User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2007, 05:57 AM   #1
PG007 OP
AKA backdoorphil

Oddometer: 322
Wicked Brake Cleaner Substitute

Anyone have any recommendations for a spray brake cleaner substitute? (elec contact cleaner, carb cleaner etc...)

Can't find brake cleaner in farmland, Thailand.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
Yad
yet another dave

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorphil
Anyone have any recommendations for a spray brake cleaner substitute? (elec contact cleaner, carb cleaner etc...)

Can't find brake cleaner in farmland, Thailand.
the two that you mentioned should work, especially contact cleaner - might even be the same thing as brake cleaner. Of course for the friction surfaces you want a degreaser that does not leave a residue, but for the calipers and lines it matters a bit less. Alcohol should also work (methanol, ethanol or isopropanol, denatured or otherwise). It's nice to be able to spray, can you get those cannisters that you sill and pressurize with a bicycle pump?
Yad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:13 AM   #3
PG007 OP
AKA backdoorphil

alcohol

thx yad, i like the alcohol idea.

ill look for some manual pressurizing sprays in the local farm hardware store.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,221
I worked at a place back in the early 80's when the EPA first started regulating stuff, and the shop got this brake cleaner machine which was basically a spray cleaner head (looks like a sandblaser head but made for liquid, it used compressed air) and the manufacturer (think it was a snap on machine but don't remember) just said to use laundry soap in it. It did a really good job cleaning, of course it wouldn't dry immediately like brake cleaner did but other than that it worked really well.

Somewhat like this:

I bet it would work on engines and other stuff equally well.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
PG007 OP
AKA backdoorphil

looks llike a useful piece of kit

looks like a very useful cleaning tool....ive made a similar thing with a fish tank pump to recirculate kerosene for chain cleaning. Use a paint roller tray for the collection under the chain with the fish tank pump in the paint tray.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,359
I use Stoddard Solvent in a Sureshot sprayer,not as toxic as the old brake cleaners,air drys to oil free finish.Are you cleaning brakes,or using it for other purposes?.I actually don't use the brake cleaner much for cleaning brakes,but to quickly wash down small parts.For cleaning brakes use hot water and a parts cleaning brush,finish with a quick shot of the Stoddard Solvent.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 PM   #7
G-Force Junkie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
Anything that will cut oil ought to work. Can you get Laquer thinner, MEK, or Acetone? Try a paint store.
G-Force Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:06 AM   #8
PG007 OP
AKA backdoorphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
Anything that will cut oil ought to work. Can you get Laquer thinner, MEK, or Acetone? Try a paint store.
i'm concerned about damaging the brake piston o ring seals....thats why i'm being careful with what i use
Old 11-14-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
PG007 OP
AKA backdoorphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu
I use Stoddard Solvent in a Sureshot sprayer,not as toxic as the old brake cleaners,air drys to oil free finish.Are you cleaning brakes,or using it for other purposes?.I actually don't use the brake cleaner much for cleaning brakes,but to quickly wash down small parts.For cleaning brakes use hot water and a parts cleaning brush,finish with a quick shot of the Stoddard Solvent.
its for cleaning the brake pistons & seals
Old 11-14-2007, 07:50 AM   #10
Oilybimmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
I paint things industrlal and some of the thinner/equipment cleaner we use (nasty stuff, toluene/xylene mix) actually comes from Germany labelled as brake cleaner, its made by the same company that supplies the original BMW puncture kits too!, I keep some for degreasing new auto discs and clutch friction components, works a treat but I would keep it away from anything plastic or rubber. at home if nothing else is available then kerosene or petrol (ok Gas to you blokes) on a rag will clean greasy fingermarks from pads/discs, I just try not to smoke when doing this part of the job
Stewart
Oilybimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #11
braindead0
Head Fisherman

Oddometer: 585
Make sure the contact cleaner doesn't have teflon! I've got a can of that here (I use for cleaning switches and contacts).

I'd think that carb cleaner is the best bet, there are lots of rubber bits on carbs too.

Acetone would be very safe to use as a brake cleaner (well, safe for the breaks... maybe not you ;-).

Rubbing alcahol would be good too.

Laquer thinner..
DoD #2223

braindead0 screwed with this post 11-14-2007 at 08:38 AM
braindead0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:42 AM   #12
braindead0
Head Fisherman

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilybimmer
I paint things industrlal and some of the thinner/equipment cleaner we use (nasty stuff, toluene/xylene mix) actually comes from Germany labelled as brake cleaner, its made by the same company that supplies the original BMW puncture kits too!, I keep some for degreasing new auto discs and clutch friction components, works a treat but I would keep it away from anything plastic or rubber. at home if nothing else is available then kerosene or petrol (ok Gas to you blokes) on a rag will clean greasy fingermarks from pads/discs, I just try not to smoke when doing this part of the job
Stewart
Kerosene? Not the U.S. kerosene (paraffin for the U.K. if I remember correctly) I'd think... if I'm not mistaken kerosene here is technically a very light oil.. not good for brake pads.

I think that kerosene in the U.K. is white gas (aka coleman stove fuel) here?

not sure if Oilybimmer is in the U.K.. no offense if not.. but the petrol name got me to thinking.. gudgeon pins and the like ;-)
DoD #2223

braindead0 screwed with this post 11-14-2007 at 08:47 AM
braindead0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #13
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorphil
its for cleaning the brake pistons & seals
Well don't use a hydrocarbon! Brake fluid is water soluble,so just wash the caliper and parts in hot water.Using brake cleaner on your piston seals will make them huge,and they won't fit anymore.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #14
Sucks2drive
Banned

Oddometer: 3,479
Try a drycleaners..... honest

Trichlorethylene Is fantastic stuff.... But DO NOT USE IN AN UNVENTILATED AREA OR YOU WILL DIE! Used by Dry Cleaners/ PCB Manufacturers anyone who has to Gegrease really...
Here.......

Synonyms: 1,1,2-trichloroethene, 1,1,2-Trichloroethylene, 1,1-Dichloro-2-chloroethylene, 1,2,2-Trichloroethylene, 1-Chloro-2,2-dichloroethylene, 1/C2HCl3/c3-1-2(4)5/h1, 4-01-00-00712 (Beilstein Handbook Reference), 52037-46-4, 79-01-6, Acetylene trichloride, AI3-00052, Algylen, Anamenth, Benzinol, Blacosolv, Blancosolv, BRN 1736782, c0009, C06790, Caswell No. 876, CCRIS 603, Cecolene, CHEBI:16602, Chlorilen, Chlorylea, Chorylen, CirCosolv, Crawhaspol, Dow-Tri, Dukeron, Per-A-Cl
or, Triad, Trial, TRI-Plus M, Vitran
, Chlorylen, Circosolv, Crawhaspol, Densinfluat, Dow-tri, Dukeron, EINECS 201-167-4, EPA Pesticide Chemical Code 081202, ethene, 1,1,2-trichloro-, Ethene, trichloro-, Ethinyl trichloride, Ethylene trichloride, Ethylene, trichloro-, F 1120, Fleck-flip, Flock FLIP, Fluate, Germalgene, HSDB 133, Lanadin, Lethurin, Narcogen, Narkosoid, NCI-C04546, Nialk, NSC 389, Perm-A-chlor, Petzinol, Philex, R 1120, RCRA waste no. U228, RCRA waste number U228, TCE, TCE (chlorohydrocarbon), Threthylen, Threthylene, Trethylene, Tri, Tri-clene, Tri-plus, Tri-plus M, Trial, Triasol, Trichlooretheen [Dutch], Trichloorethyleen, tri [Dutch], Trichloraethen [German], Trichloraethylen, tri [German], Trichloraethylenum, Trichloran, Trichloren, Trichlorethylene, Trichlorethylene, tri [French], Trichlorethylenum, Trichloroethene, Trichloroethylene, Trichloroethylene (IUPAC), Trichloroethylene [INN], Trichloroethylene [UN1710] [Poison], Trichloroethylenum [INN-Latin], triciene, Tricloretene [Italian], Tricloroetilene [DCIT], Tricloroetilene [Italian], Tricloroetileno [INN-Spanish], Trielene, Trielin, Trielina [Italian], Trieline, Triklone N, Trilen, Trilene, Trilene TE-141, Trimar, UN 1710, UN1710, Vestrol, Vitran, Westrosol

Martyn
Sucks2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:53 AM   #15
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynbiker
Trichlorethylene is fantastic stuff.... Used by Dry Cleaners/ PCB Manufacturers anyone who has to Gegrease really...
I use the Trichlorethylene, but typically a dry cleaners use Tetrachloroethylene (aka: Perchloroethylene or 'Perc' for short). Splitting hairs though really. Both do a great job degreasing metal. Some formulations of volatile spray cleaners still use Trichlorethylene. But many have switched to an alcohol base.

You might just be able to get some Perchloroethylene from a dry cleaner, or if not 'Perc', some other excellent volatile degreaser.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 01-12-2008 at 06:08 PM
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote