ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2007, 07:16 AM   #766
Marrakesh Red
Banned
 
Marrakesh Red's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Early Apple in Decay,Detroit
Oddometer: 182
Question Wunderlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet
Go to www.F650.com check out the FAQ's on windshields... I liked the big ass Wunderlich that I had on my DAKAR...
Hello V8T

I agree with you on the Wunderlich.
I have heard some very bad installation stories on F650.com.... Problems with the hole locations for mounting.
However, It could be the user interface too!


Did yours have the cut-outs for the hand guards and do you have any pics?


?????????Also,...........Does anyone know of an aftermarket break light assembly for the 2007 F650??

Many thanks,

Marcos
Marrakesh Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #767
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.
 
v8toilet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Northwest U.S.
Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrakesh Red
Hello V8T

I agree with you on the Wunderlich.
I have heard some very bad installation stories on F650.com.... Problems with the hole locations for mounting.
However, It could be the user interface too!


Did yours have the cut-outs for the hand guards and do you have any pics?


?????????Also,...........Does anyone know of an aftermarket break light assembly for the 2007 F650??

Many thanks,

Marcos
I don't have any pictures of it handy... the installation can be a nightmare.. the holes near the blinker will drive you CRAZY.. which is not good. What I used to do was slip out the side panels without removing that front screw.

As for an aftermarket brake light are you wanting to save weight or add a second light or what? Depending on your useage you might just try a generic Acerbis or other dualsport tail light. They just bolt to the rear fender, don't have an f650 nor have I tried this approach.

v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:40 AM   #768
Marrakesh Red
Banned
 
Marrakesh Red's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Early Apple in Decay,Detroit
Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet
I don't have any pictures of it handy... the installation can be a nightmare.. the holes near the blinker will drive you CRAZY.. which is not good. What I used to do was slip out the side panels without removing that front screw.

As for an aftermarket brake light are you wanting to save weight or add a second light or what? Depending on your useage you might just try a generic Acerbis or other dualsport tail light. They just bolt to the rear fender, don't have an f650 nor have I tried this approach.


Thanks for the reply.
Once the sheild was in place did you have any troubles with it? and was yours the narrower version for the handguards?

P.S.

Thanks for the info on the brake light.
M
Marrakesh Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #769
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.
 
v8toilet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Northwest U.S.
Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrakesh Red
Thanks for the reply.
Once the sheild was in place did you have any troubles with it? and was yours the narrower version for the handguards?

P.S.

Thanks for the info on the brake light.
M
No problems lock to lock not sure I guess it was the narrow version. The version pictured here is wider than the one I had if that helps.

http://www.f650.us/images/maintenanc...reen/index.htm
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #770
Marrakesh Red
Banned
 
Marrakesh Red's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Early Apple in Decay,Detroit
Oddometer: 182
Thumb

The Shield pictured is post 04. Check out this link it's for 05 to present...
http://www.bmwsantacruz.com/Merchant...1/ws_specs.jpg

Marcos
Marrakesh Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #771
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.
 
v8toilet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Northwest U.S.
Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrakesh Red
The Shield pictured is post 04. Check out this link it's for 05 to present...
http://www.bmwsantacruz.com/Merchant...1/ws_specs.jpg

Marcos
That is the one I had on my 06 Dakar.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #772
Mika S
JC & MC: Double Freedom
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: southern Finland
Oddometer: 167
I saw a new 2007 12GS in a showroom the other day, and guess what?















The windshield hard parts were made of Aluminum! instead of the prior brake-your-self-plastics...
So I didn't have to order a pair from Touratech, but bought the new OEM parts from the local dealer, who had them readily available in stock!!!
Mika S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #773
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.
 
v8toilet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Northwest U.S.
Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika S
I saw a new 2007 12GS in a showroom the other day, and guess what?


The windshield hard parts were made of Aluminum! instead of the prior brake-your-self-plastics...
So I didn't have to order a pair from Touratech, but bought the new OEM parts from the local dealer, who had them readily available in stock!!!
Sweet right hand side is broken on mine... I'll order the aluminum version from dealer.. thx for the FYI.. was the price same as TT?
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #774
Ruger
Custom User Title
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 11
They make them out of plastic so that the constant side to side vibes wont crack you windsheild. would you rather pay $9 for a little plastic trinket or 3 bills for a new window...man.
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #775
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.
 
v8toilet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Northwest U.S.
Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
They make them out of plastic so that the constant side to side vibes wont crack you windsheild. would you rather pay $9 for a little plastic trinket or 3 bills for a new window...man.
Well Mr. Ruger I called my dealer today and they said the plastic part numbers is replaced/superceded by the new part which is aluminum so if the shield cracks it will crack on all 07+ bikes. As one side is broken on mine I really have no choice but to purchase the aluminum mounts and hope for the best. I have not seen wide spread reports of cracking yet.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:53 AM   #776
webwalker
Monitor monitor
 
webwalker's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: New Mexistan
Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
They make them out of plastic so that the constant side to side vibes wont crack you windsheild. would you rather pay $9 for a little plastic trinket or 3 bills for a new window...man.
Over a year ago, I put the Touratech metal parts on my 05 GS12. While also installing Tobinators I cracked the holes around the stock windshield. (Note to self: Do NOT use Loctite on or near acrylic. Doh!). If any windshield were going to have additional cracks due to metal-on-plastic mounts, I think it would be this one. After stabilizing the cracks with small holes drilled into the end of the cracks, no further migration has occured. This is with the additional stress of a Laminar Lip.
__________________
Life's not too short. It's just that you're dead for so long.


webwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #777
Marrakesh Red
Banned
 
Marrakesh Red's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Early Apple in Decay,Detroit
Oddometer: 182
We received the Wunderlich windshield today from BMW Santa Cruz; for my wifes new 2007 F650.
Just in time for the rainy weekend.

After assembling all of the components and verifiying the installation instructions I installed the windshield.

All the previously voiced concerns were rolling around in my head.
(will the holes line up? will this installation drive me CRAZY!

well I can tell you that I must be one of the lucky ones....Today anyway.

The installation went smoothly. Taking about a total of about 30-45 minutes.

Once my wife gets out of her sick bed; I will follow up with a progress report on the riding characteristics of the Wunderlich shield.

Great job on the quick service and delivery from BMW Santa Cruz.
http://www.bmwscruz.com/Merchant2/index.html
Highly recommended.

Marcos

Marrakesh Red screwed with this post 05-24-2007 at 02:29 PM
Marrakesh Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #778
Marrakesh Red
Banned
 
Marrakesh Red's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Early Apple in Decay,Detroit
Oddometer: 182
We rode the new F650 on a trip in typical dual sport fashion this weekend and I'm very happy to report that it functioned wonderfully.

My wife couldn't be happier with this product.
If you need a new windsheld for a new F650 this product is the way to go.

Marcos

Marrakesh Red screwed with this post 05-28-2007 at 07:02 AM
Marrakesh Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:38 PM   #779
jbim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jbim's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Oddometer: 160
TT Screen spoiler

I just added the TT Screen spoiler to my GS stock screen. It does make a difference. Less wind and noise. I think I will live with this for a while. I just saved 600$ as i was considering the Desierto.
jbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:06 AM   #780
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,986
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2135/362/

I put the above screen on my 12GS last week and I'm very impressed! Turbulence, buffeting and wind noise led me to an Aeroflow last year. I love that Aeroflow, but, I was hoping to find a screen for the summer. I get really warm behind that Aeroflow, since it works so well.

Anyway, I was willing to sacrifice wind noise for a smaller screen, but, I wasn't willing to go back to getting beat up every time I rode my GS above 50 mph. This screen does a remarkable job. I'm extremely impressed. No buffeting. No turbulence whatsoever. Extremely quiet, for what it is. Tons of airflow. This is a great summer screen for me. Fits perfect too. It fits just like stock screen, plus the added adjustability for the spoiler really makes a huge difference.

Highly recommended!!
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014