Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #736
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercindy
By "winglets" are you referring to the bottom half of the Aeroflow? Remember that the Aeroflow screen for the GS is a half fairing, not just a screen. They're designed to work together. I'm not meaning to criticize, but if that's the case then I wonder why anybody would fork over the money for an Aeroflow without installing half of it.

I installed the upper and lower halves. The winglets are just that-- 2 very small angled pieces of plastic (about the size of your hand) that mount at the very bottom of the lower half of the faring. Due to their small size and location it is hard for me to image that they will affect buffeting at the top of my helmet, but I will put them on and let eveyone know.
PETDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #737
mistercindy
In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC
I installed the upper and lower halves. The winglets are just that-- 2 very small angled pieces of plastic (about the size of your hand) that mount at the very bottom of the lower half of the faring. Due to their small size and location it is hard for me to image that they will affect buffeting at the top of my helmet, but I will put them on and let eveyone know.
Interestig. They aren't a part of the 12GS package.

The following statement is true.

The above statement is false.
mistercindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:44 PM   #738
TANKSADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I'm want to remove windshield. The ride is better standing on my pegs at 80+ than behind the shield. I'm going to take it off and go for a ride. If it work's a sawzal should due the job of cutting the shield down.. do all bmw engineers have a 36 in-seem and stand 5"7". how do you account for the poor design of the windshield
TANKSADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #739
araspitfire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Take a couple hours and read back in the thread... you'll discover that every single "miracle fix" comes back a few months later as "didn't work out"....

After breaking my "first replacement" windshield off in Norway last year, I rode the rest of the trip (including 1200 km home through Denmark, Germany, and The Netherlands.... in 10 hours including stops =) with no windshield at all... lots of bugsplat on the dials... I liked it (despite having a broken colarbone), and may return to my cut-off OEM shield (that I build when I got home)... The cutoff shield put more turbulence on my lower helmet than having no shield at all though...

Haven't decided yet. I may build a little shield to protect the dials... there are pictures of such things in this thread I think...

Al...
araspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #740
TANKSADV
Adventurer

I like your Idea of cuting it down... heading home now to remove and ride with out it. and friday trying an areoflow on a friends bike.. I think cuting it down will work for me.... thanx for your input
Old 03-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #741
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by araspitfire
Take a couple hours and read back in the thread... you'll discover that every single "miracle fix" comes back a few months later as "didn't work out"....

After breaking my "first replacement" windshield off in Norway last year, I rode the rest of the trip (including 1200 km home through Denmark, Germany, and The Netherlands.... in 10 hours including stops =) with no windshield at all... lots of bugsplat on the dials... I liked it (despite having a broken colarbone), and may return to my cut-off OEM shield (that I build when I got home)... The cutoff shield put more turbulence on my lower helmet than having no shield at all though...

Haven't decided yet. I may build a little shield to protect the dials... there are pictures of such things in this thread I think...

Al...
I mostly agree with you. If you want to protect your instruments without losing the clean air of a naked GS, try the TT cockpit cover. I have it on mine, and find it has no effect on airflow, but nicely protects the instruments, and looks good too.

and it fits under the stock screen for long distance or winter protection.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #742
TANKSADV
Adventurer

this my be my answer. your bike looks great...
Old 03-22-2007, 08:24 PM   #743
TANKSADV
Adventurer

I cut my shield just above the upper bar and tapered it to the side's. set it in the lowest position... what a difference. now my problem is just the normal noise of my XD.. fresh cool air no buffeting and head batter... 110 + with XD shield open no problem to with breathing.. had to have it opened to dark and I have a tinted shield on.. looking forward to testing Friday by moving the shield up
Old 03-29-2007, 11:07 AM   #744
Briggy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
2 weeks without a windshield = no fun

A buddy and I just got back from a 2 week ride. Two days into it, I fell on big river rocks and shattered my Cee Bailey (6" taller, 4" wider).

Wow... is riding without any windshield ever wearing! It's actually quite nice at low speeds around town, but ever so fatiguing at any higher speeds. Surprisingly, I could swear that the right-left-right buffetting that you get when coming up behind a tuck at speed seemed worse. My buddy said that my jacket was moving left to right, so that might have been it.

We traded bikes, and his stock windshield was so great to have, but I got the head buffet that the Cee Bailey reduced. I almost purchased an Aeroflow since I was going right by their place, but just couldn't bring myself to put something thst ugly on my bike. My GS riding buddy jokingly said "Well you could buy it, but I wouldn't ride with you anymore".

I think I'll just get another Cee Bailey.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #745
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Is there no one on this site who has ordered that strange manta ray windscreen?
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #746
araspitfire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggy
A buddy and I just got back from a 2 week ride. Two days into it, I fell on big river rocks and shattered my Cee Bailey (6" taller, 4" wider).

Wow... is riding without any windshield ever wearing! It's actually quite nice at low speeds around town, but ever so fatiguing at any higher speeds.
To each his own I guess... My first two bikes never had screens...

When I broke my windshield off in Norway, I also broke my collarbone... though didn't know it at the time. I rode the rest of the week in Norway, and averaged 120 kmh (75mph.. and this includes the fuel stops... =) 1200 kilometers home in a day at the end of it...

Though I do agree that passing trucks without a shield on this bike is a tad more exciting, I preffer it for warm weather... I think having a tight motorcycle jacket helps with the fatigue factor some...

Al...
araspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:37 AM   #747
AEIOU
Wien ist so herrlich hin

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by araspitfire
.. I think having a tight motorcycle jacket helps with the fatigue factor some...

Al...
Definately true... i wear my leather jacket when in town and sometimes on the highway - passing by trucks is way more comfortable with the leather jacket than with the wide touring jacket...

but i sweat like a frickin water fountain with the leather jacket..

still lokking for the right windshield... anyone ever tried the ISOTTA Screen??
or the one from ztechnik??

Knife Addict, love MuayThai, my 1150GS and a good Whiskey

AEIOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:06 AM   #748
DirtMerchant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU
Definately true... i wear my leather jacket when in town and sometimes on the highway - passing by trucks is way more comfortable with the leather jacket than with the wide touring jacket...

but i sweat like a frickin water fountain with the leather jacket..

still lokking for the right windshield... anyone ever tried the ISOTTA Screen??
or the one from ztechnik??
I have the smaller of the two from Ztech, not sure of the model # but something like +2+2 larger then stock.

I like it, it bumps on one side when in the lowest position. I just installed the Cee Baileys Wings on the bike but have not even had time to go for a ride; maybe this weekend. eal

Rodney
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #749
Woukie
Woukie

Oddometer: 55
Givi Screen

I just bought and installed the Givi screen. Huge mistake for me.
First, the mounting holes had to be drilled to accept the bolt sleeves from the original screen.
Then, I found the screen to be much worse than the stock screen (R1200GS). The buffeting on my helmet was worse (noisy and thumping) and the air flow around the lower part of the screen created far more wind on my stomach. I didn't install the winglets.
I'm tall, 6'5" (1.96m) so that matters. The screen might be ok for someone who sits lower than I do.
Really disappointing.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #750
zorba75482
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Confused

I heard somewhere that an 1150GS screen with Tobinators will fit an 1100GS. Having read for a few hours I can't find anything to substantiate this.

Has anyone tried this setup or maybe has a picture.

I just bought a GS with a Aeroflow that is too tall for my 5'10" with 32" in seam so I'd like to try something else without spending too much cash.
zorba75482 is offline   Reply With Quote