User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
johnjen OP
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,197
Hall of Wisdom Submittals

This is an invitation to any and all who wish to contribute to the Hall of Wisdom...

If you have a write-up that would or could be of help or perhaps it may just be of interest to the general populace here at ADVrider... This is your lucky day... We can now, thru the modern miracle of computer technology, enable your very own words and pictures to be made available to the entire known universe...

All you have to do is get it whipped into shape so that you won't embarass yourself, let alone the rest of us... I mean, my dog, we do have an image to uphold

If you want, use any of the existing offerings in the HoW as examples of what looks good and has worked OK thus far....

Contact me and we can take it to the next level...

JJ
Old 02-25-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Hi JJ,

most folks in this forum hardly know ye (you a GS fella right?), so perhaps you should introduce yourself so we can get cozy And then give us some info on WTF this is all about - I assume y'all are making a renewed push to use the thing.

The Hall of Wisdom was always a great idea, but it literally took an Act of Congress to get anything into it (particularly when it wasn't about BMWs ). Then y'all buried it at the bottom of the page, beneath JM... , so almost nobody knows of it's existence. It is now the Alley of Left Socks, at least to most folks who I chat with in this forum.

Anyways, just trying to help. It would be great if the Hall of Wizdom could host some files (public domain of course) that we have to house ourselves at the moment. Let me know if that is the case.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
johnjen OP
Mod-U-Later

Yeah, it always has been a pain to add stuff to the HoW... I kinda took over the controls and have streamlined the entire process. And during the process we moved the hosting of the HoW to an alternative site (thanks to pierce)... This gives us lots more options and room to grow...

I've toyed with this idea for a while now and have wanted to expand the range of articles to all other brands etc... When it starts getting cumbersome we will re-organize it so that people can find stuff more easily.

As for public domain stuff, I don't see a problem with that but we probably would still want to get permission from the author none the less... It isn't about the money of course (there isn't any) but more a matter of courtesy... I suppose that some might not want to be associated with our 'vision' of what motorcycling is all about but that's ok, there's plenty who do...

Yeah I'm a GS guy now but I've been on mostly 2 wheels for well over 35 years, and my 1st bike was a '71 honda scrambler, so the adv part goes way back... well sorta

Anyway it's just an invitation to those who would like to share their knowledge and experience with the rest of the inmates here in the asylum

JJ
Old 02-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #4
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Organization. yeah, that is the crux. If Robert Johnson had good directions he might not have taken that turn at the crossroads...

I might have a few ideas about that, some by experience, others given to me by smart folks. I'll spare you the rest. For example I worry that splitting forums up by brands or even certain types of bikes doesn't allow for, how shall I put this, cross-pollenation easily. The offspring of such mind-melds can often be sexual chocolate, if you follow me.

But, as for organization's sake, I do like bike specific org... so there should be some mechanism for good ideas that are not platform specific to disseminate. Perhaps a system for nominating such wizdom for inclusion in a ubiquitous section. (That of course brings up sections, which I could not understand how you could do without.)

In fact, I think that there should be a nomination system for all inclusions. Of course in the USA, voter turnout is a problem, so we could make voting mandatory under pain of death. No, there is probably a better idea out there. Somewhere. But a nomination system would keep John Q. Public from getting disgruntled en masse by seemingly illogical inclusions/exclusions.

Enough for now; obviously I need a beer.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 02-28-2006 at 01:03 PM Reason: logic
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
johnjen OP
Mod-U-Later

This is the wrong thread for your post... Very few will answer your question here... What you need to do is start a thread in say 'thumpers' or even 'old school' forums with this post... Then you'll get more attention and some answers more in line with what your looking for...

If you want I could make this change but it would be best if you did it just so you get the experience of starting a thread... (hint copy your existing post and then paste it in a new thread in the forum youe choose) Check out the forums themselves and get a feel for them to decide which one...

Good luck JJ
Old 03-07-2006, 10:47 PM   #6
Marcus Triumphus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Er, uh, well, whatta we gonna do here?
Old 03-10-2006, 10:09 AM   #7
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
This is an invitation to any and all who wish to contribute to the Hall of Wisdom...
JJ- my tire changing thread seems to have provided value to a wide range of people for a fair amount of time- I'm happy to clean it up if you think it would be of value. Feel free to PM if you'd prefer.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:22 PM   #8
johnjen OP
Mod-U-Later

Is there a link to it so I can peruse it?

JJ
Old 03-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
Is there a link to it so I can peruse it?

JJ

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50717

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:34 AM   #10
humdinger
bp

Oddometer: 616
Thumb

Its probably not the place to post this reply (the link was in this thread !?) but that was a very informative and concise 'tutorial' on tyre changing neduro, well done! I was just wondering if you carry those dandy looking tyre levers in your 'on board' tool kit or are they strictly workshop items ?
Old 04-15-2006, 08:49 AM   #11
humdinger
bp

Oddometer: 616
Well Johnjen...........

..............with all these replies, this looks like a 'Humdinger' of a thread.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #12
apeirce
So I was following Andrew

Oddometer: 2,721
Mr. Cob's kicker addition for a DRZ E or S is great.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #13
johnjen OP
Mod-U-Later

Ya gotta a linky fer dat?

JJ
Old 05-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #14
XR680R
http://borynack.com/XR650

Oddometer: 32
Suspension fluid

Not to run at the mouth but, to give a thought........
Many bikes do not get there suspension fluid changed enough. Most Japanees bikes come stock with a whale snot that has animal byproduct in the forks. Rusting internal parts. It is not 5wt as claimed and is formulated to be a compromise for big rider while still working for lighter riders. It sucks and is hard on the rider that wants to travel many miles in a day. Changing out at least the fork fluid to Golden Spectro Light cartridge fork fluid or for those that ride in higher heat ranges might want Golden Spectro Ultra Light suspension fluid, Maxima 3wt 75/395, or Silkolene 2.5wt fluid. these fluids do not fade well over 350 degrees. Cartridge fork fluid fads at about 125 degrees. Well my point is doing a lot of miles can be hard on the wrists and a plusher ride can make that trip much more enjoyable.
XR680R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:06 AM   #15
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,243
since this is not a how to post, delete it as you see fit.

good tip on fork oil, taking it a couple of steps further.....
anyone care to do suspension set up 101?
or how to correct certain problems? ala fork hops on wash board ( not a problem for me, just a suggestion) etc....
I know the basics for set up but I'm really not qualified to give advice.
most of this info would go for a wide range of bikes.