ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
ekms377 OP
The 2-Stroke Guy
 
ekms377's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Keller,Texas
Oddometer: 497
Top Case Question

I want a big enough top case to carry at least 2 full sized helmets or 1 helmet and a jacket. Is the matching Gobi big enough? Or should I go another route?
__________________
Eric
'00 RC51
'13 KTM 250XC
'14 KTM 350XCF-W

ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer
 
Doug Matson's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Torrance, Ca.
Oddometer: 1,573
The Gobis top case will not carry two full face helmets, one is fine but not two.
__________________
04' 950 Adventure
03' 450 EXC
05' K1200 LT
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
paulrn
User Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Central IL
Oddometer: 430
I too am loking for a large top box. Aluminum for sure. So far it seems Happy Trails is the only manufacturer to make what I am looking for.

I will be watching this thread to see if anyone else can point us in the right direction.
paulrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
simonpig
packin' heat
 
simonpig's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 1,014
I'm using the Givi Monokey E45, and really like it. Functionally, it will carry 2 full face helmets. Stylewise, I like it better than the rounded Shad KTM case, and the E460 Givi Case. It's more squared off, which fits the bikes aesthetics better. If you get it, you should get the one without the strap, it'll save you 30 bucks. You don't really need the internal strap, or the stickers. I'm using the SW-Motech Alu-rack and Givi Quick-release plate. All together it'll be bout $260. You can get it at twistedthrottle.com

Initially, I was worried since KTM and Givi don't recommend the Monokey boxes since the rack isn't suppose to support more than 16lbs, but I don't overload it. And if I ever go offroad, I'll probably take it off, anyway.

Even though I like the look of the HB Gobi box better, I think this is the most functional/stylish set-up.

Down the road, I plan on some Touratech/KTM Aluminum Boxes, and I think it'll still look badass with the E45.
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
ekms377 OP
The 2-Stroke Guy
 
ekms377's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Keller,Texas
Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig
I'm using the Givi Monokey E45, and really like it. Functionally, it will carry 2 full face helmets. Stylewise, I like it better than the rounded Shad KTM case, and the E460 Givi Case. It's more squared off, which fits the bikes aesthetics better. If you get it, you should get the one without the strap, it'll save you 30 bucks. You don't really need the internal strap, or the stickers. I'm using the SW-Motech Alu-rack and Givi Quick-release plate. All together it'll be bout $260. You can get it at twistedthrottle.com

Initially, I was worried since KTM and Givi don't recommend the Monokey boxes since the rack isn't suppose to support more than 16lbs, but I don't overload it. And if I ever go offroad, I'll probably take it off, anyway.

Even though I like the look of the HB Gobi box better, I think this is the most functional/stylish set-up.

Down the road, I plan on some Touratech/KTM Aluminum Boxes, and I think it'll still look badass with the E45.
Thx for the input.....did you mean the E45NJ? What do you think about the E52??? It suppose to hold 2 helmets and up to 22lbs.
__________________
Eric
'00 RC51
'13 KTM 250XC
'14 KTM 350XCF-W


ekms377 screwed with this post 11-08-2007 at 11:03 PM
ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:53 AM   #6
GGD
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GGD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: West side of Detroit
Oddometer: 113
happy trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrn
I too am loking for a large top box. Aluminum for sure. So far it seems Happy Trails is the only manufacturer to make what I am looking for.

I will be watching this thread to see if anyone else can point us in the right direction.
I purchased a Happy Trails box a week ago. It's great, and was easy to mount. Highy recommended
GGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
PABiker
Anywhere but here
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekms377
Thx for the input.....did you mean the E45NJ? What do you think about the E52??? It suppose to hold 2 helmets and up to 22lbs.
I used an E52 on the rear of my ST1100. It will hold 2 helmets.
PABiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:21 AM   #8
ChR1s
Spherical Bastard
 
ChR1s's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Oddometer: 336
My HJC AC-X lid does not fit in my Gobi/KTM top case unless forced shut.
__________________
Chris
ChR1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
GCRad1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GCRad1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: costa mesa, ca., usa, earth, sector-28
Oddometer: 447

As you know already, added for visual flavor.

Notice the helmet has to be laid on it's side in order for the lid to be closed. I was a little bumbed about that... but the wife likes it as a backrest and she feels safer with it back there...
GCRad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #10
ekms377 OP
The 2-Stroke Guy
 
ekms377's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Keller,Texas
Oddometer: 497
I got to ck out the E52 and the E45N at the M/C show last night......I do like the 52 but it costs twice as much as the 45. I can get everything for the 45 for the same price of just the 52 case itself. However, the 52 does look like it is made a bit better. Looks like I will be going with the E45NJ.
Thx guys.
__________________
Eric
'00 RC51
'13 KTM 250XC
'14 KTM 350XCF-W

ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014