Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #751
CA Dreaming
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorba75482
I heard somewhere that an 1150GS screen with Tobinators will fit an 1100GS. Having read for a few hours I can't find anything to substantiate this.

Has anyone tried this setup or maybe has a picture.

I just bought a GS with a Aeroflow that is too tall for my 5'10" with 32" in seam so I'd like to try something else without spending too much cash.
Yes, it works. I installed a Tobinator and a stock 1150 shield on my 97 1100GS. Sorry, no photos. Go to the Tobinator's site and follow their links for the 1100. http://www.stopthebuffeting.com/
2009 R1200GS Adventure
CA Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #752
pshesse
psh

Oddometer: 8
Question

Just buy Aeroflow screens. It is not necessary to waste money.
Peter
pshesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #753
CA Dreaming
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshesse
Just buy Aeroflow screens. It is not necessary to waste money.
Peter
Depending on your height and personal preference you may find the Aeroflow "a waste of money". My 97 GS came with one and I didn't like it.

I've owned 2 different 1100GSes and tried several different windscreen/fairings on both bikes in an attempt to find a smooth-quiet ride.

The problem with almost all of the GS models is the windscreen is too far from the rider. The bubble of protected space has started to collapse by the time it get to the rider. It can be REALLY bad for a passenger (BTDT).

My Aeroflow worked if I ran the tall screen, something I wasn't willing to do since I don't like to look through a motorcycle windscreen. The standard height screen was OK IF I ran either the Aeroflow lowers or a set of tank panniers.

The best "full coverage" windscreen/fairing I ever tried on a GS was an old Parrabellum touring fairing, with a set of tank panniers it provided better overall protection than a R1100RT I used to own. Problem was an almost total lack of airflow behind it, not good in warm-hot weather.

If you want smooth airflow and are not trying to "hide" behind the windscreen then I recommend a Tobinator and a stock 1150GS windscreen on an 1100GS. You will get quite a bit of airflow, but after a bit of trial and error it will be SMOOTH! PLUS, you have the option of running almost any 1150GS aftermarket windscreen that mounts to the stock 1150 mounts.
2009 R1200GS Adventure
CA Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #754
zorba75482
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Thanks guys. I'm looking for a stock 1150 now.
zorba75482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:14 AM   #755
Bill in FL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
another Aeroflow endorsement...

FWIW, I thought I might offer one more extraneous point of view in the GS windscreen discussion.

When I picked up my R12GS in July 2005, I was reasonably happy with the stock screen but - like many of you - thought there was room for improvement. Around town, I enjoyed the increased air flow with the screen in the lowest position, especially in our warm Florida summer. When traveling longer distances at speed, I usually raised the screen to reduce fatigue, but felt the noise and turbulence were greater than ideal. For reference, I’m 5’7”, have a 29” inseam and ride the stock seat mounted high in front/low in back.

On the recommendation of others, I ordered a Cee Bailey’s 2+/2+. When deployed in the highest position, wind noise and turbulence were nicely reduced but not eliminated. (In retrospect, I could probably have benefited from going 3” taller than stock.) When the CB screen is laid back in any of the lower positions, however, I found the noise and turbulence increased significantly. In the lowest position, the wind noise was bizarrely loud, even at modest speeds around town. Overall, I was happy enough with the improved performance at highway speed that I sacrificed a bit of airflow in the summer and left it on my bike (deployed in the highest position) year round.

In January, I treated myself to an Aeroflow (with medium height upper shield) during their sale. Like others have reported, I am very pleased with this product. Traveling at speeds up to 70 or 80 mph, I am impressed with the quiet, calm ride as well as the sturdy mounting hardware and clear installation instructions provided with the screen. My wife, who often rides with me, also enthusiastically gave the Aeroflow the all-important spousal seal of approval.

The only negative I can report on the Aeroflow is a slight amount of back pressure above 70 mph or so, although if the air around my head and torso were not so calm, I don’t think I could detect it. Additionally, we have had a few warm days here in Florida already this year and I am concerned I will find the Aeroflow’s limited airflow inadequate for our summer heat. If this turns out to be true, I may use one of my other screens for commuting between July and September, but would also use the Aeroflow for any long trips, regardless of warm weather.

I have really enjoyed and benefited from all the owner experiences reported in this thread and may explore other windscreen options as opportunities and finances allow.

Best,

Bill
Bill in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #756
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,421
i am 6'1" and using a zteknic screen right now on my 05 gs , not really good but better than stock . i am thinking about trying the parabellum tall screen , anybody using this screen ? pros , cons ? i have looked at the aeroflow , but have lights mounted . i wish aeroflow would come out with something more compatible with the common farkles .
Old 04-26-2007, 04:33 AM   #757
Araindog
Araindog

Oddometer: 1
Tobinators work! I am 202 centimeters, riding a gsa1150

Now i just need footpeg-lowering to be 100% satisfied with everything in my earthly life.
Araindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #758
Joliet Jake
Opposer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreaming
If you want smooth airflow and are not trying to "hide" behind the windscreen then I recommend a Tobinator and a stock 1150GS windscreen on an 1100GS. You will get quite a bit of airflow, but after a bit of trial and error it will be SMOOTH! PLUS, you have the option of running almost any 1150GS aftermarket windscreen that mounts to the stock 1150 mounts.
+1. The Aeroflow standard and X-Tall heights didn't work for me, but the Tobinators with an 1150 screen on my 1100 work great (6'3", 34" inseam, Shoei X-11 helmet).
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:18 PM   #759
bajapilot
"Assisted Living"

Oddometer: 8
Thumb One more for Aeroflow

After nearly 30 years of riding an airhead I made the jump to a 05 GS a few months ago. Love the bike, hated the windshield.

My ears were very sensitive to the loud popping and slaps from the wind on my helmet. At 6'1" with 33 inseam I couldn't find a quiet spot with the windscreen in any position.

Long story, short. Got the Aeroflow a couple of weeks ago and it's changed the bike. Don't need earplugs for town riding and I can hear noises or MP3 player at normal volume.

It did the trick for me.
bajapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #760
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,524
I recently installed the Wunderlich windscreen to replace the stock 1100gs screen.
The difference was pretty amazing.

It cut the buffeting on my head to zero. I have no wind noise on my head!
I can hear the whirr of the tires, the fuel pump, the gears!

In the rain some big drops come from the little slot.

The mounting system is simple and really ingenious.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #761
rockies-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Thumb

WOUKIE, tell me what windcreen did you finally get? Did you change those Givli's? I am 1m93 so if a winscreen workd for you it will work for me as well.

Thanks

laurent
rockies-GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:21 PM   #762
Chumley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
What's up with the latest Cee Bailey's

I read in past posts that a couple of you have gotten the Cee Bailey's 1200GS Adventure style windscreens. How do they stack up now?

I have the BMW "winglets" and a Cee Bailey's +4+3 and I just get too much buffeting at the top of the helmet but let me fill you in here.

First I am 5'-8" with a 29" inseam.

I had a Z-Technik screen and then the Cee Bailey's but want more satisfaction. Oh, also have the Wunderlich thingie that raises the windscreen for airflow under it...

I have tried the CB screen up and down and almost have a nice envelope with it all the way up but then I feel I've lost all laminar airflow and the airflow is shredded and rattling my head.

I am considering getting the new Adventure style CB at 22" wide and 18" high which is higher than CB recommends. My goal is to use the windscreen in the most laid back position and hope that the airflow is more laminar and goes over my head without the windscreen actually poking me in the face.

Anybody else try this? Any feedback that might be rooted in science vs. aesthetics?
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #763
Marrakesh Red
Banned

Oddometer: 182
F650 screen recommendations

Hello,

Any recommendations on the best windscreen for an '07 F650 ?
M
Marrakesh Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:06 AM   #764
AEIOU
Wien ist so herrlich hin

Oddometer: 243
so i got the 1150 adventure windshield from ebay with the bracktes for 63 euros(thats 80 bucks or so) and installed it. Since the original windshield was broken i had to do something and i always wanted the adv screen.. just looks a lot better .

Have read hundreds of posts which say the gsa windshield is not better than the normal gs shield i still wanted to try it.

Fuck , it looks better but damn, thats no solution. i am 6'3'' and thought it might help a little bit.
Its wider than the oem one but thats definately not the way for long distance relaxed riding.

whatever
i might try the wüdo thing where you can change angle on the adv windscreen at http://www.wuedo.de/wsadmin/neues.php?kat_id=4

Knife Addict, love MuayThai, my 1150GS and a good Whiskey

AEIOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #765
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrakesh Red
Hello,

Any recommendations on the best windscreen for an '07 F650 ?
M
Go to www.F650.com check out the FAQ's on windshields... I liked the big ass Wunderlich that I had on my DAKAR...
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote