ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #3406
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,628
Check the SPOT terms and conditions for the rescue deal. If I recall, THEY have to initiate the rescue from your SPOT help signal. If you send the signal and then call 911 I thought I heard they would then not cover the rescue.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #3407
Jaseun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
I recently bought the Spot Gen3. I got it from EMS for $125 after an in store rebate. So far I am really impressed with it's performance. My wife and I went hiking today in some dense forest. We had tracking turned on and it did pretty well. It missed many track points, but when we tested the custom message and ok check in they were 100%. I was hiking with it clipped on my right waist. When we tested the checkins we set it on the ground with the antenna facing up.

With the Spot I'm encouraged to do more back woods riding now. I don't have any off road riding friends so I guess I just made a new one in my Spot!
Jaseun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #3408
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Is the spot tracking data easy for other people to follow? Does it require logging into a special website? One of the big reasons I want to get a spot is to let my family follow my track so they know I'm ok.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #3409
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettRB View Post
Is the spot tracking data easy for other people to follow? Does it require logging into a special website? One of the big reasons I want to get a spot is to let my family follow my track so they know I'm ok.
Yes. You log into SPOT , create a public tracking page and send the URL to family/friends. As log as the tracking page is public, they just click on the link you give them and they see your track & position. Each position is time-stamped.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #3410
UnclebudinTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
You can also setup an account at a website called spotwalla there you can set up "trips" by date.. so if your going on two day trip leaving friday afternoon an returning on sunday I would suggest you set up your spotwalla "trip" to start at 12.01am friday and end at 12.01am tuesday. I add the extra time cause you never know if your trips going to be delayed due weather, mechanical issues ect.. when you set up your trip at spot walla it will give you a link that you can email to who ever you want to follow you. You can also post the link on facebbook or any forum you want to share it on.
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000st (sold)
1991 Harley XLHsporty 883 (sold)
UnclebudinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #3411
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok I got a Gen3 spot in preparation for my Nova Scotia trip. I can't figure out why it's not working as expected. I took it on my drive to and from work today. 45 minutes each way. It didn't track a single point to work. Halfway home it tracked 1 point (point 4). The other 3 points on the map are from when I pressed the OK button on the spot. The OK button never sent a message out though?

On the way home I thought maybe driving in the car wasn't shaking it enough so the vibration sensor wasn't activating, so I shook it now and then. I wonder if that's why I got a point on the way home but not too work? I'm confused..

Here's my map of the points:
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Tsjf55UqBn9n6d
Old 08-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #3412
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
I'm confused..
Did you give it a full view of the sky like they say, i.e. was it on your roof or hood? If it's on your dash, or anywhere else inside the car, your roof is probably blocking a major portion of the sky. Sometimes it works with these blockages, sometimes it doesn't.

Did you put it in track mode? How much time after pressing the OK button did you give it before you put it in track mode? Which tracking delay setting did you have it set for, 2min?, 10min?

Quote:
The other 3 points on the map are from when I pressed the OK button on the spot. The OK button never sent a message out though?
This is confusing. Did it send the OK messages out or not? If they are on the map, then it must have sent them out. But then you say it didn't send them out.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #3413
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
This is confusing. Did it send the OK messages out or not? If they are on the map, then it must have sent them out. But then you say it didn't send them out.
Sounds to me like the OK went out but the text message or email which he thought was going to happen as well, didn't.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #3414
Jaseun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Ok, help and SOS messages will override and cancel pending tracking messages. Maybe you should slow down and give spot a chance to work as designed. It's not an iPhone you know.
Jaseun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:34 AM   #3415
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Did you give it a full view of the sky like they say, i.e. was it on your roof or hood? If it's on your dash, or anywhere else inside the car, your roof is probably blocking a major portion of the sky. Sometimes it works with these blockages, sometimes it doesn't.

Did you put it in track mode? How much time after pressing the OK button did you give it before you put it in track mode? Which tracking delay setting did you have it set for, 2min?, 10min?

The spot was inside the car on the dash while driving. I got an OK message to go out last night. So the 4 points on my map from the previous few days are from the tracking option. The new 5th point is the OK message. I have the basic plan for the gen3 which I think has 10 minute tracking intervals?

If I understand the manual right, the message light should blink green once the message is sent and red if their was a problem. On mine the OK light was blinking green for a while and then the message light started blinking green but the message didn't go through. The manual says it can take up to 20 minutes so maybe if the lights are blinking green I should leave it running anyways. It would be nice to know if it really went through though. I'll have to do some more experimenting today.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #3416
UnclebudinTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
If you include your own cell number on the list it serves as confirmation the message went out..

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000st (sold)
1991 Harley XLHsporty 883 (sold)
UnclebudinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:25 AM   #3417
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

My spot seems to be working great now. It drops a track every 10 minutes or so and messages go through quickly. Maybe when I first signed up for the service it wasn't fully activated for a few days? It works fine in the chest pocket of my jacket which is the ideal spot for it.

If anyone is wondering the USB port on the gen3 is the same connector most cellphone use.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #3418
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,694
Quote:
It works fine in the chest pocket of my jacket which is the ideal spot for it.
How is this the "ideal spot" if you can't see it to push the buttons, is not being held horizontal as it should be for best performance, and it would probably break your ribs if you fell off and landed on it?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #3419
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
How is this the "ideal spot" if you can't see it to push the buttons, is not being held horizontal as it should be for best performance, and it would probably break your ribs if you fell off and landed on it?
Exactly!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #3420
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think it's ideal for me in case I get flung off the bike or the bike goes off a cliff.