User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #781
GPM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Jim,

I've been considering the same screen. Did you get the smoke gray or clear version? I haven't been able to find any pics of the clear one. Also, in its fully upright and extended position, does the wind hit your helmet or pass over the top. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and the MRA appears to have more adjustability than anything else out there. In a perfect world I'd like to be able to go from wind hitting below the helmet (top piece removed, I'd guess) to having the wind at the very top of my helmet, or above.

TIA,
Harry
GPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #782
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,944
Count me as another curious about the MRA screen. I have the same dimensions as Harry...6'2" 34" inseam.

Looks like this would work just fine with my winglets. I have a Givi currently...but it is only 17.5 tall. The MRA appears to be 19.5" tall and I love the quick adjustability! Looks easy to change tilt and height.

Actually the Givi is kind of hard to adjust...it doesn't work as easily or as smooth as the factory screen. I assume the MRA screen is easier to adjust.

Hooksta screwed with this post 06-19-2007 at 04:25 PM
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:34 PM   #783
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM
Jim,

I've been considering the same screen. Did you get the smoke gray or clear version? I haven't been able to find any pics of the clear one. Also, in its fully upright and extended position, does the wind hit your helmet or pass over the top. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and the MRA appears to have more adjustability than anything else out there. In a perfect world I'd like to be able to go from wind hitting below the helmet (top piece removed, I'd guess) to having the wind at the very top of my helmet, or above.

TIA,
Harry
I got the smoke gray. That's what they had in stock. I'm 6'1" with 31" inseam, so, I sit really tall in the saddle. I've got the screen in the 2nd from highest point, and, the spoiler thing (or, whatever it's called), all the way down. If I put my hand up to my helmet, I feel it hitting the very top of my helmet, if not going over. I wear a Shoei X-11 helmet, and, feel like the venting is a little better, but, not tons. That tells me that I'm not getting pummeled with air at the helmet, but, I feel like I get lots of air on my body, which is what I was after. Air flows around the sides great. I feel like I'm getting close to Aeroflow protection straight on, believe it or not. Definitely more airflow on the sides hitting my arms. Wind protection is great. I feel like I'm riding a motorcycle, but, turbulence is just like the Aeroflow. I'd say if you are searching for protection, but, not looking for a big screen, this might just be it. I'm pretty amazed with how well it works. The Aeroflow will definitely be going back on for cooler weather, or, possibly long slab rides, because it does such a great job. Don't get me wrong, I love my Aeroflow, but, when I bought it, I was looking more to solve the problems with the 12GS I was having than going with tons of wind protection. I like this MRA screen, and, think others will as well. Hope that helps.
jim
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #784
GPM
Adventurer

Thanks much Jim. I have been using a tall Parabellum and it just isn't quite tall enough. And it has very limited adjustability. I was thinking about getting the new Cee Baily Adv screen, but for the price, the MRA seems too good to pass up. I may still get the Cee Baily next winter (sorry, just can't quite make the leap to the Aeroflow). I also wear an X-11 so your description makes perfect sense. Thanks again, you may have just saved me some money.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #785
gallahadion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Wunderlick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrakesh Red
We received the Wunderlich windshield today from BMW Santa Cruz; for my wifes new 2007 F650.
Just in time for the rainy weekend.

After assembling all of the components and verifiying the installation instructions I installed the windshield.

All the previously voiced concerns were rolling around in my head.
(will the holes line up? will this installation drive me CRAZY!

well I can tell you that I must be one of the lucky ones....Today anyway.

The installation went smoothly. Taking about a total of about 30-45 minutes.

Once my wife gets out of her sick bed; I will follow up with a progress report on the riding characteristics of the Wunderlich shield.

Great job on the quick service and delivery from BMW Santa Cruz.
http://www.bmwscruz.com/Merchant2/index.html
Highly recommended.

Marcos
I installed a Wunderlich short windsheild on my 06 F650 last fall. It took about 2 hours to install because the holes didnt' line up. I guess I was one of the unlucky ones. I have since taken it off and used a plastic solderer to melt the holes a bit bigger and went to Loewes to get better / bigger bushings and longer screws. In the end, I got it like I want it but not without extra time and money. Its a very good design as far as throwing the wind over you but the fit up in manufacturing needs to be looked at.

http://www.massage4life.biz
gallahadion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #786
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM
Thanks much Jim. I have been using a tall Parabellum and it just isn't quite tall enough. And it has very limited adjustability. I was thinking about getting the new Cee Baily Adv screen, but for the price, the MRA seems too good to pass up. I may still get the Cee Baily next winter (sorry, just can't quite make the leap to the Aeroflow). I also wear an X-11 so your description makes perfect sense. Thanks again, you may have just saved me some money.

