ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #3421
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettRB View Post
I think it's ideal for me in case I get flung off the bike or the bike goes off a cliff.
That's your prerogative, but it's far from "the ideal position" for the reasons I mentioned.

If you have to have it on you, there are arm band holders which provide better sat coverage because the unit is held more horizontally, the Spot is easier to use because you can see the buttons, and they're less likely to cave in your chest if you land on them.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #3422
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
How is this the "ideal spot" if you can't see it to push the buttons, is not being held horizontal as it should be for best performance, and it would probably break your ribs if you fell off and landed on it?
Or, put your SPOT on the handlebars to do the tracking and "I'm OK" stuff and carry a PLB (which is supposed to do a better job of calling in the Marines) in a pocket that won't cause broken bones when you do the inevitable get off.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #3423
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
how to rest the "Help" button?

guess i should be more careful with kids sitting on my bike... lesson learned.

i assumed that the batteries were dead, so i swapped them for new ones, and now it wont turn on...

how do i reset the "Help" button on my SPOT2?

thanks
edd

Pine Sol screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 01:10 AM
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #3424
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
What if I use my Spot to help someone else?

If someone I am riding with has a serious prang and needs help I wouldn't hesitate to mash the emergency button on my Spot. But can I also send a custom message that would tell my contacts that it isn't me?

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #3425
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin74Q View Post
If someone I am riding with has a serious prang and needs help I wouldn't hesitate to mash the emergency button on my Spot. But can I also send a custom message that would tell my contacts that it isn't me?
Not as far as I know. But, on mine(version one) I had planned if the occasion arose to so exactly that, send a 911, then once emergency services had responded and arrived on scene send an ok message, or even three.

If you set up your contact list with a list of scenarios then one of them would be to stop worrying about your personal safety if a 911 is followed by 3 oks

If course, you could remove your family from your 911 message list, saves them worrying and there is nothing they can really do anyway, leave it to the professionals to respond and to contact your family via your SPOT contact details

Cheers
TraveklingStrom
Old 09-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #3426
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
The Spot II has a custom message you can set up before the event to do just that. Or if you have a Smartphone or web access, you can modify your existing message at the moment.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #3427
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
I know the Gen3 has a custom message button. You can configure that to say something like "Activating the spot for someone else". Send that message out and then send the SOS message. BUT if you do that you need to wait until that message gets sent before pressing the SOS button. Because I believe once you hit the SOS button, it cancels sending any other messages, tracking points, etc.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #3428
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

I took my Gen3 spot on a 3400 mile trip the last two weeks. It's worked great. My family had a live feed of my progress. I'm sure that helped calm my mother down while I road my scary motorcycle around.

The Spot's USB port is in a bad location though. It should be on the side of the unit, not the bottom. If it was on the side I could plug a usb cable into the spot and then slide it sideways into a sleeve on my tank bag. Unless I can find a 90 degree usb cable that fits it, it's kind of useless.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #3429
DinX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I'm planning on going on a 3 week trip through the Himalaya and was thinking about a Spot. Not for the emergency situations (it's an organised trip with 11 other people, a car, a road marshall, a guide,...) but just so people at home can follow me on a map.

Here in Europe I use a GPS tracker for that.

But I read that anything with satellite communication is forbidden in India ? Do they only mean satellite phones and stuff or also locators like the Spot ?
I know satellitez reception is about 50/50 there, but I'm just seeing it from the legal side of the matter.
DinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #3430
tuckerman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
I'm finding that when I send an okay message, it no longer gives a link to a map, just coordinates. That isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
tuckerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #3431
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

The Great Big SPOT Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerman View Post
I'm finding that when I send an okay message, it no longer gives a link to a map, just coordinates. That isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Email sent from Spot still contains a map link. Text/SMS messages only have coordinates.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #3432
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinX View Post
I'm planning on going on a 3 week trip through the Himalaya and was thinking about a Spot. Not for the emergency situations (it's an organised trip with 11 other people, a car, a road marshall, a guide,...) but just so people at home can follow me on a map.

Here in Europe I use a GPS tracker for that.

But I read that anything with satellite communication is forbidden in India ? Do they only mean satellite phones and stuff or also locators like the Spot ?
I know satellitez reception is about 50/50 there, but I'm just seeing it from the legal side of the matter.
Think about an inReach instead. Satellite coverage virtually anywhere on earth - including India. If asked, just tell them it's a GPS - which it is.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #3433
shu

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettRB View Post
I took my Gen3 spot on a 3400 mile trip the last two weeks. It's worked great. My family had a live feed of my progress. I'm sure that helped calm my mother down while I road my scary motorcycle around.

The Spot's USB port is in a bad location though. It should be on the side of the unit, not the bottom. If it was on the side I could plug a usb cable into the spot and then slide it sideways into a sleeve on my tank bag. Unless I can find a 90 degree usb cable that fits it, it's kind of useless.
These guys have it:

http://www.usbfirewire.com/u_microb_cables_angled.html

But, even with a 90 degree cable, the connection inside the SPOT feels unsupported and weak. I plugged mine in, wiggled it a bit, and decided not to even try. I just pretend it's like the old SPOT- batteries only.

...............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #3434
jaymboze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Spot...pos...!

Hi all,
Yet more problems with my spot connect.
Went for a ride yesterday,so installed new lithium batteries before heading out.
Started tracking and off I went.
During the 5 hours out on the road, the device shutdown 3 times...?
Not the first time this has happened. Device powers up again with a press of the button, but unexpectedly turns off for no apparent reason.
Tried to login to my account when I get home, only to find that I am locked out, yet again.
Rang customer support you tell me they do not know why I was locked out, so a quick reset and I'm in...!
Check the tracking log and only have a handful of locations on the map showing my ride from the day before, obviously attributed to the mysterious shutdown..

I now have ZERO faith in the unit in an emergency, as a press of the SOS button may not stay active if the unit again shuts down.

They offered me a $50 credit towards the price of a new unit, but I would not even consider another one.

NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A SPOT UNIT.

I bought this thing for use in an emergency, but if it is unreliable, what's the point...?

I READ IT ON THE INTERNET, SO IT MUST BE TRUE...
jaymboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #3435
GarrettRB
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymboze View Post
They offered me a $50 credit towards the price of a new unit, but I would not even consider another one.
They didn't offer to replace it? What's the warranty on the spot?