Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2004, 12:42 PM   #346
drdata
R1200GS

Oddometer: 2,126
Just more fodder for the fire...

I am 6`1", 33 " inseam with a 1200GS.

Went with the CB +4 tall, +3 wide.

I am still experimenting with different angle settings, but the results so far are less then stellar. The ride is a bit less noisy @ 80 Mph, but not so that I feel comfortable forsaking earplugs. I still fealt some buffeting. Seems like the best setting is 2 notches down from full up/forward.

The screen is high-quality, very clear, and delivered within 5-days. I now have touratech windshiled hard-parts on order as one of the front mount snapped off. Seems that the factory may have cross-threaded, in that neither the new or original screws would easily thread back in. A little too much torque, and you can guess the rest.

Perhaps it is the KBC VR-1 helmet that makes all the noise....Any suggestions appreciated.

In the end, things have improved, but certainly no magic bullet for me. Having a spare screen is good, but not sure i would invest again, given what seems a mariginal improvement.

PS> I have been using ear plugs for the last two weeks w/the stock screen. Today I tested the new CB screen w/o plugs. This is not the best comparison, as all things are louder w/o the plugs. I plan to wear the plugs going home to see if that makes the new screen seem like a better buy.

Cheers
drdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 04:20 AM   #347
HIGHTECH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Wicked 4" works for me

Just got a used "20 miles" 4 inch taller C/B screen on my 1200. In the full upright position it works great from 40mph on up to 80 so far. Iam 5 10, inseam 30 and ride with a full face helmet that flips up. Now I do hear some wind noise but discovered its not from the bike or windscreen its my helmet visor. In the full colosed position lots of noise, two clicks open half as much, full open no wind sound all the way up to 80 plus and can hear nothing but motor. So now ride with the visor up about 3/4 of the way. Even then without sunglasses eyes are not in the wind flow, air is going over my head. Iam still looking over the screen by two inches. No wind buffing either!!! Great. Before the C/B screen real bad airflow. Got the screen for $110.00 good quality and very thick. Try one you will like it. !
HIGHTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:01 AM   #348
HIGHTECH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Wicked New windscreen

Well have over 500 miles on the new windscreen.. Sold much better than stock!
HIGHTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:12 PM   #349
Uncle Remus
zippety do dah

Oddometer: 967
Thumb motorcycle = wind

Your bike looks fuggin cool, max_kool

And Right On about riding without a screen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_Kool
Here's how I solved the buffetting.

I figured: What if I cut the screen right above the clocks? I did and here is the result:
(snip)

All I can say to those looking for the perfect windscreen: Try riding a few days without one at all!

Uncle Remus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:16 PM   #350
Uncle Remus
zippety do dah

Thumb motorcycle = wind II

Amen, brutha! You tellin da truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
Our forefathers would be laughing us into the next century with all this talk of cutting down the wind. Feeling the wind is half of the ride. Its good for your neck and stomach muscles too. Buffit shmuffit I say! How many of us are really riding 1000 mile days every day? We are a bunch of pussies! I think the stock one is fine, and if it aint, I'll fix it with a piece of plastic and duct tape! Damnit! Everyone rent "On any Sunday" right now! And I am 6'6" therefore getting twice the buffeting as most of you midgets!

That is all.

Old 12-31-2004, 03:09 AM   #351
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Remus
Your bike looks fuggin cool, max_kool

And Right On about riding without a screen!
You haven't seen the latest mod yet:

Next I might spray the valve covers black maybe.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:26 PM   #352
QTreiber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
SECDEM windshield

I finally installed the SECDEM shield (SECDEM BB 047 HP, French product; imported by www.clarysports.com).

Wind protection and noise compared to the OEM shield is significantly improved. The air stream now goes ~4" above the helmet. I can leave the visor open at all speeds, which was not possible before. Even at 110 mph the wind noise is low.

Engine and muffler noise is much more noticable now. I use the Laser Duo-Tech with straight end piece ("Sports Insert") and the sound level never bothered me; now I consider replacing this insert with the homologated one to reduce the noise level by 3 db(a).

I installed the shield at its lowest position so the upper edge is not in my line of sight (I am 5'9", 30" inseam).

Greetings from CO,

Armin
QTreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:14 AM   #353
Mojowkng
Cyco Dog

Oddometer: 191
Which Cee Bailey's

Quote:
I am thinking that a Cee Bailey's screen might be a good fit for my needs, and I've had good experience with them on prev bikes.

But egads, they sell 5 different screens (4, plus one carbon fiber lookalike).

I see that a few people here run the Adventeuro screen. Has anybody tried the GS Touring model? The adventeuro is convex, ane the touring is concave - they are quite dissimilar.

More details on me:
- 04 GS Adventure
- 5'11", 33" inseam
- Rich's saddle (well, in a week and a half)
- I'm specifically looking for something to help on long tours. I like Iron Butt type rides. I'll keep the stock adv screen for summer commuting and local playing.
- More concerned about wind protection and eliminating buffeting than looks (criminy, I bought a GS; I'm not concerned about beauty )

Suggestions?
Update on Cee Bailey's (I think). In the January 2005 BMW ON page 23 Cee Bailey's advertises the "BMW 1150 GS Ultra-Comfort Windshield" as being fully adjustable, maximum coverage, up to +22" above headlight cutout, +18 wide at the top, and hardware provided. I spoke to the Cee Bailey folks yesterday (1-3-05). They have not manufactured this unit. They are guessing it will be available for approximately $250 at the end of January 2005 (the ad says available in late November). BTW: no information on this "proposed" windshield is available on their website and this windshield will not work with Tobinators. One final question/comment for this excellent FAQ windshield thread. Does inseam length matter? It seems to me that inseam is of no matter in determining windshield dimensions. Perhaps a measurement from the top of the fuel tank to a level of top of helmet may work better at determining windshield dimensions. Any of you inmates have thoughts on this measurement issue?
Old 01-04-2005, 10:02 AM   #354
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
RTFM~ it's been discussed. Seated height is the best way to describe your dimensions when talking windshields... take your height in inches and subtract your inseam. 73" height, -30" inseam makes me 43" seated height... tall in the saddle and a target for buffetitis!

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 02:53 AM   #355
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Hi there fellow GS riders,

As some of you may already have seen, I've solved the buffetting om my bike by cutting off the screen. Although it works pretty well (all I have is a clean fresh blast of air around my helmet), I'm not satisfied with the looks of it. I just like the looks of the stock screen on an R1100GS best.

OK, I figured these turbulences happen because there is big difference in air-speed between the air that's coming over the screen, and the air behind the screen (sort of a vacuum). As an 1100GS rider is sitting relatively far from the screen, the "wash" will spread out, so adjusting the screen height does hardly have any effect. I needed to find a way to get lots of fresh streaming air behind the screen.

I took an old "development" screen from a friend of mine and cut out some sort of slot using a Dremel. Here's the result:

Don't mind the strange headlight cut-out, that's from another experiment. This is just a try-out. I have another brand new screen laying around here. I wouldn't want to waste it though untill I know for sure this acually works. I bolted this modified screen on my bike yesterday and went to work this morning.

First thing I noticed was that my "natural" speed has gone from 80-85 to 95 mph. Which is logical, because I used to be with my helmet in full blast with no protection (cut-off screen), and now I have a screen taking away the wind. The buffetting you have on a stock screen is almost gone. No more straining of my neck, jerking at my helmet. It's no problem any more to ride 95 mph for a prolonged period of time, whereas the stock screen would make my head tired from these irritating jerks at you head.

I'm still sitting with my helmet in the wash from the screen, but it's just much better bearable. Great improvement!!

(this will set you back a screen though, because there's no way back.....).
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:55 AM   #356
Uncle Remus
zippety do dah

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_Kool
I needed to find a way to get lots of fresh streaming air behind the screen.

I took an old "development" screen from a friend of mine and cut out some sort of slot using a Dremel. Here's the result:

I'm still sitting with my helmet in the wash from the screen, but it's just much better bearable. Great improvement!!

(this will set you back a screen though, because there's no way back.....).
Good job.

Same effect as Tobinators--they allow air behind the screen to diffuse the lamination layer where the high speed air meets the still air behind the screen.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:58 AM   #357
duckboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
adventure windscreen

i just installed the Adventure windscreen on my '01 1150 gs. one thing i noticed is the windsheild, due to the longer mounting blocks, is a bit more flimsy. the top lip bounces around a bit on the hwy.

windblockage is way better than the stock screen. i'm 5' 9" and my seat's in the lowest position. haven't ridden the bike w/ my ear plugs but w/o the plugs the wind noise/buffeting is dramatically reduced. it costs an arm and a leg but i'm very happy with it.

the only other thing i've noticed is that the wind blockage is so good that i can ride w/ my facesheild up/cracked. actually, i almost have to, to prevent my facesheild from fogging up on cold mornings.

aloha

duckboy
duckboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:41 PM   #358
lrs101
Rock 'n Ride...

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTreiber
I finally installed the SECDEM shield (SECDEM BB 047 HP, French product; imported by www.clarysports.com).

Wind protection and noise compared to the OEM shield is significantly improved. The air stream now goes ~4" above the helmet. I can leave the visor open at all speeds, which was not possible before. Even at 110 mph the wind noise is low.

Engine and muffler noise is much more noticable now. I use the Laser Duo-Tech with straight end piece ("Sports Insert") and the sound level never bothered me; now I consider replacing this insert with the homologated one to reduce the noise level by 3 db(a).

I installed the shield at its lowest position so the upper edge is not in my line of sight (I am 5'9", 30" inseam).

Greetings from CO,

Armin
What do you think of Laser? Do you have the slip-ons or full pipes? I'm in an exhaust quandry between Laser Duo Tech and the Remus for a new R12GS. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks...Larry
lrs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:43 PM   #359
lrs101
Rock 'n Ride...

Quote:

Greetings from CO,

Armin
What do you think of Laser? Do you have the slip-ons or full pipes? I'm in an exhaust quandry between Laser Duo Tech and the Remus for a new R12GS. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks...Larry
Old 02-13-2005, 07:49 PM   #360
lrs101
Rock 'n Ride...

Quote:

Greetings from CO,

Armin