You and I are in the same boat...I have been seriously considering the Cee Bailey Adv screen as well. I've been posting all over that thread. But this does look like a neat, adjustable, affordable option. I held off buying the Cee Bailey because I just added winglets....which work really really well. But my Givi screen is only 17.5" tall and I swear I think if that Givi was one single inch taller I would get the air off my top of my helmet. I can feel the air hit right at my XD peak. So its either the MRA or Cee Bailey. Like you I think the Aeroflow is hidious. Plus I have a BestRest bar and Hella FF50 lights, so fortunately I am not a candidate for the Aeroflow anyhow.
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #787
GPM
Adventurer

Well, now for the bad news. Twisted Throttle is out of both clear and smoke screens. Lead time estimated to be 4-5 weeks.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:06 PM   #788
AzBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Cee Bailey's new Adventure Windshield.

Recieved and installed Cee Bailey's R1200 GS Enhanced 18" x 18" windshield and wind wings on my '06. The installation took approx. 2hrs. to get everything right.

To my delight, the buffeting and popping wind noise is gone. I can now hear my bike like never before. Riding home from work into a head wind this afternoon, wind noise not totally absent but much reduced. This has transformed my bike. At 5' 10" I look over the top of the windshield by about 2". (extended position)

AzBob screwed with this post 06-20-2007 at 08:15 PM
AzBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:47 PM   #789
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM
Well, now for the bad news. Twisted Throttle is out of both clear and smoke screens. Lead time estimated to be 4-5 weeks.
ther's one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vario...30776355QQrdZ1
Old 06-22-2007, 07:30 AM   #790
GPM
Adventurer

Just dropped the guy a note and asked him if it was the same screen Twisted Throttle sells for $169 new. I'd probably rather wait the 5-6 weeks than save only $20 on a used screen. Thanks for posting the ad though, maybe he'll reconsider his price.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:55 AM   #791
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM
Just dropped the guy a note and asked him if it was the same screen Twisted Throttle sells for $169 new. I'd probably rather wait the 5-6 weeks than save only $20 on a used screen. Thanks for posting the ad though, maybe he'll reconsider his price.
It's back up with starting bid of $99, which is getting closer to reality.. I'm still really happy with mine... Looks great too
Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 AM   #792
GPM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
It's back up with starting bid of $99, which is getting closer to reality.. I'm still really happy with mine... Looks great too
I know, I've been going back and forth with them on the value of the screen. Told them what I'd pay for it (which was a bit more than they re-listed it for), but they chose to go back to Ebay.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:51 PM   #793
pb80403
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Windscreen saga

This is a twisted tale of my arduous journey to rid my 12GS of the horrid wind noise. The stock screen was, well, friggin noisy. So, before setting of on a long tour last year I invested in a Cee Bailey 2x2 screen. It looked nice and was marginally better, but...

I still felt like I was sitting behind a jet engine. Grrrrrrr. Well, this year I was determined to beat this situation and slay the sound from hell.

The next step was to try a "shorty" screen that would most assuredly solve my issues. First up was the Touratech Sports Screen. Not bad looking and somewhat reminesent of an old classic.

Well, the problem persisted. I just needed to be a few inches shorter. (I'm 6'3" w/ a 36" inseam)

So, what next. The Cee Bailey was no longer of value so, to take the advice of some of the geniuses on this site, I decided to do some customizing. I cut about 9" off the top. Still too much noise. So, let's try a few more inches. Not good enough. How about a few more. Well, the wind noise continued to decrease but still persisted just enough to convince me to keep cutting.

The casualties of this effort (gotta love the handy Bremer):

Ultimately the remnants of the screen just didn't have enough fabric to hide inherent uglies of this bike:

It rode so well with no screen but it's just too damned ugly to go naked (Don't worry, I'm not going to rot your eyes out again). Why can't there be a solution to such a simple equation? [Vendors, are you paying attention?] Alas, victory. I have found the solution. The Touratech Cockpit Cover.

Looks? Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it works for me and the wind noise is gone. Sweet, smooth air. Guess this'll do until winter.
pb80403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #794
GPM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Well they got over $140 for the used Vario. Looks like it was the re-badged Wunderlich version which sells for an inflated $250. Curious also is that the specs for the Wunderlich version look to be a couple of inches shorter than the MRA specs.

I think the $99 was a reasonable price for something you can get for $169 new. The sale at over $140 looks like a pretty good deal for the seller.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #795
Maxx
n00b

Oddometer: 7
MRA Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerphil
Anyone tried one of these MRA Vario Touring screens for the 1200?.

Any reviews, comments on it?

Attachment 105205
Hi,

I have had that MRA Screen and it works very well. But I changed it against the one on the photo which works even better. Much more variable. You take off the second screen and it is a sporting screen. You fully extend the second screen and put all in full upright position and it is like a full "shield".

Best

Maxx
Attached Images

Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote