User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #16
psychsurf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Yeah they have, it's called a DL650.

Seriously though, I think the reason is that the second-generation SV frame is just not as easy on the eyes as the curvy first-gen. Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, right?

Probably just that they're more expensive. Personally, I'd rather have the carbed version for exploring, too.
psychsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #17
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychsurf
Yeah they have, it's called a DL650.

Seriously though, I think the reason is that the second-generation SV frame is just not as easy on the eyes as the curvy first-gen. Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, right?

Probably just that they're more expensive. Personally, I'd rather have the carbed version for exploring, too.
LOL, yep here you go! This is pretty much all a 2nd gen SV would look like. And it's already got the 19" front wheel

Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #18
demuire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Hahaha, wotda! That's like a ThinStrom, except... different! I like it :)
demuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:48 AM   #19
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
I think it would be awesome to get my hands on a dirt tracker(supertracker) type frame for the sv650 motor. I've wanted one for awhile. Probably would work ok-ish offroad.

I wonder if a v-strom front wheel would fit, it might be too close to the radiator though. I've heard of adjustable triple clamps on dirt trackers as well. Some people have mentioned to me that the frame geometry is just all wrong on the sv for anything offroad. I wonder if that could be changed without cutting up the frame. Maybe adjustable triples would help. I know they fit r6 forks, and r6 forks can be made to fit on an sv. But I may be talking out my ass as well. I think they changed the radiator in 06 to a narrower radiator. Also it seems like a narrower/taller radiator could be made up by a custom radiator maker(they exist...think hot rod stuff). Something with a curve, tall and skinny would seem ideal to me. Maybe take some tubing and bend up a cage/front lower frame to protect the weak underbelly. Something that wrapped under the engine front to back would make a sturdy attachment point for skidplates/protection. But at that point it might be simpler to grab a frame that looks good, copy the geometry and weld something up. Everytime I look at a terramostro or some other converted street bike(a recent 900 hornet was especially nice) I think "why not an sv".

I get by ok on graded dirt roads and on fairly open two track. I don't go that fast but it will get through it. If its really rough I turn around anyway. Sand was a pita, but it is a street bike on street tires. Graded gravel is pretty fun, sliding sideways and throwing a cloud of dust in the air! I just want more grip offroad really. I guess my hopes for an offroad-sv revolves more around a flat track style dirt/gravel road burner than rough singletrack. I've heard of some light sv track bikes though.

I'd love to see this thread take off like the dual sport 500 thread but I think the frame and the engine setup is just too vulnerable the way they are stock. I always wonder about my oil filter. Maybe If I ever slam mine into a tree I'll build my own frame, if I have a welder, and a tubing bender, and some time, and some money, and.....

Heres a pic of a 2nd gen offroad. Not modified adv style though. I guess technically it is a road. I got lost...apologies for my ass being in the way of you looking at my bike.

lstzephyr screwed with this post 11-16-2007 at 02:10 AM
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:39 AM   #20
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,628
I used to own an SV and travelled a short way down this road too.

So, what do I know?

Forks: 41mm

2008 klr has 41mm forks
CRF 450 does too
KX250
XT600 forks are 41mm, but they taper down below upper triple
Possibly use tripleclamps and forks from DL 650/1000?

Ah, the CRF and the KX do NOT use 41mm forks. Depending on the year (of KX) they vary from 41mm to 48mm upside down type forks. (I believe the CRFs started with a 43mm upside down fork.) What may be happening is there being some confusion about the size of the steering head bearings, so that the triple clamps may bolt right up. There is surprising commonality between steering head bearing sets from one manufacturer to another. Another thing to watch when shopping for a donor is the length of the steering head itself. If the length is correct or almost the same you can shim them or a bearing supplier can substitute the bearings by way of inside and outside diameter with equaling size and pitch.

BTW. As to your list of possible donor forks, you might want to add the HD 1200R Sportster. It used a 41 mm right side up fork with a twin rotor braking system and spoke wheels. The forks were actually quite good, if limited in travel.

But, for a "dirt" bike of this size and weight a 41mm fork is too small and will give you too much front end flex. I'd look more toward a heavier duty front end, like maybe from a DRZ400 or a XR650R donor, including triple clamps.

I wonder if the stunters know about the SV's front cylinder oil starvation problem during wheelies? Guess they have to learn quickly!

Actually that problem was solved on the newer model SV's by relocating the oil pick up tube. It only affected the earlier models. Which leads me to my other .02 point. I would suggest staying with the earlier models because of the carb vs FI. For this application I think having carbs gives you more flexibility and has less electronic junk that can get in the way of your goal. FI and all the computer stuff seems to me to limit your options. Plus, the tubular frame looks so much better than the cast one. The only other thing to watch out for with the earler SVs is the cam chain tensioner. Some of the early bikes had problems with them, so watch out for this if shopping for a donor bike.

Good luck. In the end I gave up due to limited funds and tools and just bought a strom. But, truthfully, I think the SV is a better bike.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #21
psychsurf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got a response back from Amazing Ricardo! He's just back from baja, but I invited him to come and share what he knows on this thread when he gets free. Hopefully that will be plenty educational!

Meanwhile, here is a thread with some photos with him and his bajazuki in baja, of all places.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285311

Here are some threads he sent me the links to. Evidently he documented some of the buildup on labusas.org. Some of the photos are dead there, but I'll poach what I can to post here. There's probably more on that forum, if anyone can figure out how to work their search function.

http://www.labusas.org/forum/showthr...hlight=project

Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 PM   #22
psychsurf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm just going to pull a couple of pics and some pertinent quotes from the other site. Ricardo, just let me know if you'd rather I didn't cut and paste this way, I can edit if you want me to.

Quote:
...first for you doubters...

it's not perfect.... there gloat... now get over it...

she's so fukin' close, i will piss on your graves...

i gave her a moderate test... some twisties... some fire roads and some nargly offroad shit...

first the bad parts....

i underestimated the rear brakes and the sv master vs. the crf slave... i need a smaller master cylinder and some ss lines...

second, the rake is so sharp, and the trail cut to the minimum, and the weight so jacked toards the front.. the bike needs a steering stabilizer at about 75~85 mph

now the good parts....

i've been to the edge of the front tire and carved of some boogers..
she tracks straight and true up to 75 or so..

the front forks and springs are perfect, so is the ride height, and the CG...

i stand on semi-tippy toes at a complete stop.. but the bike feels lower than my husky moto...

i railed pavement and some fireroads...
she handles great.. ass end hanging out on fire roads is still very cool... the 17's are a lil squirly in DEEP sand or gravel... especially with the forward weight bias... i knew this, and i can put a 21 on if i need it..

but it rides like an old bultaco... don't close the throttle.. she tracks great on the gas..

issues..

softer spring in the rear..

dirt type foot pegs..

lower the gearing even more..

a steering stabilizer, or different offset in the forks...
this will be a tuning issue...

i love the "citizen" look and quiet sound of the bike... i'm fukin' invisible to cops... i passed a couple at speed today.. and they didn't even give me a second look...

i'm reconsidering 80 hp...
80 hp will be almost unusable offroad....

for you doubters... bring your shit out here, and i'll race you...
everything from a full street racer to a total offroader, from a major mfr..

..or anything in between... you got cash.. i'll race ya

she's that good...

this....

........is gunna be fun.............
So that sounds promising!

He mentions needing a different offset in the forks or a steering stabililzer... Pardon my obvious noob-ness here, but is there any reason I person couldn't just rotate the forks in the clamps by 180 degrees to put the axle behind the forks and increase the trail?

Nicely fabbed up skid plate, and looks like off the rack crash bars.

Quote:
in the beginning i'm using crf 450 forks and shox.. ohlins front.. penske rear... so the travel will be 'zactly the same. i've guessed at spring rates, so we'll set sag after we weigh and ride her...

i'm starting off with an overall gearing to achieve abouta buck on the road... one of the reasons i went with the 450 wheel set-up is i have every fuking gear made for a 450...
Crf-450 rear wheel too? Wonder how much machining is involved there?

I'm really liking this project, Amazing Ricardo! You've been selfish keeping it all to yourself at labusa! Nice to be able to see the process to some extent, see how it evolves and comes together. Maybe you should build a kit or something.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:31 AM   #23
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
hmmm....seems I may just be wrong. Of course that never happens...

Backwards forks sounds scary/wrong but I don't know why exactly. it might work but I doubt it. Seems to me it would make it worse instead of better. Or not center at all. I'm guessing though, I don't remember enough frame geometry stuff. I do remember choppers sometimes use offset triples to get the trail/geometry in line, but the triples were only half the issue I think.

Very cool all the same.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #24
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
LOL, yep here you go! This is pretty much all a 2nd gen SV would look like. And it's already got the 19" front wheel

BlueLighting

Being you have experience with both SV's and DL 650's, any chance you could tell us what parts it took to this transform this bike

Thanks

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #25
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw4x4van
BlueLighting

Being you have experience with both SV's and DL 650's, any chance you could tell us what parts it took to this transform this bike

Thanks
That's not my DL. I just had the pictures to it. My vstrom is just normal. My comment was that I don't really see the benefit of doing it to the 2nd gen SV as the DL is already half way there if you just add better front suspension and drop the fairings for some weight.

That is a very clean example of one though.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:47 PM   #26
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
That's not my DL. I just had the pictures to it. My vstrom is just normal. My comment was that I don't really see the benefit of doing it to the 2nd gen SV as the DL is already half way there if you just add better front suspension and drop the fairings for some weight.

That is a very clean example of one though.
Thanks Blue.......

If you find anything more on this bike let us know

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #27
Delta88
Knurly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Not an SV - wanna' see anyway?

This type of conversion, (SV and DL), sure is gaining traction, isn't it? I have a box full of take-off parts from mine that has to weigh at least 25 lbs.

This is my current project DL. Very similar to others I've seen since starting. It was facilitated by a low speed high-side on the freeway last December which destroyed most of the Tupperware and attendant bracketry.

The headlight is from a GS500 but I have an SV unit that I will install shortly. The mounting ears and brackets are from a GS1100G and I got them off of ebay for cheap. The brackets don't fit between the triples perfectly and the rubber donuts had to be carved a bit. I think SV parts would work nicely here but I wasn't finding any for what I wanted to pay.

The signals are Buell units - $6.00 each from my local H-D Shop. These pics are a few months old and I have since fabbed a mount for the original gauges and installed a license frame that has a little LED strip across the top for a tag light. I ended up putting the factory rack back on after painting it black. I think the tail end actually looks better with it than w/o.

Delta88 screwed with this post 12-21-2007 at 12:43 PM
Delta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #28
Vespa
n00b

Oddometer: 5
SV650 racing Enduro

Hi guys, converting SV650 to offroad is great idea, I once owned stock S, then switched to DR-Z, great bike and fun, but i really miss the SV engine.

Anyway, take look how some guy from Czech rep. dealth with it:
He even rode Erzberg königklasse on it and ended up abut 30th..? Not sure, but not bad performance, when the oponets were KTM LC8s and BMW HP2s.
What do you think?

Vespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #29
Aceldama
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Wow, that is badass...

I'd love to do that to my '99 SV
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #30
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceldama
Wow, that is badass...

I'd love to do that to my '99 SV
+1, you got any more info on what Forks, Swingarm, shock, wheels, gas tank, etc is being used on that bike!!