User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
psychsurf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
SV650 ADV info thread

Ok, I know that there are quite a few threads with information and a couple examples of SV650s that have been built up for more off-road purposes. Every time something new, or even something old, pops up with a off-road SV on it, there are lots of SV lovers (myself included) who want more information. The information there is available currently is extremely scattered and fragmented, and I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread dedicated to what is known and what is possible. I've looked into this a LOT, and there definitely isn't an all-in-one thread on the subject anywhere.

I'm hoping this will be a source of inspiration and go the direction of the "twin sport 500" thread, where people are experimenting and innovating and sharing new fixes. Of course, it would be nice if people would finish those projects they started, but anyway... Ultimately, it would be great if a working parts list was created here for a more dirt-capable SV. I know I'd love to see that. If nothing else, however, I'd like to see people contribute what they already know so we can have it all in one easily referenced thread.

So, what do I know?

Forks: 41mm

2008 klr has 41mm forks
CRF 450 does too
KX250
XT600 forks are 41mm, but they taper down below upper triple
Possibly use tripleclamps and forks from DL 650/1000?

Rear shock:
Here's a thread on svrider that gives myriad different options for shock swap on the SV650: http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=45179

Rear wheel:
Hub from a F650 axle spacing/sprocket almost perfect, need wheel offset adjusted.
Almost every dirted sv photo I've seen has rear spokes, so there must be other easy solutions

I re-hosted the photos I used at tinypic so they wouldn't be lost to the sands of time. If anyone took any of these photos and would rather I didn't use them this way, just let me know.

First one, the infamous yellow SV650 Enduro, by Gaspare Momesso

Contrary to myth, it was a one-off, and any allegations of him selling kits were due to his trying to sell, as a kit, the conversion parts to this one-off. God, I wonder where that stuff ended up?!

I found a quoted email by him, giving the only clue to parts list...
Quote:
SV650 Off Road in Actions during Italian Baja last month. Rider Gaspare Momesso. Also i am going to sell the entire kit for enduro : $ 1900
This kit include the following parts:

Front wheels complete of disk brake and special axel ( 21 inch )
Front fork Marzocchi Magnum 45 (tr.TU Gold)
Home made aluminum alloy triple clamp ( very expensive labor )
Brake system complete ( Nissing )
Rear Shock Absorber with spring
Rear brake system complete of aluminum brake support ( home made )
Rear wheels complete of disk brake and special axel and rear sprocket spacer ( 18 inch )
Left and right footpad with aluminum support and links ( very expensive labor )
Aluminum seat support
Aluminum battery support including special extra light powerful battery (KTM Yuasa )
Seat and rear fender ( Husaberg )
Front and rear sprockets ( 14 / 50 ) including Regina gold OR chain 420
2 link for rear arm
Chain guard
Carbonium/Kevlar Gas tank ( 7.5 liters )
Carbonium Silencer ( very loud )
Hand Guard and front light
Skid Plate
All of the above is used and was installed on the SV 650 in the Pictures.

Next, Aussie SV650 enduro. Not as polished as the yellow one, but it's being ridden!

Info found here:
Quote:
A crashed SV, Kawa KX250 forks, a custom long Ohlins shock and various other stuff, cant fit a 21" front wheel due to the SV steering geom and the radiator etc, he has plans to cut the steering head off and change the angle. I havent ridden it but my friend who has says it's pretty evil due to the wheels and steering geometry, shakes it's head seriously. However the guy who owns it (Norm Watts) rides it real FAST through anything, he's about 60 and is an ex Aussie enduro champ and his son is Shane Watts (world enduro champ) so as they say it's not the bike it's the rider. The bike he had before this one was a TRX850 done out the same way

The SV650 Supermoto by eyedragaknee

It fits in because its really only a bigger front wheel and some dirt tires away from working... Well, maybe it needs to have some mud rubbed on it as well.

I PMed to ask about it, and here's what I got.

Quote:
The rear hub is from an F650 BMW and the axle and sprocket spacing and everything are almost a perfect match for the SV. You just need to build the wheel offset correctly. Jeff at Eastcoast wheels built those for me and probably still has specs on them.

I think you could run a 19" front tire and be OK from what I remember. I ran a longer rear shock from maybe a GSXR 750? Can't remember for sure.

Front was a Cannondale supermoto fork set. A CRF450 is the same fork tube diameter, so a CRF set would work as far as bearings and stack height for the triples. I sold the whole fork setup to a guy that bolted it into his CRF450.

You might have to scrap around for the right tapered bearings, but I remember that was easy and off the shelf I think.

Hope that helps.

It handled pretty good and was fun as hell for sure.

Finally, and most recently, Amazing Ricardo's frankenSV from the "burning liberal festival 2007" thread.

All I know about this one is what can see in pictures. I PMed Amazing Ricardo, but no response yet. Looks like he's been away for a while. Hopefully he'll get back here with some solid parts info and riding impressions.

I blew up and cropped the pics for bike detail.

Ok, phew... That's the info I have on the subject, as complete as I can recal. As I said at the start, hopefully this will help and inspire others. I really hope it will inspire more folks to chime in with helpful information!

For example, what are some more 41mm forks that might bolt right in, especially ones that have the axle at the centerline of the fork rather than in front, so trail doesn't get screwed up? What about options for raising the rear, moving the pegs forward, putting a spoked hub in the swingarm, etc...?

psychsurf screwed with this post 11-11-2007 at 09:28 PM
psychsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
freecat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I've gotta bump this because I find it so interesting. I just sold my SV, and will probably replace it with a Wee Strom in the Spring, because I don't have what it takes to make those mods myself.
freecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,708
I have a very big interest in this also. I love my '01 SV and a project like this would be sweet!

BTW, I have better pictures of that last one

Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
NoahDL88
Vroom Vroom

Oddometer: 928
I love the SV650K6 it was my first, now i'm putting miles on my DL650K7. I'd love to do a SV dirtbike setup when i get the time and the SV gets a bit older, its still just a little too pretty.

My biggest fear would be breaking the radiator, my ideas for protecting it would be checking out the stunter sites and see what they do.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
psychsurf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Killer pics, bluelightning! Do you have any more information about the setup? Or did you pull those from a thread that had more info?
Old 11-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
demuire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Having taken my SV on a few minor dirt roads and intending to do more, this thread certainly sparked my interest :) I've got a 2004 SV, so I suppose slightly different to all the ones posted here (which are the earlier carb ones).

Does frankenSV have a 17" front wheel? If so, what tyre is that?

I've also noticed a distinct lack of fall-over protection (apart from the frame slider on frankenSV), how do people address the radiator-sticking-out-the-side issue? I've got frame sliders, but am not totally convinced they provide much protection off hard bitumen. The bike has gone over on bitumen and the slider seems to work... I've looked at the H&B engine guards but from the pictures in the installation instructions (I haven't been able to find proper pictures of them) they don't look like they would do much more than the frame sliders, and well, they're significantly more expensive than frame sliders so I haven't gone down that path.

I've also looked into hand guards, the DL ones look the best IMHO but they're all-plastic and don't seem to hold up all that well to falling over. Or at least, my housemate managed to break his levers on his Wee even with the handguards... He also broke the handguard.

Bashplate, does anyone have any closer pics of how it is mounted?
demuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychsurf
Killer pics, bluelightning! Do you have any more information about the setup? Or did you pull those from a thread that had more info?
I pulled them from a thread awhile back. I never kept any of the info, sorry.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by demuire
I've also noticed a distinct lack of fall-over protection (apart from the frame slider on frankenSV), how do people address the radiator-sticking-out-the-side issue?
I have a friend who used to roadrace a HawkGT, and he mounted his radiator 90 degrees off (so it was taller than wider) so it wouldn't get damaged when he crashed (often). Kind of like how the latest japanese cruisers do.

I am also watching this thread, because I've always wanted to Adventurize a Hawk.

Street Legal XR100 For Sale
clapped_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
demuire
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
I have a friend who used to roadrace a HawkGT, and he mounted his radiator 90 degrees off (so it was taller than wider) so it wouldn't get damaged when he crashed (often). Kind of like how the latest japanese cruisers do.
I would imagine that would make the radiator very vulnerable to stone damage... Nothing a good radiator guard wouldn't fix I suppose.

The Wee radiator *looks* narrower, I wonder how well it would fit on an SV frame...

Then again, unless you replace the front forks I don't think it would be possible, even with the stock radiator I've heard that the front wheel comes rather close to the radiator at full bump.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
nada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Great thread idea, psychsurf -- thanks for the resource!

I just bought an SV650 yesterday; this one:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=sv650
and am planning to outfit it as lightweight "adventure" tourer (in fact, I'm hoping to ride it on an extended Canada/Alaska tour starting next spring).

I don't think I'd ever make it an enduro or a "dirt bike" (I already have a dirt bike!). But I WOULD like to outfit it so that when I'm touring and see a graded gravel road or a pot-holed backwoods Forest Service road, I don't have to pass it up wondering, "I wonder where THAT cool-looking road goes?"

I remember passing up so many interesting looking roads on my VFR 'cause I was terrified I'd drop that big 'ol heavy bike and break all the plastic. I rode it on gravel ONCE 17 miles and swore I'd never do it again.

I expect things'll be different with the SV...much lighter, no plastic. I guess the radiator's a concern, though. Hmm...

BTW, psychsurf, I read your posts over on svrider before I bought the SV. The info over there helped me decide to give it a try. Thanks!

nada screwed with this post 11-13-2007 at 06:21 AM
nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #11
psychsurf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'd say those look like 17" wheels to me, demuire. I don't know the tire though, anyone? Actually, for me one of the main things I'd like to accomplish would be to try to get at least a 19" front on there.

I'm definitely not looking to make a dirt-bike out of mine, but I would like to make it more all-around bike. I figure if I could get a couple of inches of ground clearance, a 19" front, and a little more suspension travel, I'd be thrilled.

I'm glad you found anything I said actually helpful, Nada De Lujo. Welcome to the cult of the SV. Careful with the customization, its addictive!

On skid plates, I have seen that some people have easily modified the DL650 skid plate, but I'm not sure which one from which manufacturer. It's definitely something that would need to be addressed with that exposed oil filter and header pipe.

On crash bars, there are some by sw-motech, they call them "engine guards". There's really not much to them. I think I saw a set for 40 english pounds though, so the price is decent. Ok, they have them at http://www.adventuremotogear.com/j.m...uf&bike=Suzuki for $79

Here is a more stunter-style set of crashbars that actually look more crash-worthy. I wonder if the stunters know about the SV's front cylinder oil starvation problem during wheelies? Guess they have to learn quickly!

Price: $156 at http://www.revsperformance.com/renntec/engine_bars.htm

I think something like what Weber is doing with his Rally Twin would be the way to go, with a closely-integrated fallover cage and oversize gas tank. A person could probably take a crashed gas tank and cut out the sides and add "wings" that wrap down around to the lower point of the frame truss. with a reinforced bar at the leading edge, that would add fuel capacity and crash protection. It would add weight too, and you'd have to leave channels for air to get back to the intake, but it might be a doable solution. Of course, I really don't have any idea what would be involved, so I might REALLY just be talking out my ass here on this particular subject!

psychsurf screwed with this post 11-12-2007 at 08:25 PM
Old 11-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #12
demuire
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nada de lujo
I don't think I'd ever make it an enduro or a "dirt bike" (I already have a dirt bike!). But I WOULD like to outfit it so that when I'm touring and see a graded gravel road or a pot-holed backwoods Forest Service road, I don't have to pass it up wondering, "I wonder where THAT cool-looking road goes?"
I don't have a dirt bike (sadly), but that's EXACTLY what I want to do with my SV too. No full on 4WD tracks or big trail rides, just to be able to go most places without missing out on where the dirt roads take you...

psychsurf: I don't think SW-Motech make the bars for the later model SV, or at least I don't remember finding them. The second set of bars you posted look a little like the H&B ones. While they look like they cage the engine in quite nicely I'm not overly convinced that they would protect the bike as a whole much more than the frame sliders (aside from spreading the load a little better)... Of course, I could be completely wrong. I suppose after seeing the bars that are on my housemate's Wee, the SV ones just look like they don't stick out enough, and where they do stick out it is too low down and may actually make the bike more difficult to pick up when it falls over...
Old 11-13-2007, 01:21 AM   #13
cba191
wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer: 575
i rode to burning liberal with ricardo a couple years ago. he said that the tire is a supermoto specific rain tire. cool bike though.
cba191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #14
Red_Chili
Fresh Ground

Oddometer: 2,077
LOVE the yellow one every time I see it.
'97 KDX 220 for woods work
SMUGMUG COUPON RSKbiM6oytjtw, save some money and have a great online picture gallery!
Red_Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #15
NoahDL88
Vroom Vroom

Oddometer: 928
Where's the newer style modifides? If anyone has one of the newer ones i'd like to see it.