ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #3391
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dave View Post
[COLOR="Cyan"]Am taking a two week ride in 5 weeks. Long story short between all the other things that go into making sure every last detail has been addressed I have left the SPOT to last. And honestly, I just flat do not have the time to read this entire thread to learn what is the best unit, easiest unit, etc..
I'd recommend a SPOT 2 over the Connect. Less "issues." Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Sol View Post

i have a spot gen2, first time, just activated, and cant for the life of me figure out how to change the tracking intervals? i want 30 or 60min updates (to make the batteries last)

and here is a really daft question....
how to turn the thing off? i push and hold the power button for 3 seconds, but it doesnt turn off.... is there a trick that i am failing to do?

cheers
ed
Can't change tracking interval.

Hold the power button down for 5 seconds--just keep holding it down until the light goes off.

Next Trip: the Nevada-Utah-Arizona 3 step (hoping, DingWeed)...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #3392
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworkingdog View Post
i'd recommend a spot 2 over the connect. Less "issues." simple.
+1. Just push the power and track buttons on the unit and it works.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #3393
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,584
I would agree with others and if you want simple, don't get the SPOT Connect. The SPOT 2 is probably the easiest to use. The SPOT 3 probably is fine too, but its still pretty new and haven't seen any reviews on it yet.

I'm partial to the SPOT 1 for its awesome battery life, but the combination OK/Tracking button throws people off.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 06:54 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #3394
Sir Dave
Big Dave

Oddometer: 67
Thank you!

Great...thanks everyone...this is just what I needed...the Spot 2 it is...wow...thanks again!
Ride Safe
dave
Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #3395
Sir Dave
Big Dave

got the spot 2 can you help with these questions?

Hey guys..got SPOT2....have some questions:
1. Purchased GEOS SPOT insurance...in the event of an SOS call the costs are covered by having this insurance. This is my understanding..please correct/comment if I need to be enlightened.
2. I am the only one in our group of six who currently has the GEOS coverage..I am reading others in the group can purchase the insurance and attach themselves to the ID # of my SPOT....right?
3. Purchased the SPOT assist package....if I break down push the assist button and they send out a tow truck....Right!?!?!....comments? Did I screw up?
4. Does anyone know if pushing the Spot Assist button for a tow I will owe additional fees beside the usual tow fees etc.?
5, I did not purchase the tracking feature...wow that is $$$..anyway I read that I could invite friends to watch the progress of the trip on a SPOT shared page..which because I have declined the tracking package will only display my location at time of "OK" message transmissions. Am I understanding this correctly?
Thanks guys....I look forward to seeing what you think and what I may have missed.
Ride Safe
dave
[/COLOR]
Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #3396
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
ADV location page in Spotwalla

Reminder.
There is an ADV location page in Spotwalla.
If you have a SPOT device you:
1. might want a Spotwalla account if you don't have one.
2. might want to join the ADV location page.
See this thread for details.
-ceej

