Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #646
hcmiller92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I just added a Cee Bailey "Adventourer" +4(h), +2(w) to my '06 1150GS Adv. on Sunday. I wouldn't have bought it at all, because I'm not unhappy with the stock shield, but I found it - like new - at a flea market at the Finger Lakes Rally and figured I'd give it a try. I'm pretty much amazed by it. It makes the bike very close to my old RT as far as wind management goes. I can ride with my face shield up, at speed, and be very comfortable. The ice blue matches my bike, too. I think I'll add some winglets now and get full air management on the bike for cold weather riding.

BMWMOA #125912
BMWRA #31609
'08 BMW K1200GT
'07 G650 X-Challenge

http://curt-mobile.blogspot.com/
hcmiller92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #647
MK_GS

Oddometer: 651
Varioscreen

I put the varioscreen on my R1100GS last night.

I had modified the adjusting nuts to give me another inch or so of adjustment towards laid back on the factory screen, started the vario there, but the hand guards hit it at full lock. Adjusted it up just enough to clear (which corresponds to full laid back on non-modified adjusting nuts) and rode it- pretty cool screen. It's quieter with good airflow and less buffeting.

I don't notice much difference at all with it extended or mid-height, but full low seems like a good choice for slower stuff off road. Seems you can leave the thumbscrews loose enough to slide it up or down without loosening and re-tightening each time and it'll stay put. A little windscreen flex, but nothing bad, and it doesn't look horrific or anything.

The tallest setting will be nice in the rain, I hope. Overall I think it's worth the $200 for the improvement over the factory screen. I'm 6-2 and the trip I took last month highlighted how noisy it is behind the factory screen in some of the country's less populated places where high cruising speeds are possible.
MK_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:03 AM   #648
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,305
Bluhduh BEWARE ! Cee Baileys

Sent my touring shield back to Cee Baileys ( see above ) for credit. They gave me some cock and bull story that the shield was scratched and would only give me a $100 credit. BUT if I bought a new shield from them they would give me full credit. Now I know when i sent it there was no scratches on it. They just said that to goad me into buying another from them. Well it worked because I did not want to loose $100+. So I have the ultra shield coming $400. Be real carful of doing business with Cee Baileys. Find someone that has one and try it before buying from them.
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:40 PM   #649
brenter
Brenter

Oddometer: 361
aero flow

I am 6'8' tall and installed the aeroflow shield about 4 months ago. It is by far the best thing going! I tried the largest cee bailey, but it just wasn't enough. The only problem is bugs still come over the top, but the air turbulance is not a problem. So with an occasional ouch to the face around the sun glasses and full face helmet, I am very happy with the shield. The owner of aeroflow called me the other day and we visted for quite a while, He is a real nice guy. He is now producing shields for Honda and Ducati ( not sure which bikes). Anyway my advice is to throw all of the other options away and spend the $ for the Aeroflow. Brenter
brenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:46 PM   #650
Conrad
Karlshuld

Oddometer: 209
I am new to this thred but have recently purchased a 1995 1100 GS. The OEM windscreen is useless. I am not a tall person, about 5'11" - but I would like a modicum amount of wind deflection at my face level. Is there anything I can do short of replacing the OEM windscreen - what about the extensions that are available?

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:16 PM   #651
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenter
Anyway my advice is to throw all of the other options away and spend the $ for the Aeroflow. Brenter
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++:cla p++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:00 AM   #652
mistercindy
In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenter
Anyway my advice is to throw all of the other options away and spend the $ for the Aeroflow. Brenter
Ditto that.

The following statement is true.

The above statement is false.
mistercindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:34 AM   #653
Nesbocaj
Politicians suck

Oddometer: 865
Color me dopey.....

OK, I bought a second, well third hand actually, Aeroflow screen for my '04 1150. It came with a standard size screen.
I must sit tall. At 5'10+/- I was getting all kinds of low freq buffet with the seat either high or low. What now?

Do I pop for a medium? At $160 this better be right, nah, go for the tall.

The tall comes (@$170!), mount it, I'm looking through a few inches of screen at low seat. Move the seat to high, a bit better, but not perfect.
All the while I test ride between changes. WOW this is great, but I need an inch or two height to see over this thing. What now?

