ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #3376
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stricko View Post
So I got a SPOT connect 1 month ago. put new Lithium batteries in it.bought a RAM mount for the handlebars to give it a clear view of the sky. took off on a rece ride for a look see and to test the tracking on the SPOT... switched on , did a checkin all OK .. set tracking ON waited for a while then took off for the ride. 1/2 hr later noticed that no lights were working on the SPOT.. turned back on and took off again... checked to see if it was working NO LIGHTS ON !!!
BLahh didnt bother to turn it on again... Bought another set of batteries for the next weekend trip and day of departure did the same routine... and the SPOT continued to turn off over the 2 day ride !!
Logged a warrenty claim via their website with a lengthy note regarding it's NON performance.And told them to have a look at the checkins and tracking to see that it was shuting down . Got an email with a place to send it back to when I recieve the new one. Now awaiting for the replacement SPOT to see if it is as dodgy as the first one..
And yes I tried stuffing the battery cover with paper - foam - ear plug etc But as I explained to SPOT in my lengthy note " I am baffled why I should have to Stuff the battery compartment to stop batteries possibly rattling loose" " when they claim and state it is built tough and rugged "
I shall report again once I recieve and test the replacement SPOT connect.
Wow, that stinks.

Although the SPOT Connect sounded like a great concept when it came out, has there been anyone that's really happy with it and having good luck? I haven't seen a lot of reports of it in this thread, but what I have seen seems to be negative in most aspects.

I hope it the 2nd one works better for you.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #3377
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 468
Had to use my spot 2 weekends ago. No medical emergency, but I was out playing on some dirt trails when my Wee lost almost all power to the rear wheel.

(I now know that it was just needing a clutch adjustment, but I didnt have the tools in the tool kit to remove the cover, or the knowledge that was the issue)

Was also 80 miles from my house. So, while in the middle of nowhere, I managed to pull up the coverage on my cell and add roadside assistance. Then babied the bike to a gas station that had some tables and some warm grub, and then hit the button. 3 minutes later, they called, asked the issue, and then said they would call back as soon as tehy found me a tow truck. We agreed on a place about 50 miles where I could meet a friend to get back the final bit ($5 a mile after that was the going rate). They called back in 30 min, and said the tow truck would be there in 90 min.

Guy showed up with a normal to truck and a motorcycle trailer. We chatted about bikes and stuff all the way back to the outskirts of Pittsburgh.

So far, so good. Already paid for itself, much better deal than triple A.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #3378
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132
Sounds like the vibes from the bike were causing the batteries to loose their connections with the terminals. I had a similar problem with a Garmin ETREX and fixed it with some paper "spacers" to hold the batteries tighter.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #3379
Stricko
DRZ'er

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Wow, that stinks.

Although the SPOT Connect sounded like a great concept when it came out, has there been anyone that's really happy with it and having good luck? I haven't seen a lot of reports of it in this thread, but what I have seen seems to be negative in most aspects.

I hope it the 2nd one works better for you.

Well new replacement SPOT connect has arrived, updated firmware, rang SPOT in the USA to get the old device cancelled and swapped over to the new one. Great service and changed over in about 2 minutes. Paired with phone and checkin sent, no dramas so far. Now to hit the tracks and see how it goes for round 2
Stricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #3380
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Used SPOT

Bought an used SPOT, tried to register my own account but failed.
The previous user's account is still active. Emailed to the seller for the account detail but no answer.
Call the SPOT service, really nice guy received my information and trying to get the previous user for the detail.
Waiting....

Link to All about VietNam

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #3381
BrzGSAdv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Rechargeable or Disposable Lithiums?

Hi mates... using a SPOT 2 and planning a long trip next week. I want to buy some extra batteries for this 10-day trip as I will be riding solo.

Anything you know against using rechargeable lithium batteries with SPOT? I live in Brazil and those seem easier to find (as people buy them to use in digital cameras, etc) than disposable...

Thx a lot for the help!
1978 Yamaha TT125
Ride on!!!
BrzGSAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #3382
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzGSAdv View Post
Hi mates... using a SPOT 2 and planning a long trip next week. I want to buy some extra batteries for this 10-day trip as I will be riding solo.

Anything you know against using rechargeable lithium batteries with SPOT? I live in Brazil and those seem easier to find (as people buy them to use in digital cameras, etc) than disposable...

Thx a lot for the help!
Rechargeable lithium battery may be the best options. Unless you can mod your Spot to connect with your bike power outlet as what I did to my previous GoPro.

Link to All about VietNam

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #3383
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
A set of non rechargeable will last a few weeks of continuous tracking
Old 06-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #3384
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,035
In case any of you are existing SPOT customers and interested in a sat phone:
$100 SPOT Phone rebate

Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #3385
BruceI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Spot link to Iphone?

New to Iphone, have had a Spot since 2009. Wondering if there is an app the equivalent to a bookmark that would allow my wife to check my location on her phone instead of a computer. Not sure what the Spot connect app is all about, but seems more complicated than what I'm looking for. Suggestions?
BruceI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #3386
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,458
You need the connect app to interface with your device, she needs the spot app to view your location. I think the spotwalla gives a better map for viewing on iPhone, just my personal taste.
I'm not sure if you just had her log into your acct and bookmark that page how it would look?
On the spot app the screen is to cluttered And the actual map is tiny, that's why I like spotwalla.
Hope this makes sense, I'm on my phone and don't have my spot handy.

Sorry didn't read 2009 you have a ver 1 or 2 so you only need the spot app or spotwalla.

Bob screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 10:17 AM
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #3387
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,035
+1. The Spot website is awful to unusable on mobile. Create a Spotwalla page and your wife will be able to view your tracks.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #3388
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
SPOT Shared Page Mobile
Think the designer makes it for iPhone and Android both. Works very well.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #3389
Sir Dave
Big Dave

Oddometer: 67
Looking your help

Am taking a two week ride in 5 weeks. Long story short between all the other things that go into making sure every last detail has been addressed I have left the SPOT to last. And honestly, I just flat do not have the time to read this entire thread to learn what is the best unit, easiest unit, etc.. SO I am asking for the advice of those already in the know. In the little time I have had to read I am leaning toward the SPOT CONNECT. My wife is not a computer guru, so I need an easy interface for her (Spotwalla looks to be the choice here) my son is going with me (40 years old and great rider) and I know his wife would appreciate knowing he is ok and his kids would probably like to follow daddy as we travel this great route. Also 4 other guys on the ride...so the more riders the greater the chance of something going wrong......anyway....you all know that...so once again guys....I would truly truly appreciate any information you may provide...my brain is mush....and....yes....I am looking for the direct route to the mountain top....your recommendations please!
Thanks,

dave
Old 07-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #3390
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
how to change the tracking intervals?

hello,

sorry for the last minute, questions....
i fly to korea tomorrow morning to start my ride,

i have a spot gen2, first time, just activated, and cant for the life of me figure out how to change the tracking intervals? i want 30 or 60min updates (to make the batteries last)

cheers
ed

Pine Sol screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 10:45 PM
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote