the unit where the batts had rested.

Without realizing it, I inadvertantly "wiped" the ESN and or other numbers right off the little white tag back there. It was like ink jet print on a paper tag.

Uhhhh...

OOOOPS.

Careful back there.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #2756
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday View Post
I took the back off, and saw that one of the batteries had oozed just a little bit, guess it was time to change them out. I took a Q tip and dipped it alchol, to scrub out the back of the unit where the batts had rested.
Too bad about the ESN but it is stored in your Spot profile, anyway, so you could write it back in there.

Re: battery leakage cleanup. Try lemon juice - it works wonders.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #2757
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 347
[QUOTE=spidennis;16469279]

/QUOTE]

Ah diddums... Poor wittle you having to read a little negativity! Or did you buy the stock at $3?

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #2758
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,732
Quote:

why dismiss the complains?

i like spot, and have the spot 1; and will continue to subscribe, but spot 2 (my s2 died after the warranty ended) and connect suck! i want the company to succeed and forever be #1 in the industry, but for them to get there, they have to hear our gripes and improve on their product.

we pay for the device and service, and we expect it to work flawlessly. don't you agree? just because of spot's reliability issue, i use mine as a SECONDARY tool to get me out of trouble.

i also have the garmin 60csx. unlike my spot2, the 60 had been subjected to a lot of abuse for the last 3 years and still working great. if you want to see how often i ride and crash..., check this out....http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318376
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #2759
shu

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday View Post
I have a great working Spot 2. Never an issue, I put my own e-mail address on the "all OK, just checking in" e-mail list to chums and family, and have always gotten an e-mail soon after on my Blackberry after hitting the check-in button.
Same here. My SPOT 2 tracks reliably, and sends messages reliably.

Never had to use the SOS but experience tells me that Search & Rescue is a complicated business and things often go wrong and take a lot longer than one expects. I'll be happy with my SPOT if the emergency message goes out and the rescue process gets started. Mostly I try to ride in the backcountry as though no one will be there to help and whatever happens is on me to get through. This means I often turn around before I reach my goal and I'm ok with that.

..........shu
shu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:41 AM   #2760
Reklaw59
Softroader

Oddometer: 206
Buyer Beware

There are still dodgey Spot 2 units about. I bought one last month on Evilbay and am now in the process of waiting and waiting for the special packaging to arrive to return the unit.
Why weren't they withdrawn from the stockists?
Reklaw59 is offline   Reply With Quote