slightly different angle
Attached Images

Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:57 PM   #617
slashfive
moto celeritas

Oddometer: 359
cut down question

any words of advice/direction for cutting down a standard gs screen? pitfalls, tips, instruments of destruction used and the such would be helpful. i am undertaking the slow process of screen issues and promised my wife that i wouldnt have to buy anything for this "new" bike....

eric in r.i.
slashfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:29 PM   #618
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Thumb Cee Bailey's +4/+2 + Laminar Lip = Good Solution

I put the Laminar Lip I had kicking around on my new Cee Bailey's, and it might a nice difference. In fact, heading into the wind, I can ride comfortably without earplugs up to about 70 MPH. If I tuck down a couple inches, it gets dead quiet. This leads me to believe that with a little tinkering, this might be close to an ideal solution. Of course, once I order my Russell saddle that adds an inch of height to my seat, I'll be back to square one.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #619
Chuck Hatcher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass
...Of course, once I order my Russell saddle that adds an inch of height to my seat, I'll be back to square one.
Good point. Best to select/adjust seat, adjust handlebar position, adjust suspension, work out long distance riding posture, and even select helmet before choosing the windscreen because all can have considerable effect. But what fun would that be?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:13 PM   #620
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hatcher
Good point. Best to select/adjust seat, adjust handlebar position, adjust suspension, work out long distance riding posture, and even select helmet before choosing the windscreen because all can have considerable effect. But what fun would that be?
Yeah, if I ever find the perfect windscreen, I'll be like Don Quixote without a windmill!
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #621
araspitfire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashfive
any words of advice/direction for cutting down a standard gs screen? pitfalls, tips, instruments of destruction used and the such would be helpful. i am undertaking the slow process of screen issues and promised my wife that i wouldnt have to buy anything for this "new" bike....

eric in r.i.
My R1200GS has a polycarbonate screen from the factory... indestructable as far as shattering it goes... just put tape on it, mark it (bit of wide electrical tape to make an even curve)... and cute it with a jigsaw..

Not sure about the 1150's screen.. it could be acrylic.. if so, then breaking it is a possibility... Work on it warm.. warmer the better... use lube to keep the jigsaw from grabbing, don't let it melt too much, or cut too fast.

Sandpaper wrapped on a board to even up the cuts... progressively finer grits...

Heatgun (or flame) to carefully heat-polish the edge.

Al...
araspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #622
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashfive

eric in r.i.
There is a thread on it here somewhere.

I did it on my 12GS and there is NO buffeting or noise. It worked great. I had to cut it very low to make it work.

Simply used a dremmel, sandpaper from 100 grit to 600 grit, and it came out looking stock!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:01 AM   #623
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,297
Cee Baileys

Like the windscreen FAQ, good information there. I have ordered a Cee Baileys touring screen +6" over. I am 6'4". Will let you know how it performs, has to be better than stock
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:40 PM   #624
pastor passum
Reverend Noob

Oddometer: 272
Thumb FlowJet conclusions

I installed the Wunderlich FlowJet screen on my 1200GS back in April for 2 reasons. I generally prefer smaller screens especially in warm weather and probably most important, I liked the looks of it. Until a few weeks ago most of my trips had been day trips or to rallys consisting of 500 miles days or less. I've just returned from a 4,200 mile trip to the National in Vermont and then on to Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail. I had thought the small screen might scarifice some comfort on the slab but thought it would pay off on the secondary roads in the July heat. I can't say enough about this windscreen. We torched several tanks at 80+ on the interstate between Carolina and Scranton PA. Except in areas of cross winds or brief periods coming up on semi's there was no turbulence at all, just smooth clean air. A huge improvement over the stock screen and I think most tall screens also. Although I always wear ear plugs the wind noise is also much less with the FlowJet. Considering the heat wave we were traveling in especially on the return trip I'm glad I didn't have the stock screen or especially any of the after market barn doors on the bike.The bike performed flawlessly as usual. When I bought it 15 months ago I thought I'd eventually break in the stock seat as has been the case with my previous BMW's but after 22,000 miles I may have to rethink that. Although I find it tolerable I believe, especially in hot weather, an aftermarket seat may be in order. Anyone considering a small screen and not wanting to cut down the stock unit, the FlowJet, while a little pricy, does a great job.

Jim
pastor passum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #625
kam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Does anyone have any experience with this screen?
MRA touring screen +2-3 inches.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/992/252/
Old 08-07-2006, 03:19 AM   #626
Crikey
Kn0by n00bY

Oddometer: 155
Does anyone know much about the Wunderlich Ergo screen. It seems to have integrated "winglets" which direct air below the handlebars.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #627
Bonafide505
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Flojet or Givi screen availability

PASTER, HOOKSTA
Where did you get your screens. I have not had much luck finding either. Thanks!
Bonafide505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #628
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonafide505
PASTER, HOOKSTA
Where did you get your screens. I have not had much luck finding either. Thanks!
I think it was from Twisted Throttle.
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #629
pastor passum
Reverend Noob

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonafide505
PASTER, HOOKSTA
FlowJet came from BMW Santa Cruz. I think they're distributors for Wunderlich.

Jim
pastor passum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:34 AM   #630
Chris_GS
I like a big pair...

Oddometer: 452
I have tried to read this thread from scratch and haven't a hope in Hades (apologies for all romans* watching) so I decided to order a screen from a guy I have bought from many times in the past: http://www.eaglescreens.com.au and he has a similar screen to the new R1200GSA available for the 1150 and the 1200 GS, with a wide lip at the top and more airflow underneath. I'll let you know how it goes, and at AUD$180 it's a lot cheaper than the other imported ones.

*(replace the r wiv a w, i have a wisp)
Chris_GS is offline   Reply With Quote