Hmmmm, I'm looking at the top two supports, do they bend?
I put some rubber hose in a piece of PVC pipe, put it over one support and bend it down a small amount, do the other, remount the screws. If I could spell nirvanna w/o some spell check monkey on my butt, well that would say it.
Net effect, screen is back and lower just a bit, perfect.But now I realize that I could have gone the opposite direction with the standard screen.
Nesbocaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #654
ravencr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
I hope I don't get flamed on here for for this, but since it appears that everyone and their brother has looked at this thread for the right shield combination, I'm in need of the following for my 2002 1150GS:

1) Tall Vario Adjustable Windscreen
2) Tobinators

From what I've read this is a great combination for those looking to eliminate the buffetting, lessen the total amount of wind, and works well year round, unlike how the aeroflow might be a tad hot in the summer. Is that an accurate summation of this thread for the 1150GS's? I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam, stock seat, but getting a Russell seat soon. Any comments?

Chris
ravencr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #655
kam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Does anyone have the Wunderlich Vario screen for the 12GS? I just saw it in the new/improved catalog. Looks like a less expensive desierto III.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:37 AM   #656
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,305
Cee Baileys Ultra Shield

Well, after several hundred miles on the GS with the Cee Baileys Ultra Shield I can say that I am no longer deaf. I bought the middle size shield for my 6'4" height it is ok. I keep the shield in the lowest setting and I am looking about 2" over it. The shield is well made and blocks most all wind. It may be an optical illusion but over 60mph it looks like the windshield bends back a good bit. I can't confirm this as just looking at the top it appears to dip about an inch. I haven ot tried it on the next highest setting as I will be looking through it unitl I get over 65-70mph. Overall it does what I needed it to do. No more big updraft and buffeting. I would have bought the Aeroflow but as noted earlier I was pretty much forced into buying this or loosing too much on trade. Still do not like Cee Baileys un-truthfullness about the trade in but can live with this one.
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:36 PM   #657
bmwhubb
Work to Ride

Oddometer: 93
Cool2 Wunderlich Ergo Screen Tall and Wide

I just put a Wunderlich Ergo shield on about a week ago and the coverage is awesome. In the lowest position gives me a little bit of wind. Bring it up another notch and almost no wind or buffetting. Up three notches and drive with the visor open without any wind. Great screen if you like it quiet but still want the option for a little breeze or nothing at all.
bmwhubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:35 PM   #658
GSesRcool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Laminar lip

I bought a laminar lip and it seems to work fine for the price. I noticed one thing though. Be careful where you mount it. I mounted it so that there was approximately 1.5 inches of the lip above the top of the windshield. At freeway speeds the lip flexs back and touchs the stock windshield where the angles come together. This caused two pits to form, and if I hadn't noticed it earlier, it would have started cracking. I removed the lip and I'm going to have to mount it higher, or put dual lock where it isn't hidden behind the two "laminarlip.com" stickers. Long story short, when you stick the lip onto the windshield, make sure there are dual lock pads near the top of the stock windshield to keep the lip off the windshield.
GSesRcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #659
mistercindy
In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSesRcool
I bought a laminar lip and it seems to work fine for the price. I noticed one thing though. Be careful where you mount it. I mounted it so that there was approximately 1.5 inches of the lip above the top of the windshield. At freeway speeds the lip flexs back and touchs the stock windshield where the angles come together. This caused two pits to form, and if I hadn't noticed it earlier, it would have started cracking. I removed the lip and I'm going to have to mount it higher, or put dual lock where it isn't hidden behind the two "laminarlip.com" stickers. Long story short, when you stick the lip onto the windshield, make sure there are dual lock pads near the top of the stock windshield to keep the lip off the windshield.
My Lip also developed a stress fracture after a couple thousand miles or so. I had it on my 12GS stock windshield at the highest possible position where the lip extended 3 1/2" above the stocker. It worked fairly well and I thought it was a heckuva cheap solution to buffetting, but it developed a stress fracture above one of the dual lock pads. I did have pads near the top of the stock screen, but the fracture developed all the same.

My conclusion is that the Lip is a great solution for the less frequent rider, or a rider that doesn't hit high speeds often enough or fast enough to create a lot of stress. Harder and more frequent high speed riding, at least on the Lip designed for the 12GS shield, may require a more permanent solution. Mine was an Aeroflow and I'm well pleased.

The following statement is true.

The above statement is false.
mistercindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:53 PM   #660
TheDuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhubb
I just put a Wunderlich Ergo shield on about a week ago and the coverage is awesome. In the lowest position gives me a little bit of wind. Bring it up another notch and almost no wind or buffetting. Up three notches and drive with the visor open without any wind. Great screen if you like it quiet but still want the option for a little breeze or nothing at all.
I need to get another screen and am considering the Givi screen. But, before making the final decision I'd like to look at the Wunderlich Ergo screen.

Do you have a pic of the screen and where did you order it?

Bob
TheDuke is offline   Reply With Quote