PS
if this has been posted here before, then consider it a BUMP!
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #3397
UnclebudinTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
5, I did not purchase the tracking feature...wow that is $$$..anyway I read that I could invite friends to watch the progress of the trip on a SPOT shared page..which because I have declined the tracking package will only display my location at time of "OK" message transmissions. Am I understanding this correctly?
Thanks guys....I look forward to seeing what you think and what I may have missed.
Ride Safe
dave[/COLOR][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I would not have passed on this option.. it is nice to go back and review you route after the trip via the bread crumbs track. On spot walla they are there for a long time im not sure how long.... also with tracking you're wife or gf can log in and see where you are and avoid those cell phone calls of when you going to be home... being able to share my trips via tracking has added a new dimension to my riding, for example at lunch the other day I told some guys about recent trip to Colorado over the weekend, I can never remember the road number or every small town we went through . So I pulled up spotwalla on the ole smart phone and just showed them... the tracking gives my wife peace of mind about my riding long distances alone or even with a group. She called my cell one time to tell me I was on the wrong road..I had just stopped to get map out so I had already figured that out.. dam elpaso tx get me turned around even with a zumo gps..
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000st (sold)
1991 Harley XLHsporty 883 (sold)
UnclebudinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #3398
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnclebudinTX View Post
I would not have passed on this option.. it is nice to go back and review you route after the trip via the bread crumbs track. On spot walla they are there for a long time im not sure how long.... also with tracking you're wife or gf can log in and see where you are and avoid those cell phone calls of when you going to be home... being able to share my trips via tracking has added a new dimension to my riding, for example at lunch the other day I told some guys about recent trip to Colorado over the weekend, I can never remember the road number or every small town we went through . So I pulled up spotwalla on the ole smart phone and just showed them... the tracking gives my wife peace of mind about my riding long distances alone or even with a group. She called my cell one time to tell me I was on the wrong road..I had just stopped to get map out so I had already figured that out.. dam elpaso tx get me turned around even with a zumo gps..
Don't forget a track log just might save your ass when you're too crippled to get to the Spot and push the button. Whomever you instruct to check your Spot(walla) page should know you're not camping in a ditch and be able to send assistance.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #3399
UnclebudinTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjames View Post
Don't forget a track log just might save your ass when you're too crippled to get to the Spot and push the button. Whomever you instruct to check your Spot(walla) page should know you're not camping in a ditch and be able to send assistance.
My trip to Colorado two weeks ago involved me going "offroad" in a non intentional way... some nice people stopped to see if I was ok... and insisted on calling 911 ... 911 couldnt figure out where we were and we had no idea till a local stopped and gave us an location. I didnt even think about hitting the spot rescue button till we had it figured out... I guess that proves the point that "tracking" is a good thing to have.. I was checked out by ems and released .. completed the trip another 800 miles with what turned out to be a few broken ribs... still in first few minutes of the accident it never crossed my mind to hit the rescue button...just imagine had I been alone , knocked out.......
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000st (sold)
1991 Harley XLHsporty 883 (sold)
UnclebudinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #3400
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Is the new spot 3 better at getting a satellite signal than the spot 2? I just want something simple to send an OK messages once in a while and call for help. The only difference I see with the 3 is better tracking which isn't a big deal to me. A better signal would be more comforting though. The 2 is about half the price of the 3.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #3401
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettRB View Post
Is the new spot 3 better at getting a satellite signal than the spot 2?...
I'd say a call to SPOT would be the best way to find out...I didn't realize they'd come out with a 3, it looks pretty good. I see it takes 33% more batteries to get twice the run-time .

I'm going to guess that the radio innards are no different than the 2. I do think the added features would be worth having over the long run though. I get pretty good run-time by simply turning off the SPOT2 at the end of the day's travels and turning it back on right before I head out, but sometimes it's easy to forget.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #3402
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

I looked at the spot website and basic tracking is included in the Spot 3 whereas the other units it's an additional $50/year. In that case the price hike of the new spot isn't so bad then.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #3403
Sir Dave
Big Dave

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies to my questions. I'm sure it has been covered in this thread but I also purchased the insurance from GEOS the search and rescue coordination center which receives your SOS from the spot. The rate is $18.00/year and covers two incidents a year of up to $50,000.00 each. In speaking with GEOS the rep. stated a typical rescue will run anywhere from 15 to $35,000.00 which the individual GEOS comes after is responsible for. If, for example, the helicopter cannot land due to terrain and/or weather and they return to base and come back for you the next day you are charged for two flights. SO the eighteen dollars is a definite no brainer! As a newcomer to the world of the SPOT I did not know about this and just happened to come across it as I was creating my account. Hopefully this info. will assist the next newbie...Thanks again.
Ride Safe,
dave
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #3404
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

GEOS "insurance"

I too pay for it, the price is low enough. That said, I'm not sure how often a rescue results in a charge to the rescue-ee. I truly do not know, but I suspect at least in the USA there is often no charge--just part of the Police/Fire/S&R service.

Would be curious to hear first-hand reports of a charge for rescue...

There are some places--friends in Colorado have mentioned this--where you can buy an annual S&R card which serves as a fund-raiser for S&R services, like a AAA card for wilderness activity.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #3405
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
I too pay for it, the price is low enough. That said, I'm not sure how often a rescue results in a charge to the rescue-ee. I truly do not know, but I suspect at least in the USA there is often no charge--just part of the Police/Fire/S&R service.

Would be curious to hear first-hand reports of a charge for rescue...

There are some places--friends in Colorado have mentioned this--where you can buy an annual S&R card which serves as a fund-raiser for S&R services, like a AAA card for wilderness activity.
On a hiking trip in the Sierras we had to call for a helicopter because someone came down with HAPE. The pilot told us we were lucky we were picked on the Western end of the ravine. That side is in a certain county that covers rescue costs. If it was the other side, we would have paid for it. I forget how much it was, but it was in the $1000's. We had no idea about that until the pilot told us!