Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2002, 10:19 PM   #31
JimO OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally posted by Mario

I picked up the tall Parabellum....
Thanks, Mario. I've added your comments to our FAQ.

Jim
JimO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 06:52 PM   #32
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,577
Thanks for taking on creating and updating the windscreen website, very good work!

Two questions:

has anyone cut the flip off of the factory 11500gs screen to reduce turbulence?

had a look at at the Cee Bailley's web site <http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw.html> ? Looks like great info on windscreen design (their primary business is making aircraft windscreens), and they are making 1150GS headlight protectors and looking at designing windscreens for various BMW models. They will customize screens and their prices are very resonable. I don't own one of their products but I would sure give them a shot as soon as they start making GS screens.

mark
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 07:32 AM   #33
Richard Ray
Musical Motard

Oddometer: 224
Windshield feedback

I'm new here. How do I post "comments" on the windshields?
Richard Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 05:22 AM   #34
Mario
Dawg

Oddometer: 33
Go out to his site and send him an email. When he gets to it he will update the website. Welcome to the asylum.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 09:36 AM   #35
hutchman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
I have just attempted to install an Aeroflow on my Adventure! For those of you considering one, STOP - DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNTIL AEROFLOW HAS ACTUALLY TRIED IT THEMSELVES!

1. The Aeroflow mounting brackets (the tubular side brackets) will not fit the stock Adv windscreen mounting brackets. You have to use Stock GS mounting brackets.

2. After installing the new BMW GS brackets, you will note, with keen interest, that the back mounting hole on the Aeroflow brackets miss the mounting hole on the GS bracket by about 1/2 inch.

What's a person to do you might ask, Suicide is out of the question, so I'll re-install the stock wind screen and wait until Monday for a call to Aeroflow.

This Adventure is slowly becoming the bike from HELL. If it did not ride so nice, I'd trade it for a stock GS!!!!!
IBA #11656

"We are past the worst of it" - Yours truely.
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 10:51 AM   #36
moon
Space Cowboy

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally posted by markgsnw
has anyone cut the flip off of the factory 11500gs screen to reduce turbulence?
By now you've probably already seen this

moon screwed with this post 05-18-2002 at 01:40 PM
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 11:56 AM   #37
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,717
Now that I've ridden a few freeway miles with the two-piece MRA, here are a few impressions.

As with another poster, so far I find the middle settings for tilt and extension to be the most effective. Thinking that if a little is good, a lot is better, I tried moving the upper piece to its fullest extension. But I found that this position actually made things worse - it seemed to direct the airflow more directly to my head. I haven't yet tried changing the tilt - that's next.

In the medium x2 position, the MRA is much better than the Givi, in my opinion. It's not without noise or turbulence, but they are greatly reduced. If I duck my head just a little, I'm in a pocket. Can't ride that way, though. BTW, I'm 6' with a 32" inseam.

Dislikes: I don't like the tint... if they ever make a clear one, I'll get it. When the top shield is fully extended, it moves around a bit. If I were to keep it in this position, I think I'd use some washers to brace the bottom end of the slide a bit - that would stop the shake. Finally, it's big. At least, compared to the stock.

The MRA is my third windshield. I like the stock shield laid fully back, with the rear screws removed. Its diminutive size makes the bike feel sportier. The wind noise and turbulence aren't bad, although the wind does tug at my sleeves and push against my chest a little. This set-up would be tiring on long trips.

I had high hopes for the Givi, but ended up disappointed. I couldn't find a truly quiet setting. And when I had it in its most upright position, I found the bike to be a little squirrelly on the freeway. I have system cases and top box, and I imagine the air flow wasn't good.

The MRA is good, the quietest and the least windy of the bunch so far. It's a decent compromise between size and effectiveness. After switching from the laid back stock shield, I suddenly feel like I'm riding a big old cruiser instead of a sportier machine. Overall I like it, and I'll keep it. If I find a better position than the medium x2, I'll post it.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 07:21 PM   #38
hutchman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
The saga of the Aeroflow on the Adventure continues. I talked to my dealer today - they contacted Aeroflow about the problems I had with fitting the uprights to the bike. Aeroflow now says they have not really had the time to put a GS windscreen on an Adventure. They thought it would fit. It sure did not fit on mine!

My solution - send the Aeroflow back. The problem I had with the stock windscreen was too much air in the chest and face. I'm 6' 8" and long waisted. Anyway, I loosened the back bolts on the stock windscreen and pulled the top as far forward as it would go and marked the location for new mounting holes. After removing the windscreen, I drilled new holes below the factory ones to support the screen at the new upright angle. I also had to radius the from of the screen in the area just over both head lights. After re-installation, the result is an almost verticle windscreen that deflects the air over the top of my head up to about 75 mph. At that point it's back in my face but still much better than stock. There is some turbulance behind the screen now, but the overall effect is much better than in the stock location. One other advantage - MUCH CHEAPER THAN AEROFLOW'S SOLUTION

Ride Safe!!
IBA #11656

"We are past the worst of it" - Yours truely.
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 06:19 AM   #39
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Oddometer: 323
Thumb Wunderlich 1150GS screen

Yesterday I received and installed the new R1150GS Wunderlich screen that I ordered from their site about 2 weeks ago. Here are some pics:
Attached Images

Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 06:22 AM   #40
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Thumb

Here a picture with the screen in the lowest setting, it looks a lot like the Adventure screen in that position:
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2002, 06:51 AM   #41
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Thumb MRA vs. Wunderlich R1150GS screen

I also ordered the new handscrews to easily adjust the screen:

My previous screen is the MRA screen (in Santa Cruz called the 2 piece Wunderlich screen). Compared to the MRA it is wider and because the screenmounting thingies are set up differently the screen sits a bit lower but can be raised a lot steeper. With the MRA screen there was still a lot of riding wind hitting my upper arms, pulling them back. I do not notice this anymore with the Wunderlich screen. With the MRA screen the pull would only get worse from steep to low angle setting, with the Wunderlich screen there doesn't seem to be a difference in "arm pulling" factor with these angles. My priority was to decrease this "gorrila arm" effect when riding at high speed (150km/h +) on the Autobahn (elsewhere I always ride the legal limit of course ). The Wuderlich screen does a good job at eliminating that effect, more than the MRA. Noise seems the same compared to the MRA, but I must add that it's always windy in Holland and I always wear earplugs. Compared to stock it's certainly better. When riding the Wunderlich in the lowest setting the airflow is pretty clean, although at my 6'3" / 1.90 meter (34" inseam) it blasts straight in my face. This blast, although clean, is noiser than the tiny bit of turbulent air that hits the side of my helmet when riding the Wunderlich in the steepest setting. Because the screen can be set steeper than the MRA the airflow is just a bit higher. The MRA screen in the lowest setting (angle, slide didn't make any difference for me) made my helmet lift up and created a lot of "gorrila arms effect", the Wunderlich doesn't have this. I think I'll be using the Wunderlich at low angle in the summer on the backroads and the steep angle on the long freeway drones, but I still have to experiment.

Concluding, so far I'm very satisfied with this new screen. I like it better than the MRA. The bigger width makes the long, high speed freeway runs more comfortable, the mounting setup creates optional settings from "Adventure screen, clean blast in face" up to "Goldwinnabago, fazer torpedo shields up". .
I think this is the nicest looking and best working alternative for that ugly Aeroflow.

I now have a stock screen, MDI screen, MRA screen and the Wunderlich screen. I have no riding experience with the Givi or Adventure screen.
Attached Images

www.motorisation.net
Old 05-30-2002, 09:09 AM   #42
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Talking

Well, okay, here's one more...
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2002, 09:11 AM   #43
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Side view, lowest setting
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2002, 09:12 AM   #44
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Side view, highest setting (yeah, I made it dirty already..)
Attached Images

www.motorisation.net
Old 05-30-2002, 09:23 AM   #45
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Re: Build Quality

Quote:
Originally posted by Razorbak
Emile, how sturdy is the build (i.e., this was one of the chief complaints about the 2-piece MRA screen)? Does it wobble at speed (i.e., like the ADV screen reportedly does)?
The sturdieness is similar to the stock screen. Because it is shaped and curved it can't really flex. The MRA is straight, which makes it flex a bit in strong wind. Still, I found the MRA very decent and sturdy. No wobble at speed, hard to imagine seeing that bullet proof adventure screen do that. The Wunderlich screen is a bit thinner compared to the Adv. screen, but there is no wobbling at any angle, at any speed.
Quote:
I noticed that it doesn't have the upcurved lip of the stock screen. Perhaps that's why you're getting much cleaner airflow?
Could well be.... I'd have to switch back to the stock screen just for fun, the last time I rode with the stock was almost a year ago... but I'm too lazy to switch those mounting things back and forth
www.motorisation.net