Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2003, 05:20 PM   #136
NYCBlueKnight
LBD4DL

Oddometer: 262
Thumb CeeBaily Update 1/2/03 Reprint

Update 1/2/03
In fairness to CB i want to give an update: Steve contacted me and offered a refund, to rework mine or to make me a touring for the GS (nonGSA CB model). As I stated in my earlier post, I will give them another try as I like the looks. I was happy with my Ermax but could have used another +2 on the top and some width (no funny comments please - I'm talking about the screen)like the GSA. So, does anyone have some success with the CB touring for the GS? Since it will be adjustable like the stock, has anyone found +height and width measurements that work? Thank you.
NYCBlueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:00 PM   #137
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,235
Dunno, NYC. I have the largest ADV CB screen on my bike, and after a few days of solid riding, I agree with you. I'm 6', 32"inseam. The wide shield keeps the wind blast off of my body very nicely. But the top sends the wind too close to my helmet. It's noisier than my MRA Varioscreen by quite a bit, and I get quite a bit of buffeting on the freeway. It was the same with the shorter demo shield that made its way around this group. I do wish my screen was adjustable. I'm thinking about making new holes, so that I can make the screen a little more upright. Sadly, I'm a mechanical retard, and these things cost a lot of dosh.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:30 PM   #138
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Said wxwax:
Dunno, NYC. I have the largest ADV CB screen on my bike, and after a few days of solid riding, I agree with you. I'm 6', 32"inseam. The wide shield keeps the wind blast off of my body very nicely. But the top sends the wind too close to my helmet. It's noisier than my MRA Varioscreen by quite a bit, and I get quite a bit of buffeting on the freeway. It was the same with the shorter demo shield that made its way around this group. I do wish my screen was adjustable. I'm thinking about making new holes, so that I can make the screen a little more upright. Sadly, I'm a mechanical retard, and these things cost a lot of dosh.
You can drill plexi easily. You just gotta know how. High speed *sharp* bit is what you want so it doesnt hook the plexi and break it. some folks have used thin wood or tape to brace the area around the hole-site. Used to be that most replacement glass had no holes and you had to cut your own.

JCW has a thin brittle replacement shied for one of thier bikini fairing. 25 bucks. cheap way to experiment and get the hang of it before you try it for real.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:26 PM   #139
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Oddometer: 323
You all keep forgetting that wunderfull Wunderlich screen. Wide, nice looking, tall, adjustable and not too expensive (here in Europe at least). With these -10 C days I put the screen in the highest setting, but normally the screen stays on the "adventure" mode (lowest setting) which is comfortable enough to ride long 150+ km/h days if the headwind isn't too strong. Hardly any pull on the arms, the width is perfect. Noise is acceptable for me, not more than my previous MRA, definitely better than the stock BMW and the MDI screen.
Attached Images

www.motorisation.net
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 04:05 PM   #140
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,235
Quote:
Said Chopperman:
You can drill plexi easily. You just gotta know how. High speed *sharp* bit is what you want so it doesnt hook the plexi and break it. some folks have used thin wood or tape to brace the area around the hole-site. Used to be that most replacement glass had no holes and you had to cut your own.

JCW has a thin brittle replacement shied for one of thier bikini fairing. 25 bucks. cheap way to experiment and get the hang of it before you try it for real.
Thanks Chop.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 04:22 PM   #141
Augie
Nincompoop

Oddometer: 27,367
Quote:
Said Flying Dutchman:
You all keep forgetting that wunderfull Wunderlich screen. Wide, nice looking, tall, adjustable and not too expensive (here in Europe at least). With these -10 C days I put the screen in the highest setting, but normally the screen stays on the "adventure" mode (lowest setting) which is comfortable enough to ride long 150+ km/h days if the headwind isn't too strong. Hardly any pull on the arms, the width is perfect. Noise is acceptable for me, not more than my previous MRA, definitely better than the stock BMW and the MDI screen.
You know that the dirt on that looks suspicious to me.

Just like it was there for there for the hell of it. No clumps or splats of mud. Almost looks dry to me:):

Who you tryin to impress?

On the other hand nice face.
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 04:54 PM   #142
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Quote:
Said Jeffaugie:
You know that the dirt on that looks suspicious to me.
Just like it was there for there for the hell of it. No clumps or splats of mud. Almost looks dry to me:):
On the other hand nice face.
That's my GS impression ...

The dirt's not mud (yet at that time), it's dry sand. I was riding a road under construction with a girlfriend in front of me, she was riding her R1100S... She was trying to impress the rest of the group by making a "burnout" in the sand, but didn't realise she was spraying a fountain of sand in my direction.

That's why that sand was sprayed in such a particular matter over the grill and screen (and in my boots )....
Attached Images

www.motorisation.net
Old 01-10-2003, 07:05 AM   #143
Airtire
Major Spammer //////

Oddometer: 104
Cee Bailey Touring +8

Here is a picture of the GS Touring +8" over stock and 4" wider from Cee Bailey. Bolts right to the stock GS adjustable mount.

Cee Baileys BMW Page
Airtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 07:15 AM   #144
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Hmmm... that screen looks suspicously alot like the Wunderlich screen, only taller....
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2003, 07:39 AM   #145
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
Hey Airtire...I like the look of that Cee Baileys screen. Can you give some more info please. How high is it?... will you measure from the ignition key slot up to the top of the screen for me. How is the buffeting behind that one? Does it flex at highway speeds? how much does it cost? Thanks.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 07:45 AM   #146
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Sherpa, he put a link right below the pics to the site where you can find all the info (and the same pics). The screen (I think identical to the Wunderlich) is standard 4" higher than the stock GS screen (and 4" wider) and also adjustable. The one displayed is 8" higher than stock. Prices are on the site as well.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmw1150gsel.html
www.motorisation.net
Old 01-10-2003, 02:46 PM   #147
sherpa
...Robert

Thanks Flying Dutchman...the website told me how much it cost. The " 8 taller than stock" doesn't tell me much though... I got rid of my stock screen a long time ago, so I have nothing to compare it to.. I want to compare it to my Aeroflow, that is why I need a measurement off the bike. The tall Aeroflow measures 19 3/4 inches high off the ignition key slot. While I am at it how about the same measurement on your Wunderlich Touring screen too. Thanks.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

Old 01-14-2003, 06:57 PM   #148
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Sherpa,

Measured from the middle of the ignition key slot up to the top of the screen with the Wunderlich screen in the lowest setting (which is straight up from the slot): 36 cm.

Measured from the middle of the ignition key slot to the top of the screen with the Wunderlich screen in highest setting (which is up and forward of the slot): 43.5 cm.

Measured from the middle of the ignition key slot in a vertical direction straight up to the approximate same height as the top of the screen with the screen in the highest setting: ca. 41 cm.

Interpolate for the medium setting of course.

No flip up, good amount of flow available under the screen when in the lowest setting.

I bought this screen knowing it was the tallest and widest at that time. I found out I liked it most in the lowest setting though. Helmet is in relative smooth air (not as much as pure clean blast of course) while the rest of the body and upper arms are out of the wind. I think the CeeBailyes +8 would therefor not be good for me, when in the lowest setting. I think that would direct the turbulance layer (border between the clean and turbulent air) right at my eyes / ears. However with the 8+ in the highest setting I guess the Goldwing effect might be bigger compared to the Wunderlich. It all depends on your priorities of course...

New screen if you prefer the Goldwing approach:

www.motorisation.net
Old 01-14-2003, 07:37 PM   #149
Airtire
Major Spammer //////

Oddometer: 104
That ZTechnic looks interesting.....if someone happens to try it out and it works let us know.

We'll make one...a better one of course.
Airtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:09 PM   #150
sherpa
...Robert

Thanks for the measurements Flying Dutchman. I am going to have to give either the Wunderlich Touring or the Cee Baileys a try. I measured my Aeroflow for comparison sake and it measures 50 cm up and to the rear from the key slot. That Ztechnik screen is pretty ugly to my eye. Thanks, sherpa

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW