Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2003, 02:10 PM   #226
Red Bull
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
OK, I could not tell by the repsonce. it sounded like something very different. Actually I'm looking to add the Adventure (new twin 960) for more off-road, have youhad the chance to ride this (Still new in the USA)?

John@MyHomeWebSite.com
'97 BMW R1100 GSA "RED BULL" - Sonoma, CA
'Where ever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Bonzai
Red Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 02:21 PM   #227
Kai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Said Red Bull:
OK, I could not tell by the repsonce. it sounded like something very different. Actually I'm looking to add the Adventure (new twin 960) for more off-road, have youhad the chance to ride this (Still new in the USA)?
Er ... umhhh The KTM LC8 or the GS ADV ???
The ADV is to high for me, I'm less than 6 feet and shaped like an ape - long arms- short legs ;-) - so it's not for me.
I got me an Öhlins setup, which is even better than the ADV dampers :-)
As for the KTM - great Off-Roader, but less All-Rounder. But I haven't ridden it ... yet .....

As for the ducatis :-)
I love ridin' a buddies 998 !!!
but it's to expensive for a second bike ....

Gee I had to much red wine ;-) g'd night !

And I have to get that signature fixed ... damn .....
And one day, I'll take her to the US !!
But by then I'll have the new one .....

Kai screwed with this post 06-10-2003 at 02:27 PM
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 02:32 PM   #228
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Said Kai:
Er ... umhhh The KTM LC8 or the GS ADV ???
New twin 960, I think he meant the Ducati Multistrada... Ducati's attempt at making an allroad, and apparently a good one reading the review (although it wasn't allowed on any dirtroad during the press testrides and came with a bag with polishing tools). So no GS, but a very powerfull rival for the V Strom, Varadero, Caponorde and for people who don't use the GS off road (which I think is probably the majority). Of course no shaft, no ABS.. but sound, looks (although not for me), power, prestige, comfort and excellent handling (according to what I read). Life is all about priorities...
www.motorisation.net
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:54 PM   #229
Kai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Multistrada ...

Oh that one !

well , I love the 916 / 998, but the multistrada I think is quite ugly!
I have sat on her on a fair, seen her in the read view mirror twice ... ;-))
german reviews say, she's fast but very uncomfy, not goin' a good line around turns ... dampers sporty ... too sporty. seat a torture ...
No, not for me ...
Especially, if you put bags on her ....
Loaded, you can't beat a GS, trust me!

Good night (it's way past midnight ...)

Kai
Old 06-11-2003, 12:31 PM   #230
SuperBee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Re: windscreens

What's all the hub-bub about windscreens?? hell, I took mine off the very next day after purchasing my '03 gsa. Too much buffeting at speed, and the bike looks much less like some old fart bike. I did, however put the stealth edging by saeng around the numberplate. I absolutely love it.

P.S. "windscreens?......windscreens?........we don't need no stinking windscreens!!!

Cheers
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 03:56 AM   #231
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,686
How much wind could a windshield shield if a windshield could shield wind?

Some fluid observations about our windshields.

As you move through the air, you are 'tunneling' through it. Do you see that visual? And if you are moving through still air, the tunnel created by your windshield, travels backwards, towards and around you in a straight line. Is that a clear picture?

Ok. The size of the 'hole in the air' from the shield, as is goes by your head and upper body, is only marginally wider than your helmet, and much narrower than your shoulders. The tunnel has a height of course. And the height of this tunnel is somewhat of an issue, but a far lesser one.

You see, bumping your head into the 'moving ceiling' of the tunnel has one effect. And sliding it along the side wall has another.

Two significant differences are: Running your head along the tunnel ceiling does not create steering input. While running your head along the tunnel side wall does a couple of things. It both creates a twisting input, and air is forced into a reduction point. What?

That point is the right angle formed by the intersection of the side of your helmet and the top edge of your shoulder. A turbulent and noisy nexus. Being on only one side of your head makes it worse.

But lets get back to tunneling through still air. With no prevailing wind this 'hole' or 'tunnel of air' will halo your helmet, and hit you just about in the shoulder joint. Not too bad really.

Adding a slight side component to the prevailing wind (relative to your direction) offsets the edge of this 'tunnel' into your helmet. You follow this? If you see it like a tunnel, it really is like you are scraping your head on the side of the tunnel wall. This moves your head a bit, and is a little louder. Wider helmets will do this more.

As the side component to the prevailing wind increases, eventually the 'edge of the tunnel' is bisecting your helmet. And that is a negatively stable condition. Like a marble placed on top of an overturned salad bowl. The 'edge of the tunnel' cannot actually remain at the halfway point. And instead will first take the path around one side of your head, then switch to the other. The distance your head moves back and forth as this happens is amplified, because the muscles in your neck add a spring into the equation. This is the buffeting you feel.

Then there is the 'tunnel edge' bisecting your shoulder joint. Or rather, running in still air bisecting both shoulder joints equally. But, hit your shoulder into the 'tunnel wall' moving by and your upper body gets twisted in that direction. And the force is applied through the furthest point from you torso axis. So it can twist you pretty good. I hope you are seeing this visual.

Both of these effects are greatly diminished if you are running without a screen, or on a bike with a very low screen. Your head will not be running into the side of the tunnel, and so does not buffet. And, the crosswind loses most of its twisting action. It will of course push your upper body, but it cannot twist you very well. Not nearly as well as it could when it had you by one sleeve.

So if the shield was wider at your shoulders, a great improvement could be had.

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 04:16 AM   #232
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Said Poolside:

Blah, blah, blah etc...

So if the shield was wider at your shoulders, a great improvement could be had.

- Jim
Hence the Wunderlich, wider across the whole range. Keeps the shoulders / upper arms more out of the wind. Buffeting still present, although less because there is no flip up. Buffeting in this case caused by air still in a laminar state over the screen, crashing into still air behind the screen, turning it into a turbulent state. For some appliances this can be beneficial. The spoiler on the back of most helmets is there to turn the laminar flow into a turbulent one. This is because a laminar flow will turn turbulent in a very violent way (stalling) behind your helmet, creating noise and discomfort. The spoiler spoils the laminar flow earlier than it would normally do. Hence the switch from laminar to turbulent flow will be less voilent. Since a turbulent airflow will seperate later from a surface (it is "stickier") than a laminar one, this should also cause it to remain on the back of the helmet longer, reducing noise, increasing comfort.

Most noise though in my experience is from the helmet openings below your ears and the air that thunders by that point (the boundary layer is near that point for me with screen at lowest setting). The higher the screen, the higher but also more voilent the boundary layer. Life is all about priorities...

www.motorisation.net
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:11 PM   #233
CCRyder
Champ

Oddometer: 1,717
Since it is summertime in the good ole' southeast USA, I thought I'd try my Vario screen again, thinking that a little more wind might feel good.... and compare it again against my "beautiful" Parabellum( you remember it, the one everyone gave such rave "cosmetic" reviews about). Anyway, I'm glad I did, because it reminded me of how much I disliked the wind beating me up, and howling in my ears. The Parabellum is a great shield, the Vario sucks. The Parabellum will go back on and stay. I did find it amusing that there was so much strong, negative feedback as to the looks of it. Whatever it may be lacking in looks(according to the opinion of several), it makes up for in function. And since I seem to be the only person alive that doesn't think it is "ooogly", I guess I am assured of always "standing out " in a crowd of GS 's.
:getdown and .............. I think I like it.:):

2002 KTM 520 E/XC
2011 BMW R1200 GSA

CCRyder screwed with this post 07-05-2003 at 01:34 AM
CCRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 07:18 PM   #234
Froggy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Said Poolside:
- Jim
I couldn't put it as well as you did but I have come to the same conclusion. Either you go with no screan or you go with the biggest widdest tallest one you can get you hands on ... and than you better of driving a convertible!

Marc.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 04:48 PM   #235
FUBAR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I'm a new guy around here, so pardon my ignorance. But I'm wondering if going with less screen is the ticket. I owned a GS about 7 years ago, and do not recall the buffeting I'm going through with this new bike. I'm still in the break-in phase of a new ADV, and put on about 350 miles on the Saturday. A mix of ridding, but with a few long stints on the highway. My neck is still sore. I'm about 5'-11'' and my head sits right in the turbulence zone. I can stand up at speed, and everything is silky smooth. Has anyone tried cutting down the ADV screen? Making it shorter?
FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 07:15 AM   #236
Tobers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Reducing buffeting

If you dont want to spend much money and want to retain your current screen, you could always get one of these:

www.stopthebuffeting.com
Tobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 03:00 PM   #237
FUBAR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I didn't think about that. That is a pretty trick solution. Although, according to his website, he doesn't have a model for the Adventure. I'll shoot him a note, maybe he is close to having something.

Thanks!
FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:26 PM   #238
RTinNC
RT to GS in NC

Oddometer: 1,003
Re: Reducing buffeting

Quote:
Said Tobers:
If you dont want to spend much money and want to retain your current screen, you could always get one of these:

www.stopthebuffeting.com
WOW that is exactly what I have been looking for! I have thought that some of "my" problem was related to the screen being so far from the rider .... this would solve that ! !

2006 R1200RT - Granite Gray
2012 R1200GSA - Magma Red!
RTinNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 06:58 PM   #239
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
Quote:
Said FUBAR:
I didn't think about that. That is a pretty trick solution. Although, according to his website, he doesn't have a model for the Adventure. I'll shoot him a note, maybe he is close to having something.

Thanks!
tobers is the originator of the tobinator. there are a few post about them over on the UKGS'er site. seems to offer quite a bit of flexability in terms of adjustments. hell, atleast you'll have a lot of excuses to ride, trying out the endless possibilities and you may find a combination that works for you.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 09:58 PM   #240
Red Bull
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Ohhh I got to have this gadget do this automatic "flippy thing" when I'm riding next to a Porsche and tails "flips" up and down. (Kidding aside, it's a great simple enhancement! )

John@MyHomeWebSite.com
'97 BMW R1100 GSA "RED BULL" - Sonoma, CA
'Where ever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Bonzai
Red Bull is offline   Reply With Quote