Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2002, 12:22 PM   #46
Curmudgeon
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 1,021
Man, I purchased my Wunderlich tall touring a week ago, and now I'm Jones'n big time while waiting for Fed Ex ground. I can't wait to see how much reduced the buffeting is on my XXXL helmet (aka melon head). If buffeting while "slab" speeding improves as much as I hope, and given the death stats on slab riding could make a slab convert out of me. Currently, I avoid the slab like the plague.

Fed Ex ground better get here today or I'll have to call BMWscruz.com and ask what the hold up is.

Patrick
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 05:28 PM   #47
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally posted by Curmudgeon
Man, I purchased my Wunderlich tall touring a week ago[...]Currently, I avoid the slab like the plague.
[...] BMWscruz.com and ask what the hold up is.
Patrick
I guess you're talking about the MRA (2 piece) screen, right ? I don't see the new Wunderlich (1 piece, wide, tall) screen available on the scruz site... You're currently using the stock screen ?
www.motorisation.net
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 08:13 PM   #48
Killen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Thumb

Well Done Jimo!

Your hours of work are appreciated.

Thank you.

Killen
Killen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 08:51 PM   #49
Curmudgeon
Enjoying the ride

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying Dutchman

I guess you're talking about the MRA (2 piece) screen, right ? I don't see the new Wunderlich (1 piece, wide, tall) screen available on the scruz site... You're currently using the stock screen ?
The scruz site doesn't show the Wunderlich tall touring, but they sell it, and had it in stock (supposedly) when I called. Yes... My name is Patrick, and I used the stock screen for 21K miles. Soon, I'll be getting most of these congo playing monkeys off my helmet, and try to look at the slab with something other then dread.

Patrick

Curmudgeon screwed with this post 05-30-2002 at 09:00 PM
Old 05-30-2002, 09:06 PM   #50
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:

Yes... My name is Patrick, and I used the stock screen for 21K miles. Soon, I'll be getting most of these congo playing monkeys off my helmet, and try to look at the slab with something other then dread.

Patrick

cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 10:13 AM   #51
Curmudgeon
Enjoying the ride

Quote:

The scruz site doesn't show the Wunderlich tall touring, but they sell it, and had it in stock (supposedly) when I called. Yes... My name is Patrick, and I used the stock screen for 21K miles. Soon, I'll be getting most of these congo playing monkeys off my helmet, and try to look at the slab with something other then dread.

Patrick
Bummer, scruz sells what they call the Wunderlich tall touring, but it's last years Wunderlich tall touring, so it's really a smoked tinted Ermax. So, I have to send it back today and order my Wunderlich tall touring from Germany.

Patrick
Old 06-06-2002, 04:05 AM   #52
Jase
Pissed Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
How much wider is Wunderlich screen?

Hey Flying Dutchman or anyone else who can answer :)

How much higher and wider than standard is the Wunderlich 1 piece screen...

I am still not decided between the MRA which sounds good for airflow but doesn't seem much wider than standard and this new Wunderlich screen... I don't have enough money just to buy both and see what works - cos in Europe they won't take it back if you don't like it... :(

Flying Dutchman - any chance of a photo of the original screen superimposed or sitting behind the new Wunderlich?

Thanks all
Old 06-06-2002, 04:48 AM   #53
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Re: How much wider is Wunderlich screen?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jase
Flying Dutchman - any chance of a photo of the original screen superimposed or sitting behind the new Wunderlich?
Just a few quick pics before I rush off to work...
I'm holding my stock screen in the same mount-angle as the wunderlich in the highest setting (sorry, I tilted it a bit... I'm in a hurry...):
Attached Images

www.motorisation.net
Old 06-06-2002, 04:52 AM   #54
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Sitting on the REAR buddy, leaning backwards, Wunderlich in the steepest setting:
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2002, 04:56 AM   #55
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Sitting on the REAR buddy, leaning a bit backwards, Wunderlich screen in the lowest setting. I'll be riding to Merano next week (Italian Alps), perhaps we can meet ?
Attached Images

www.motorisation.net
Old 06-06-2002, 10:49 AM   #56
Jase
Pissed Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Wunderful Wunderlich

Hey Dutchman,

Thanks a heap mate! that screen looks the business...

meeting up sounds like a fine plan!

I will email you privately...

Cheers
Old 06-06-2002, 11:55 AM   #57
Baldy
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,895
Thumb Incredible

JimO, you've done an amazing job with this! It's awesome. I put a link to it at the top of The Hall of Wisdom. I'm also happy to host it on ADVrider's server, but it looks to me like a very dynamic document in need of reasonably frequent updates. You wouldn't be able to edit it on my server.

You might send me email or a private message and we can explore the options.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:45 AM   #58
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,045
Thumbs down Stock windscreen sucks!

For the most part, I'm liking my GS, but the stock windscreen SUCKS! Any speed over about 60mph feels like a mule kicking me in the helmet. The only thing that helped is if I removed the rear screws and laid the screen down. This, of course, produced an enormous amount of windblast to my body.

So...last night I grabbed the old cordless jigsaw and cut the flip off the stocker. I put the belt sander to it to smooth out the rough spots, and polished it off with a little 220 grit. It looks pretty nice. The buffetting is down, but not gone, and windblast is kept at bay.

I went by a fellow GS riders house, and showed him my screen. He let me borrow his Givi. I've read that for folks my height (i'm 6'5"), that the Givi isn't very effective. Actually, for me it worked alright. Buffetting was still there, but only at super legal speeds around 90mph. I did notice that the Givi screen actually rubs the plastic above the gages a slight bit. Of course, that's nothing that jigsaw can't handle.

So, now I'm wondering if I should get the MRA/Wunderluch two piece screen, or give the Givi a shot? Anyone have both and can give an accessment.

Being a former RT owner, I really got used to that adjustable screen. Now I have to set it and ride. What's the best choice?
Old 06-10-2002, 08:57 AM   #59
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Re: Stock windscreen sucks!

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by chadhargis [/i
So, now I'm wondering if I should get the MRA/Wunderluch two piece screen, or give the Givi a shot? Anyone have both and can give an accessment.
I've put about 6 thousand miles on the Givi and now, just about 1000 on the MRA. I like the MRA better. I don't think the MRA wobbles any more than anything else. Fully extended, the MRA is about as tall as the Givi, but I couldn't adjust the Givi low enough (without a drill) to get clean air to my helmet. With the MRA, I can put it all the way down and push in the top part, and it's nice and smooth. You are right...at high speeds, the Givi feels like Lennox Lewis is smacking you on the sides of the helmet. Over 80, if I don't tuck down, I can't even read freeway signs. Not the case with the MRA, but because it doesn't block as much wind, you get a little more gorilla arm syndrome at high speeds. Anyway, I like the MRA, over the Givi. Besides, you can put all kinds of words behind that acronym, like Mentally Retarded A
DVrider :):
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 09:26 AM   #60
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,045
That big barn door that Flying Dutchman has on his bike may be an option too. I've got the same problem you mentioned. I can't read the signs or see what's in my mirrors with the stock screen. 30 minutes of riding yields a horrible headache.

I wish there was a way to sample all the screens. The Givi is cheap (compared to others), and I'm sure the offerings from Cee Baileys and BMA are going to be top notch (when they hit the market). I am not so much concerned with getting tons of airflow (while it's nice), I just want smooth air. I've had the bike over a week and only have 600 miles on it! I did that in 2 days on the RT!