User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2007, 09:05 AM   #796
FrisbeeR1200GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Windscreen Tips: Shorter May Be Better

I will offer one basic suggestion on the Windscreens and wind buffeting issue that to some may be counter-intuitive. Regarding wind buffeting, shorter can be better.

Evidence my 2006 Triumph Tiger. The shape of the factory fairing created so much buffeting around the helmet area that it was painful, even with earplugs. Triumph does make a short “Sport Screen” for this model and it eliminates all the buffeting…period. Now, I’m very willing to pay the price of having more wind around my shoulders, etc. Only above 80+ MPH do I want another screen option to lessen the “body drag” for long trips. On the K1200rs, I use the Ztechnic short screen with the same results as on the Tiger. I use the BMW touring screen for the super fast freeway trips.

So, the R bike’s factory screen (during my test drive yesterday) I expect will be quite adequate for many of my trips.

However, I notice that Cee Bailey has introduced two new screens for the GS which they categorize as “summer screens” One has dome cut profile (10 inches tall), the other a euro cut profile (7 inches tall). I expect I will purchase one of these screens.

Question: Has anyone purchased one of these new screens? If so, what’s your experience?

Thanks in advance, I’ll try to contribute as often as my experience will permit.

Last but not least, Yes the Tiger is being replaced by the GS. Just had to have a GS.
FrisbeeR1200GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #797
FrisbeeR1200GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Cee Bailey Now Has 2 Short "Summer Screens" For R1200GS

Would like to hear from anyone who's purchased and road tested one of these. See my prior post regarding short versus tall screens.
FrisbeeR1200GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #798
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,993
Still working fine for me...

I trimmed off the lip and reset the mounts to let the screen come further back. Nice smooth air comes at my chest, and the helmet is in clear air, no turbulence.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #799
kam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
The CB "summer sport" screen was a headache machine for me. Headache after 10 minutes. Mine is for sale for any reasonable offer. Used only once and for a single day ride.

I now run the vario screen. Love it. Sporty look, pretty good wind management even on hot days. Fully extended makes highway miles tolerable.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #800
wmccs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeR1200GS
Would like to hear from anyone who's purchased and road tested one of these. See my prior post regarding short versus tall screens.

I have the 7" installed and have done about 700 mile of back road riding with it so far. I will use this screen 7 months out of the year. It completely eliminated the "Helmet bobble" (vibration) that I had with the stock screen.

The trade off is wind pressure on my upper body and wind noise. I always wear ear plugs so wind noise does not bother me. It was comfortable cruising below 75 mph. I have spent a small fortune on wind shields over the years and my conclusion is: go very short, or go very tall. In between the two is a waste of money.
wmccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:22 PM   #801
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Still working fine for me...

I trimmed off the lip and reset the mounts to let the screen come further back. Nice smooth air comes at my chest, and the helmet is in clear air, no turbulence.
Trimmed the lip of what? And to what height? And what is your height? (others would benefit from knowing details of anything that works well. thx)
Old 08-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #802
mwarnick1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Hi,

Just wanted to drop a quick after action report on the AeroFlow tall windscreen for the GS1200.

Installation was a breeze and the instructions were very well thought out.

The screen works GREAT. My neck doesn't feel pounded from buffeting after riding anymore.

Noise while riding is decreased but still louder than I want to take without ear protection on long rides.

The only downside that I hadn't anticipated is that I can't run my H&P upper crash bars as they conflict with the new windscreen.

Matt
mwarnick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #803
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeagerda
Trimmed the lip of what? And to what height? And what is your height? (others would benefit from knowing details of anything that works well. thx)
Ever seen a stock 1150 GS screen? It has a lip at the top, that's what I cut off. I'm freakishly tall, and wanted my mug in fresh streaming air, no buffetting, so the lip had to go. The other trick was to drill the cleats for a lower setting, the screen is laid way back, simply perfect to have my helmet in clean air flow with minimal (for a GS) turbulence.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:22 AM   #804
Chris_GS
I like a big pair...

Oddometer: 452
Laugh

Hello everybody!

A bit of feedback and a question!

I've just recently purchased a Givi Screen for my R1150GS (coz it was cheap! and I had a bingle), after running Tobinators and stock screen, and a locally-made screen Which is like the Z-technic screen.

I found that as soon as you go over a certain 'tilt' of screen you go into a noise/ buffeting zone, tobinators or not. I am interested in trying the Wunderlich one piece that has won acclaim in this thread but I feel there is more to it... see below.

The Givi screen is the quietest and smoothest so far, in the laid back position, Tobinators or not. I am happy with this as an 'all-ride' screen. I feel this works well, as I'm sure do the Adventure screen, Wunderlich and others without a lip or wide upper sections. My goal is some wind, but smooth air with minimal noise. Popemobile/ LT luxury isn't a priority. I'm 5'10", average inseam with wide shoulders. I wear a shiny new (well, matt new) Shoei Multitech Helmet. I have handguards which I'd prefer to retain.

I am going to make or purchase some various deflectors and try them out (like R1200GSA) purely for the sport of it! I see some 1200GSA items fitted to an 1150, which I might try.

I feel that the dead zone behind a more 'vertical' or larger screen on any GS is affected by air that comes up from beside/ underneath. I see another member has made some for his bike, and reports well, as do most R1200GS owners who use GSA items, who have less 'lower' protection (narrower tank etc) than an R1150GS. Hence the reports that tank panniers work well.

The other noisemaker/ buffeter is the 'lip' on the stock screen, and as I mentioned before, it's angle. I see another owner has chopped that lip off, and angled the screen. I can see how that works well. If I had a spare screen I'd try it!

my question is:

Are there any aftermarket manufacturers of winglets for R1150GS'?

Thanks to all. This problem, for a lot of people, seems to be their greatest, and the solutions their most individual.

VFR800 (VFR# 7)

Chris_GS screwed with this post 09-10-2007 at 03:57 AM
Chris_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:56 AM   #805
andrea76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
wunderlich ergo and leg's protection wunderlich
Attached Images

andrea76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #806
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_GS

my question is:

Are there any aftermarket manufacturers of winglets for R1150GS'?

Thanks to all. This problem, for a lot of people, seems to be their greatest, and the solutions their most individual.
I am afraid the answer is no. As you can see in the hereunder thread many (among which i am) did the same research already .

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249120

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:46 PM   #807
hwyhound
Patriot

Oddometer: 214
Givi on the 1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woukie
First, the mounting holes had to be drilled to accept the bolt sleeves from the original screen.
Is this common on the 1200GS? I'm ready to mount one and running into the same problem. I have a drill in hand ready to go, should I plunge it in there or get some other means to mount this?
hwyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #808
eoR
Thanks For Noticing Me

Oddometer: 4,646
Which TT spoiler for Givi ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyhound
Is this common on the 1200GS? I'm ready to mount one and running into the same problem. I have a drill in hand ready to go, should I plunge it in there or get some other means to mount this?
I had no trouble installing the Givi on my GS. Everything fit well.

Speaking of....

I'd like to try the Touratech spoiler on the Givi, but I don't know whether to order the 1200 GS spoiler or the 1200 GS ADV spoiler. I know some here have put the TT spoiler on the Givi screen, but I didn't see any references to which spoiler they used.

My continuing tale of life and riding in the Arkansas Ozarks: Wandering About In The Hundred [Thousand] Acre Wood
eoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #809
hwyhound
Patriot

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyhound
Well, I went ahead with the drill and it went fine Here are some pictures of the final install. This is the Givi screen with the Cee Bailey Wind Wings. The total cost was around $200
hwyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:16 AM   #810
Chris_GS
I like a big pair...

Oddometer: 452
Hello everybody.

Before I lashed out a new ADV. scren etc, I've done something crazy and in a fit moved the tobinators angled FORWARD slightly, at the front lowest setting, with the givi screen. The screen is laid back a touch more than the original 'low' setting.

I had tried a lot of other tobinator positions and found reduced buffeting, but various problems with wind noise and airflow (rain just gathering on visor, no de-fogging airflow). vast improvements over the stock screen, the Tobinators have helped immensely. I was sure there was a way to reduce wind noise.

well f*ck me. the quietest it's ever been! still plenty of air to clear visor of rain and fogging but I get no buffeting and very little wind noise. I'll fine tune it and post pics and dimensions. if the screen were wider I'm sure it will cut out side winds better (we had some windy days and you get some wind noise then)

I've tried some winglets but found little benefit, but I think the winglets on an 1150 need to be at a more vertical plane to be of assistance.
I'm designing some

I've had a few attempts at wind noise but am suprised that this worked so well, but when I analysed the result it made sense. I feel you need more air under a bigger screen, if that makes sense to equalise pressure when you sit so upright, when there is not enough width in the fairing/ screen in comparison to height. bigger screen needs more width from the bottom (hence winglet success on 1200's, esp. with big screens).

Currently I have a 'motorway' commute which I can use as a test zone on a daily basis, and trying a full range of settings has netted this result. I can only suggest people still trying for a bit of quiet to try this setting.

VFR800 (VFR# 7)
Chris_GS is offline   Reply With Quote