User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2002, 11:10 PM   #16
Red Bull
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Nice work. Only recommendation I can come up with is:
"How do they work off-road?" (Many are too big or fragile for heavy bouncing off-road. Also many handle bar (grip & lever) protectors can hit the shield. Noticeable missing was the "Touratech" rally shields. All-in-all it is wonderful to have a "best of" on equipment with member comments.

John@MyHomeWebSite.com
'97 BMW R1100 GSA "RED BULL" - Sonoma, CA
'Where ever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Bonzai
Red Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 01:54 AM   #17
joesimpsonpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
here (in europe) there are a lot of windscreen types, do u wanna receive any addresses???

lamps
joesimpsonpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 12:55 AM   #18
JimO OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally posted by joesimpsonpc
here (in europe) there are a lot of windscreen types, do u wanna receive any addresses???

lamps
Lamps, certainly. Why don't you send me a couple to start with just to ensure that i understand what you're referring to.

Thanks.

Jim
JimO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 01:02 AM   #19
JimO OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally posted by John Saguto
Nice work. Only recommendation I can come up with is:
"How do they work off-road?" (Many are too big or fragile for heavy bouncing off-road. Also many handle bar (grip & lever) protectors can hit the shield. Noticeable missing was the "Touratech" rally shields. All-in-all it is wonderful to have a "best of" on equipment with member comments.
John, good idea - I'll add a blurb at the beginning indicating that off-road factors need to be considered.

Probably obvious but i'm not sure i understand the handle bar protector issue.

I remember consciously deciding to the omit the rally shields but don't remember why, it was probably in a moment of laziness. I'll add the Touratech options.

Jim
Old 04-19-2002, 12:19 AM   #20
JimO OP
Adventurer

Updated the windscreen faq with a blurb about offroad use, reference to the Boxer Design Draft Deflector and added the Touratech, Witec and Boxer Design windscreens. I couldn't find much to say about these screen - if anyone has anything it would be appreciated. I'll sort the windscreens within the page soon.

I haven't received any responses to my subsequent posts in this thread. This needs to be participatory. All i'm asking after are ideas and constructive feedback - no real work should be required for sometime yet if this is a concern.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:24 AM   #21
Red Bull
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Regarding handlebar interference: Since the GS has a full swing steering column with “wide handlebars” you will find that “some” handlebar protectors (BMW, Acerbee, Touratech) extend out far enough so the actually hit the screen when at the extreme position. In reality one would rarely ride with the handlebars moving this much… however also in reality… the inevitable CRASH will move to this point, (and hopefully you already installed a fork stop like Toutatech or your steering lock will be busted! ), the handlebar will be shoved (with great force) into to one side. Yes, I know from experience! Fortunately, I had steering fork stops and it kept my protectors from hitting my windscreen too!

John@MyHomeWebSite.com
'97 BMW R1100 GSA "RED BULL" - Sonoma, CA
'Where ever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Bonzai
Red Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 09:05 PM   #22
Mario
Dawg

Oddometer: 33
Great site dude, wish I would have seen it sooner.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 12:26 PM   #23
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,290
Quote:
Originally posted by JimO

I was thinking that keeping costs at MSRP was the best approach as it avoids some potential issues re: keeping the pages up-to-date with current best prices.
JimO,

Good point. It would be tough to keep up with the ever-changing prices out there. Perhaps then, a list of all known places that sell each product?

Hmm, then we get into international issues too, don't we? Can't be selfish and only list USA retailers. Plus, I'm not sure how that list could be organic, so that it doesn't take a lot of maintenance.

Maybe you can include a link to a site that does list retailers? I've sent an e-mail to Rick Korchak of the excellent Web Bike World site http://www.webbikeworld.com/ explaining all of this. I copied you. I also put in a plug for him to link to ADVRider!

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 05:05 PM   #24
Pinarretta
Bus driver

Oddometer: 458
Removed my GS ADV windscreen

I had the same problems as stevekat (similar build). The noise and buffeting from the stock Adventure screen is worse than just not having the screen on at all so I took it off. When the budget allows I'll look into the Aeroflow.

I feel a lot more like I do now than I did when I first got here.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant.
Pinarretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 07:55 PM   #25
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Quote:
Originally posted by Mario
Great site dude, wish I would have seen it sooner.
sooner than what?
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 08:20 PM   #26
Mario
Dawg

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally posted by fish

sooner than what?
I picked up the tall Parabellum over the Winter and noticed that when I first took it out this spring that at high speeds, above 70MPH, the wind would slap the top of my helmet. I can best describe it as someone taking a stick and hitting you on the top of the helmet as fast as they can. I think I would have gone with the 2 piece after seeing his site.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 10:03 PM   #27
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Quote:
Originally posted by Mario
I can best describe it as someone taking a stick and hitting you on the top of the helmet as fast as they can.

sorry man...I'm laughin' with ya
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 11:48 AM   #28
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,290
A quick follow-up on trying to recruit Rick Korchak's webBikeWorld site to list retailers for windscreens.

Rick sent a very nice response. And he's very kindly added links to ADVrider, to Jimo's page (and also the Micapeak list... thought I'd ask for the world and he gave it!)

Scroll to the bottom of this page.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-moto...s/BMWLinks.htm

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 09:59 PM   #29
JimO OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally posted by John Saguto
Regarding handlebar interference...
Thanks you, John. There is nothing like experience, eh? I've added your comments to our FAQ.

Jim
Old 04-25-2002, 10:17 PM   #30
JimO OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally posted by wxwax

JimO,

Good point. It would be tough to keep up with the ever-changing prices out there. Perhaps then, a list of all known places that sell each product?

Hmm, then we get into international issues too, don't we? Can't be selfish and only list USA retailers. Plus, I'm not sure how that list could be organic, so that it doesn't take a lot of maintenance.

Maybe you can include a link to a site that does list retailers? I've sent an e-mail to Rick Korchak of the excellent Web Bike World site http://www.webbikeworld.com/ explaining all of this. I copied you. I also put in a plug for him to link to ADVRider!
wxwax, we could perhaps include official distributors as we learn of them. Not sure how many countries we have represented but this may be managable.

I've see "rate the dealer" sites before (something like a glorified version of the polls we have). Perhaps we can develop something like this in the future.

Thank you for your efforts with Rick Korchak. I've added a reference to Rick's site to our FAQ.

Jim