User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Walnutwhip OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
xr650r shock Horror!

hi, recently purchased my xr650r (after reading loads on adv) and have been astounded by the performance of the bike and cant believe why i have not had one sooner guess things move slower here in uk this is after a brief encounter with a yam xt600e good little bike but totally lacking in the suspension and power. In my efforts to ds my ride and improve suspension i recently bought a eibach lowering spring and is said to be 12kg this was bought off flea bay and came with a doughnut type soft shim? anyway my fears are that this spring is for a xr650l not r model it is 25mm shorter in length will this fit the 650r? have a feeling i should not have jumped at this bargain!
Walnutwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
peru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
ask here :

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/XR650R/

someone will help
peru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Walnutwhip OP
Adventurer

Thought someone would have an idea here guess they dont know much about the xr650r
Old 11-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
pburke
Talks more than he rides

Oddometer: 995
I have never heard of a lowering spring for an XR650R. Probably meant for the L
pburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walnutwhip
Thought someone would have an idea here guess they dont know much about the xr650r
give it a couple days, it's the weekend, people are out riding, or doing other things in their life. very few here actually live on the cyber info highway

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
You do not want to lower your bike using a spring.

What you can do is put a shorter spring on the shock and shorten the stroke internally on the shock. Often there will be enough preload adjustment to allow for some lowering in this manner using the standard spring. Be careful lowering any bike, you have to be sure that there is still enough fender clearance and ground clearance, Internally limiting the stroke of both the shock and the forks is the only way that I consider acceptable.

Rick
motocd.com
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Lowering spring? You sure you're not thinking about http://www.koubalink.com/XR650R.html
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:57 PM   #8
Walnutwhip OP
Adventurer

Quite sure over the years that you can buy lowering springs i have one on my honda cr265 fitted by the previous owner the spring on the xr650 is bouncing all the time when on tarmac but is almost unoticed offroad have tried winding the preload adjusters down still too soft but feel this could have an adverse effect on progression? The spring i have here is eibach 03/98 0800 250.0700 and is 25mm shorter than standard just need to check if it will fit 650r the item supplied with it is probably for revalving?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,306
I don't understand your goal with the spring.

Are you trying to lower the bike? If so the kouba link is the way to go.

Your new spring is an inch shorter, so you are using an inch/25mm of threads just to put tension on the shock, then what?

If it is bouncing around you need to adjust the rebound or compression.

Thumper talk has a suspension and a XR650R section.

TT Suspension

TT XR650R

Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
Walnutwhip OP
Adventurer

The spring is 12kg as opposed to 9kg which i think is standard fitment on the xr650r by fitting this 12kg eibach which is 25mm shorter will stiffen and lower suspension the problem is this item may be for xr650l will it fit the r thats the question
Old 12-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #11
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,052
Eibach makes a bunch of springs. What is the part number on yours? The XR650L takes a 08890120 , the XR650R takes a 08885120.

Checking the spring rate chart, it looks like a 12kg/mm spring is appropriate for a 300# rider.

You can lower the bike by reducing the preload, but a stiffer spring won't help you there. In order to get a significant amount of lowering, you will need to modify the shock internally. A shorter spring will help you there, but it will do nothing without these internal mods. IMO, this is a better way to lower the bike than using a lowering link. It's a lot more trouble, though.

Luke screwed with this post 12-05-2007 at 07:10 PM
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #12
sstodvictory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
What is your goal, stiffening or lowering? To stiffen my XR650R I went with an Eibach 10.5 Kg spring - Eibach 885.0105.1.

Steve
sstodvictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #13
BenS.
Expert Trespasser

Oddometer: 113
Just look on the Eiback website. It lists the part number and dimensions of each spring. Then look up the spring you currently have either by the number painted on the spring (typically) or by the dimensions. For what its worth I didn't see a "lowering" spring advertised on the website. If you don't have the correct spring get rid of it. I dont think that dirtbikes are designed to be lowered by the installation of a shorter spring. The swingarm/linkage leverage ratio is designed to provide a specific amount of rising rate dampning throughout the full shock stroke. (i.e. suspension gets stiffer as it goes through its stroke) A shorter spring makes the bike lower but screws up your rear suspension action... plus it's just ghetto. While we are on the subject running your preload rings down a couple inches has the exact same effect on your suspension as a shorter spring. Lowering links are the only real way to lower a bike and maintain proper suspension action. Not to mention that I saw it on Mythbusters so it has to be true.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:04 AM   #14
QUICKSILVER
Native Arizonan

Oddometer: 60
I completely agree. I bought a new "L" and invested about a month learning all I could about suspension geometry and related info to lower the thing and preserve the original suspension. The use of an alternative spring is asking for trouble. An "R" is a wonderfully profesionally designed machine and to alter the pre-load, spring rate, or dampening to affect a change in height is not a good idea (IMO). If you send me a PM I will forward all my notes about this issue (lowering the bike) happily.
A lowering Link is really the only method worth looking at from a suspention perspective. There are really only two companies that produce a very high quality part that will proform to a level worthy of the bike:
http://www.koubalink.com/
http://www.performance-design.net/

The use of an alternative spring will create a "domino effect" on other aspects of the suspention and ride feel......just my opinion.
QUICKSILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #15
Walnutwhip OP
Adventurer

The intensions were to lower and stiffen the rear shock with the 12kg spring and no im not 300 lbs the spring was "bigger" kg to allow carrying ds stuff. In relation to LUKE and NC RICK it is possible to fit lowering spring and at the same time stiffen progression with a heavier spring but means carrying out internal work on shock hence the doughnut type shim that came with the spring. Anyway the spring no is 0800250700 as mentioned earlier and does not seem to relate to xrr or xrl what the fook is it for so i can get rid of it!

Walnutwhip screwed with this post 12-06-2007 at 01:26 PM