Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #1186
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc - Australia
... after cutting the oem ... i swapped once more to the cut part ... its nice... a direct & honest wind!
I too cut down my stock screen ('02 GSA), cut off about 4". The buffeting is still there but now at shoulder level - much more tolerable since it no longer jerks my helmet around - although a bit louder - thank god for earplugs.
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:46 AM   #1187
RTinNC
RT to GS in NC

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc - Australia
same here, after cutting the oem shield and then putting a normal one back on...

just yesterday i swapped once more to the cut part after 3 months riding the high windscreen...

its nice... a direct & honest wind!

guys, take care!

Hey .... just wondering ... what mirrors are those?

2006 R1200RT - Granite Gray
2012 R1200GSA - Magma Red!
RTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #1188
rkjjeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
another aeroflow review

hated the stocker, tried the med CalSci (liked it, but it's COLDER here now and I am old) so I took a chance on a tall aeroflow off ebay for about 30% of the price of a new one.

Got here a little dirty. Cleaned and polished it and made several trips for misc bracket mtg hardware. Went on no sweat (well,actually the longer bolts that go up into the oil cooler are hard to start with the screen bracket in place.

Went for a ride. Everyone that says its a different bike with this on is correct, and I like it. Could be 1 inch lower (I'm 6 ft 2 but 35 inseam). I find myself sitting up and stretching to see over it. Once cleaned up and on the bike it looks like new. Anybody want to trade the tall screen part for the med?

I don't think it looks QUITE like the popemobile. Big funky goofy screen on a big funky goofy bike.
rkjjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #1189
Marc - Australia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinNC
Hey .... just wondering ... what mirrors are those?

Hi there,
I bought them in Germany from Polo-Motorrad, or better, my parents did that for me as they live in Germany. They are distributed by MFW. I have seen them in catalogs here at local motorbike dealers in Brisbane but they where 110 AUS$. In Germany they are only 19Euro.

I had them back then on my XJR1300 and I always loved the great view to the back while being smaller then a lot of other mirrors.

So far I am not sure if I like it on the beema as much as I did back then... but it's definitely an improvement on the OEM mirrors.

It's not that easy to attach them to the handle bars of the GS because of the M12x80 bolts holding the handle-bar-end-weights. The mirrors 'expect' an M6 screw to a 'standard' handlebarweight.

I decided to drill a hole in to the head of the M12 bolt to cut a M6 thread into there. It worked out:

Sorry for all the pictures.

Marc - Australia screwed with this post 10-11-2009 at 02:47 PM
Marc - Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #1190
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,692
Tall BMW shield for GS

Previous is a nice looking motor.

Has anyone used the tall BMW shield?
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #1191
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,483
stock GS screen and cee baileys enhanced screen

bike: 2009 r1200gs se
helmet: arai xd3 w/ visor
me: 5'10, 31 in. inseam
ride: 350 mi. loop into the southern sierras from pasadena

prior to heading out on the above mentioned ride, i quickly came to the conclusion that the stock screen was simply not going to cut it. super noisy and lots of air blast, but to be honest, the helmet turbulence wasn't too bad. (low setting best for me). after doing much research on this site, my first aftermarket screen choice was a 18" Cee Baileys Enhanced screen. let me begin by saying that their customer service is #1 in my book, and they were able to deliver me the screen in a matter of days and in time for my ride. installation was very easy, took only a matter of minutes, although it was a tad difficult to work with it given it's tight fit and stiffness. i found having to move the screen up and down to be a downright chore, not easy. i put the screen in the low setting to start. as for performance, it does a great job protecting the torso and neck area from wind, and never once did i feel warm/hot. it wasn't too noisy. what i didn't find acceptable was the amount of turbulence around the helmet, so up a notch the screen went. rode about 10miles at 75mph in absolute misery....could hardly see straight! back down it went for the better part of the ride. other riders in my group who wanted to test-ride my bike also said that the buffeting was just too much for them, arguably, they were a little taller than i, but they didn't care for how it felt (they ride multistradas whose windscreens really don't come into play as they're so low). nearing home i put the screen all the way up and it seemed to almost eradicate the noise levels but all that did was concentrate the turbulence to upper portion of my helmet, better but not all that great. between the two i'd rather have the stock one on at a low setting and accept any windblast but forgo the helmet turbulence.

my second aftermarket screen choice? a ZTechnik VStream Windscreen which I purchased from my dealer. Today will be the first i ride with it on the bike, and if it works, i'll keep it on for this weekend's big ride.

will report back later, perhaps i'll move this to some other comparo thread.

see ya
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #1192
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

so far i like the ZTechnik VStream best

rode down to Brown Motorworks for my 600mi service today, 25 miles, all freeway. some thoughts:

-great clarity
-turbulence is no longer there....yes!
-blurred vision is no longer...yes!
-wind noise has increased (yes, i wear earplugs)
-vibrates more than my cee baileys did.

i rode home on a F650GS loaner (thanks Ron Tate!) which has a smallish windscreen and the wind noise was no less, no more than when riding the R1200GS.

i'll take this setup over the Cee Baileys screen for the time being. much better for this rider.

see ya
Old 10-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #1193
Doubleplay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO

+1 Anyone??????
Old 10-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #1194
mkletecka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286

prior to heading out on the above mentioned ride, i quickly came to the conclusion that the stock screen was simply not going to cut it. super noisy and lots of air blast, but to be honest, the helmet turbulence wasn't too bad. (low setting best for me). ................my second aftermarket screen choice? a ZTechnik VStream Windscreen which I purchased from my dealer. Today will be the first i ride with it on the bike, and if it works, i'll keep it on for this weekend's big ride.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________

THANKS for your review on the CeeBailey andI look forward to your feedback on the ZTechnik.

As for me, the stock screen on the "GS" works fine in its lowest setting (I use ear plugs as well, in addition I have no "major" buffeting issues). However, if "real" improvement exists with an aftermarket screen (without having to get a 3'x3' size screen) it would be nice. BTW, I happen to have a Shoei X Eleven, which I have been told helps alot with the windscreen, and that certain Helmets work better than others with the GS/GSA. However, I have no proof/varification to that.

KInd Regards:
Mike K.
Dana Point, CA.
mkletecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #1195
AKmud
Muddy Gruver

Oddometer: 936
I went with the CalSci tall this last week. Ordered it last Thursday and it came (to Alaska) on Monday. I put it on last night and was able to get out for a quick ride tonight. I have to say this has been the best money I have put into the bike thus far!! 80mph and I can still hear the engine and have minimal wind noise. I wear a Nolan N102 helmet and with the tall BMW windshield I would have a headache from the wind noise after an hour or two (I'm 6'4"). This screen is an excellent choice for the money and seems to be much more stable (doesn't vibrate) than the factory screen I replaced. I don't see how screens can be much better for twice the price!

AKmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #1196
AKmud
Muddy Gruver

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO

I have the "tall" BMW and just replaced it with the CalSci (see above post).

The BMW shield looks nice with all the fancy curves, but I was not impressed with the wind noise. Turbulence wasn't bad, but I had a LOT of wind noise for some reason.
AKmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #1197
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkletecka

prior to heading out on the above mentioned ride, i quickly came to the conclusion that the stock screen was simply not going to cut it. super noisy and lots of air blast, but to be honest, the helmet turbulence wasn't too bad. (low setting best for me). ................my second aftermarket screen choice? a ZTechnik VStream Windscreen which I purchased from my dealer. Today will be the first i ride with it on the bike, and if it works, i'll keep it on for this weekend's big ride.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________

THANKS for your review on the CeeBailey andI look forward to your feedback on the ZTechnik.

As for me, the stock screen on the "GS" works fine in its lowest setting (I use ear plugs as well, in addition I have no "major" buffeting issues). However, if "real" improvement exists with an aftermarket screen (without having to get a 3'x3' size screen) it would be nice. BTW, I happen to have a Shoei X Eleven, which I have been told helps alot with the windscreen, and that certain Helmets work better than others with the GS/GSA. However, I have no proof/varification to that.

KInd Regards:
Mike K.
Dana Point, CA.
route: 500 miles in 24 hours...up to 100mph+ max speeds
screen: ZTechnik VStream

result: :)

to summize: an acceptable amount of wind noise and turbulence was pretty much eradicated. we're talking about high mountain passes (hwy 33) and fast valley stretches (hwy 58)...zero complaints. i had the screen set to the second stop from the highest and i won't move it from there. i might give the stock screen a go-again but i think that the ZTechnik VStream works best for me.

regards,

Old 10-23-2009, 03:04 AM   #1198
mkletecka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Oalvarez:
Thanks for your response and feedback. In short, I’m getting the Ztechnick (BTW, your review/assessment of the original GS screen, parallels my experience with it as well). In closing, thanks again & enjoy your new nicely setup “white GS” (IMHO/possible best color for the GS).
Kind Regards:
Mike K.
Dana Point, CA
mkletecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #1199
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkletecka
Oalvarez:
Thanks for your response and feedback. In short, I’m getting the Ztechnick (BTW, your review/assessment of the original GS screen, parallels my experience with it as well). In closing, thanks again & enjoy your new nicely setup “white GS” (IMHO/possible best color for the GS).
Kind Regards:
Mike K.
Dana Point, CA
Thank you, Mike, appreciate the kind thoughts. By the way, as for the Cee Bailey, it's a beautiful piece of kit, well made and I loved its design. I noticed that the ZTechnik VStream is about two inches lower than the Cee Bailey (recommended size for my torso was 18") which makes me wonder if the shorter 16" Cee Bailey could have worked as well. I'm thru spending money on screens for the time being, but just wanted to be fair to that manufacturer as well.

Cee Bailey Enhanced 18x18 most likely going up for sale in the flea market.

See ya down in Laguna Beach some time.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #1200
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez
route: 500 miles in 24 hours...up to 100mph+ max speeds
screen: ZTechnik VStream

result: :)

to summize: an acceptable amount of wind noise and turbulence was pretty much eradicated. we're talking about high mountain passes (hwy 33) and fast valley stretches (hwy 58)...zero complaints. i had the screen set to the second stop from the highest and i won't move it from there. i might give the stock screen a go-again but i think that the ZTechnik VStream works best for me.
Life's full of YMMV things. I rode 33 and 58 (and Forest Hwy 95!) last weekend with my stock GSA screen in the lowest position and was happy as a clam. I fully expected to be in shopping mode from Day One but am doing just fine.

IMHO earplugs and a smooth-flowing helmet make a difference in satisfaction and perceived efficacy. My favorite helmet -- a HJC Sy-Max -- bobbles but my new Seven-Zero-Seven (Cycle Gear's house brand) runs cleanly when the face shield is fully closed. (But I still wear my Sy-Max ... the bobbling adds to the sensation of speed!!)

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote