Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2003, 01:11 PM   #241
Tobers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Adventure model

Hi gents,

I'm working on the design for an Adventure version at the moment. Its a bit tricky as the bloody mounting bracket thingy for the Adventure screen does not have parallel mounting points o. As a result, the standard Tobinator will not adjust backwards & forwards as the two sides of the screen will be moving at angles to each other.

So, work is underway to design a mounting plate to go on the screen and the bike-side mounting points which provides a parallel do-dah. Then the Tobinator risers will fit and adjust.

However the added width of the plates will mean that the bottom of the screen will be bent out to fit, which isn't good.

As a result, the Tobinator risers will have to be kinky (!) to remove the offset induced by the mounting plates.

As I said, its a bit tricky. I'll post up here once I'm getting somewhere.

Cheers

Tobers
Tobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 11:57 PM   #242
Marco Prozzo
Off the Grid&Outa'the Box

Oddometer: 82
Thumb

Ciaody Boys and Girls - First off, what a damn fine FAQ JimO! Great idea too. I'm a simple kind of fellow when it comes to this web stuff sometimes and just couldn't seem to find where to add comments to the FAQ, so perhaps it's here on the thread. Anyway, just to add some more pennies to the pot: I've had two oilhead GS's over six years and have used six different screens between the two. At 5'11" with a 33" inseam the stock screens on both bikes give me neck pain by the end of a long day in the saddle being tossed about like one of those bobbing hula girl ornaments in the back window of a car. Tank panniers definitely help, especially on the stock 11GS (less so on my 1150 for some reason). On the 11GS The Standard Aeroflow was like a barn door for me. Problem was it looked a lot like a barn door too! Still, it kept the wind off everything but the tip of my hat, and kept me pretty dry in the rain to boot (we're talking Seattle rain:seattle, and not torrential downpours). The Givi for the same bike (taller and narrower than stock) was not much better than stock, and did not do the trick for me. One of the very best solutions on both bikes is no screen at all. OK, it's noisier/windier, but the flow is VERY smooth and there is no buffetting whatsoever. The only reason I don't use it that way is it seems more fatiguing in the long-haul than a wide-coverage screen. But for shorter rides it is my personal pick. On the 1150 I also tried the Wunderlich. It was an improvement over stock, but like the Givi on the 1100, not big enough to make me reccomend it to anyone. I do like my current solution which is the stock Adventurer Screen on my 1150GS. There is still air moving around most of my helmet, but it is a smooth rush of air and no buffetting for me.
(206)467-9696
Photography Website
Marco Prozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 08:00 PM   #243
GSXplorer

Oddometer: 136
link to my screen solution

I thought I would add this to the list of alternatives.
This has been working out great for me for the last few weeks and costs nothing but a bit of your time.
Pic shows how much more room there is for air to flow behind the screen.
Attached Images

GSXplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 02:24 PM   #244
Hammerit
Da Ugly Duck

Oddometer: 72
For whatever it's worth...

I'm new here (and I don't mean to spam by any means) but I'm a newbie GS owner and I own a fairing and screen factory - www.hammerit.net in South Africa. We concentrate mainly on superbike stuff. I just bought my first GS 2 weeks ago, so from a vendor's / GS rider's perspective I might be able assist forum members, GS owners' persuit after a better screen for the GS. Just a thought... Lemme know if you want me to get involved here. If not, I'll stay out of this thread.

Ride Safe,
Pierre Martins.
www.hammerit.net
Hammerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 10:49 PM   #245
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,937
Quote:
Said Razorbak:
Pierre, feel free to start a thread in the Vendor Forum and go for it!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forum...?s=&forumid=18
Excellent, Razor, that's the way to do it.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 10:51 PM   #246
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,937
Quote:
Said Marco Prozzo:
I do like my current solution which is the stock Adventurer Screen on my 1150GS. There is still air moving around most of my helmet, but it is a smooth rush of air and no buffetting for me.
MArco, thanks for the tip, I'll try that. Maybe it will be better than the MRA, which has been my best screen so far.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 12:08 PM   #247
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Hey folks- thought I'd post some pics of the Naca insert I'm trying. I have the Z-Technic and it's been an acceptable solution for me- but the heat of summer requires a little more airflo to stay cool- so I bought the med. naca duct and dropped it into the stock screen. First attempt was in the middle setting- and it was better than stock, but not acceptable to me. I dropped it down to the low setting last night and I got a smooth helmet and good airflow across my chest and through my mesh jacket. I'm pretty happy- especially considered the cost and time spent.
Attached Images

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 02:01 PM   #248
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,835
wunderlich

I installed the WUNDERLICH screen on my 00 GS. In the lowest position my stock handguards hit the screen at full lock. Would it seem reasonable to think that this would be worked out before it is put into mass production? Anyway, Im keeping sceen in middle position to CURE this anoyance. Im contemplating polishing the top edge of the screen to make it less visable in my field of vison.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 02:58 PM   #249
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Re: wunderlich

Quote:
Said bemiiten:
I installed the WUNDERLICH screen on my 00 GS. In the lowest position my stock handguards hit the screen at full lock. Would it seem reasonable to think that this would be worked out before it is put into mass production? Anyway, Im keeping sceen in middle position to CURE this anoyance. Im contemplating polishing the top edge of the screen to make it less visable in my field of vison.
Which Wunderlich screen? Their "Touring" screen? If so, I ran one for a while and the handguards just barely touched at full lock. In other words, a complete non-issue. Your bars are probably rotated a bit further forward than stock.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:22 PM   #250
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Yes i do have the TOURING screen. I have the bars as far back as they will go. Its not a issue while riding, but it is a anoyance manuvering the bike out of the garage or locking the steering. The contact is minimal, But if in a perfect world, all those german engineers woud graduate from COMMON SENCE U.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:54 PM   #251
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Said bemiiten:
Yes i do have the TOURING screen. I have the bars as far back as they will go. Its not a issue while riding, but it is a anoyance manuvering the bike out of the garage or locking the steering. The contact is minimal, But if in a perfect world, all those german engineers woud graduate from COMMON SENCE U.
My current ZTechnik screen does the same thing. Again, if it's minimal, then don't worry about it.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:12 PM   #252
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oh im not too worried about the windscreen, I am worried about those guys putting on some elecro stoppers on the GS before they add the extra 25ct taillight bulb.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:10 AM   #253
ranchonodinero
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Question Stretching the aeroflow?

I added an aeroflow screen to my bike about 2 weeks ago. It is a vast improvement over my stock Adventure screen, but it needs to be a little taller. I still have buffeting, but at a higher frequency. The stream of air is hitting the helmet at the top of the helmet. I am 6'3". Has anyone tried adding anything to their aeroflow screen in order to effectively make it taller? I've been considering adding "stealth" edging, but didn't want to do it until I heard from the list. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Marty
04 Adventure
Aledo, Texas
ranchonodinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 12:17 PM   #254
Lashito
Wanderlusterer

Oddometer: 53
I've got an ADV with tall Aeroflow, which is night and day better than stock for me. 6 ft tall, but sometimes use a AirHawk cushion (which helps the old ass). Still getting buffeting, and I agree with whoever said that the screen is too far forward.

Thinking about using the Saeng edging on my aeroflow, but don't want to spend the cash if it won't help. I would also like to know if anyone has used the Saeng Stealth Edging with an Aeroflow?

Cheers...
Lashito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 05:01 PM   #255
ranchonodinero
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Thumb laminar lip

I called Saeng-very nice folks and I was tempted to buy a section of their edging, but instead, I ordered a laminar lip. The lip is a peice of windshield that velcros into place. I was told my a local rider that it really works well with the aeroflow screens. I'll let you know the results.

Marty
04 Adventure
Aledo, Texas
ranchonodinero is offline   Reply With Quote