User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2003, 06:19 AM   #256
Paulf
Oi! Stop raining!

Oddometer: 50
Laminar lip

Have used this successfully with an Adventure screen (and a cheap experiment), but to sort out buffeting, you must try the Tobinators available here.

The only really worthwhile solution for me so far - now combined with a tall Z-Technik screen for buffeting-free riding.
Paulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:44 AM   #257
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Can you clarify? Laminar lip with the ZTech? Or did you find a way to use the Tobinators w/ it? Pics?

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:39 PM   #258
Paulf
Oi! Stop raining!

Tobinators

The Adventure screen WITH Laminar lip was definitely better than without - but the problem of insufficient air getting behind the screen remained.
I bought a Z-Technik on a trip to the states - good and slightly better than the Adventure/LL combo. Then at the UKSGer hogroast, Tobers had some of his whatchamajigs and I bought a set. Initial result? - didn't like them. I persevered though and contacted the man himself for guidance. He suggested a specific setup and after 2400 miles across Europe these puppies are NEVER coming off. Absolutely marvellous.
If you have any sort of regular screen (Adventure version soon I believe) - buy them!
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2003, 01:38 PM   #259
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Is it just me that's confused here? I can tell that's the Z-Tech and the tobers- which is a first... but I can't see how you've got them paired. Do the Tobers mount in the normal way with this screen? Or did you finagle them into working through some new combination of hardware? More pics?

Old 09-11-2003, 09:49 AM   #260
Paulf
Oi! Stop raining!

Jabba

Standard setup. Bottom of each Tobinator leg screws into standard screen mount on binnacle (this is not an Adventure setup - standard GS screen mounts). Studs in top of Tobinators protrude out through Z-Technik screen and are secured by nuts on outside.
Works fine, but because of the lower extension of the screen, you have to fix the Tobinators in place and then stretch the screen to pop it over the studs - no adjustment possible from then on, but works fine for me as shown (follows Tobers recommendations).
Don't have any more pics I'm afraid. Is that OK or would you like more info.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:35 PM   #261
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

I'll figure it out when my Tobinators arrive... I think I understand. What threw me is that somebody on here mentionned that the Tobes didn't work with the ZTech so I delayed ordering a set until I saw yours. I was wondering if you'd had to african engineer it, or if they bolted right on.

Old 09-11-2003, 02:56 PM   #262
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,401
Tobinators/Ztechnik (LOW) combo

Well here is a picture of the Tobinators/Ztechnik (LOW) combo ....

I ended up trimming the bottoms off the sides .... since the picture was taken I have trimmed more off, I left 5/8" from the bottom of the black adjustment plate ... that will give you the full range of adjustment.

The Ztecknik in the stock mounting position (Pre-Tobinators) was great for me, under 50 mph that is...over 50 mph the buffeting started and the faster you went the worst it got !!

I still have some more test runs to make to fine tune the correct position for me .. but getting the Ztechnik moved up off the silver plate gives an improvement in the airflow.

I have been playing with the Tobinators/2-Piece Wunderlich (will post picture and report later tonight) and that combo is great for hot weather ...I'm hoping to tune the Tobinators/Ztechnik for falls cool weather.

Since with the Tobinators it is moved up ... I'm thinking about cutting a portion of the flip off of the top of the Ztechnik....

Leftee
Attached Images

GsVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 01:00 AM   #263
Paulf
Oi! Stop raining!

Nice shot Leftee

Your Tobes are angled back a bit compared with mine - noticed any difference?
Old 09-20-2003, 12:12 PM   #264
Tobers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
I get told off for posting in here, so check the Tobinator report in the Vendor forum at the link below.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=2

Here's a pic of the new Adventure ones :-)

Tobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 04:07 AM   #265
L.A.
Regular Guy™

Oddometer: 1,305
Windscreen FAQ

Thanks Flying Dutchman for all the info! Just ordered a Wunderlich from Ride West BMW here in Seattle...review to follow.

"In their lifetimes, most people will never need a gun. Those that do will need one very badly."
- Gen. George A. Custer
L.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 08:42 PM   #266
Edder B
Meister Poser

Oddometer: 354
Cee Bailey's Windscreen

I currently have a MRA windscreen on my GS. It's great for spring, summer and fall but I want something with more protection for the winter. I've looked at the Aeroflow and it seems to be the shield of choice for the winter. I just don't like the cost and the fact that I will have to relocate my PIAA's each time I change screens. Has anyone tried the Cee Bailey's GS/Adventure screen? I've been thinking about ordering the one that's 7" taller and 5" wider for winter use. I'm 6'2" and would like good protection. Any input?

"If you try to pass me you will die. I ride at the limit". Sigi Hoffman.

Triumph Tiger Explorer, Triumph Scrambler
Edder B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 12:05 PM   #267
Jim Bud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
Changing the Aeroflow

Just a thought...I put on my Aeroflow windscreen and Piaa 910 lights with a Micatech titanium lightbar, using small homemade offset brackets, so I can remove the Aeroflow and just remount the Micatech light bar, with no removal of the lights from the bar. I have only done the change once so far, but it was easy to do. it turns out that I like the protection of the Aeroflow for longer highway trips more than I like the added cooling at slow speeds.
Jim Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:03 AM   #268
Zipper
User OF Tide

Oddometer: 20
Jim. Great info on windscreens, another avenue to look into may be the wings that Al Jesse has made that mount where the tank and beak meet on the gs. Has anyone had any experience with these???
Old 09-28-2003, 01:39 PM   #269
L.A.
Regular Guy™

Oddometer: 1,305
I was reading back through the posts of all the problems folks were having with ordering Wunderlich products from BMWscruz, and/or directly from Wunderlich in Germany.

It seems that Wunderlich has changed their method of distribution here in the states. Check out the following link:

http://www.wunderlich-usa.com

I ordered my Wunderlich (tall touring, clear) screen from Ride West BMW here in Seattle and had the screen in about a week. You can find a dealer in your area by following the "How to Order" link.

I'm happy so far with the Wunderlich on my '04 GS. I'm 5-10, 32.5" inseam, and the screen is a big improvement over the stock screen -- I no longer feel like I have a wall of air pulling me backward off the bike, and also no longer have the wind slapping my head silly at high speeds.

"In their lifetimes, most people will never need a gun. Those that do will need one very badly."
- Gen. George A. Custer
L.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 10:11 AM   #270
townboy
GS Adventure in Houston

Oddometer: 44
Laugh Good Work

Thanks for putting that together. VERY helpful.