User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #811
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 823
CB + Winglets = success

It took me long to find the right stuff but i fount it.
I already add the CeeBailey screen, i added the 2 winglets such as the R12GSA (home made) and a couple if other to avoid the airflow to being directed from the handle units right on my arms.

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #812
rednose
ReDnOsE

Oddometer: 63
For those having a GIVI screen, The Q in the FAQ ...

... meaning this post will be for questions . Here below a detail of my GIVI mounting:

Questions:

1) On mounting the new givi, I didn't know that I had to dismount the black plastic part from the OEM screen, used to setup the screen. The two black handles on the side of the screen (only the right side in the picture). It appears that there is a L and R. Did I mount them correctly? I mounted the L on the left (obviously !) looking at the screen FROM THE SADDLE. Did I act correctly?

2) To compare with your mounts, consider that the black handles are asymmetric. You may notice the black plastic between the screen and the frame. The thick part is on top, the thin on bottom. Is it the same on yours?

I'm asking this because, after the mount, I can barely screw the 'safe bolt', the one that is inside the cockpit, on the same axis of the plastic handle. That means that if a need to move the setup of the screen I need a tool. With the OEM screen, I just have to unscreew a bit the handles to loose a bit the screen for the new setup.

Heeeeelp!

3) Is anybody 6.0" here happy with GIVI+Winglets? Where did you setup it (notch)? I had the stock screen+laminar lip before. I didn't notice such a big improvement with the GIVI.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Bye
rednose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:44 AM   #813
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapadu
It took me long to find the right stuff but i fount it.
I already add the CeeBailey screen, i added the 2 winglets such as the R12GSA (home made) and a couple if other to avoid the airflow to being directed from the handle units right on my arms.

Is that top piece off-center, a little too far to the right? Just curious, it would drive me crazy having something asymetrical in my field of vision.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:14 AM   #814
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Is that top piece off-center, a little too far to the right? Just curious, it would drive me crazy having something asymetrical in my field of vision.
No, it just comes from the picture, in reality it is right in the meedle.

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #815
eoR
Thanks For Noticing Me

Oddometer: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose
... meaning this post will be for questions . Here below a detail of my GIVI mounting:

Questions:

1) On mounting the new givi, I didn't know that I had to dismount the black plastic part from the OEM screen, used to setup the screen. The two black handles on the side of the screen (only the right side in the picture). It appears that there is a L and R. Did I mount them correctly? I mounted the L on the left (obviously !) looking at the screen FROM THE SADDLE. Did I act correctly?

2) To compare with your mounts, consider that the black handles are asymmetric. You may notice the black plastic between the screen and the frame. The thick part is on top, the thin on bottom. Is it the same on yours?

I'm asking this because, after the mount, I can barely screw the 'safe bolt', the one that is inside the cockpit, on the same axis of the plastic handle. That means that if a need to move the setup of the screen I need a tool. With the OEM screen, I just have to unscreew a bit the handles to loose a bit the screen for the new setup.

Heeeeelp!

3) Is anybody 6.0" here happy with GIVI+Winglets? Where did you setup it (notch)? I had the stock screen+laminar lip before. I didn't notice such a big improvement with the GIVI.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Bye
I took some close up photos of my installation and posted them in my 1200GS thread. Hopefully you will see something there that answers your questions.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=194

My continuing tale of life and riding in the Arkansas Ozarks: Wandering About In The Hundred [Thousand] Acre Wood
eoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #816
Chico
Thief and Saboteur

Oddometer: 695
My Attempts at Preserving my Hearing

Bike: 1150gs
Size: 6'2", 165lbs.

Bike came with aftermarket screen, I think it is an Aeroflow. I wear foam earplugs 99% of the time and ride the bike everywhere: last year from Cali to NY and back; on hwy 1 (55-75 mph, strong head/tail wind) a minimum of 200 miles/week; around town; fast mountain roads; and longer trips on I-5 and 101 (65-80+mph).
I've read all the threads about noise and screen problems and possible solutions and have tried a few of my own. Here is what I have learned:

1. The worst noise problem for me is buffetting--my head being shaken around and low frequency booming in my ears. Even with earplugs, I believe this is causing serious hearing damage.
2. The booming seems to be a result of the screen being too far from the rider. If I lean way forward, I can usually find a pocket of good air. If I stand up, the clean air is MUCH less noisy than when I am behind the screen.
3. I tried a homemade 'rumble strip' on my helmet--a piece of foam that is supposed to interrupt the air flowing over your helmet resulting in less turbulence/buffetting from behind the helmet. You can google it--didn't do much if anything.
4. I tried taping things to the screen to break up the air and minimize vortices--little if any affect.
5. I bought a windjammer 2 and so far this has been the second best solution so far. It stops air from shooting up the bottom of your helmet after if hits your torso.
6. I removed my screen. This was the most pleasant riding experience so far; both for the quiet, clean air and the beautiful, unspoiled view---until I ran into a headwind at 75 mph. Then it was almost unbearable. Also, the front end felt much less stable on HWYs at speed. Probably a result of less downforce caused by wind traveling over the screen.

What I have learned: Up to 75 mph, in calm conditions, taking the screen off was the best solution. My neck worked a little harder against the wind hitting my helmet but it was well worth it. Since I often ride in windy conditions, I have my screen on, the windjammer 2 in place and earplugs in. So far, this seems to be a good compromise. If I know I am going to be on the freeway for more less than 45 minutes at a stretch or that there isn't going to be much of a head-wind, the screen is going to come off, period.
I hope this is helpful to someone as all your other posts have been helpful to me.
Another rider summed up what I have also found to be true:

"Buffeting is caused by turbulent airflow, usually from bad windscreens. It is definitely worse than clear airflow, which will cause noise around ANY helmet. If you can get a small screen which breaks the windflow off your chest, eases the drag on your body, but lets clear air flow over your helmet, you may be better off than hiding behind a big, vertical screen which causes a very abrupt break in airflow-the resulting low pressure area behind the screen causes the turbulence to be sucked down on your head, causing the dreaded buffeting. It batters the helmet, working your neck, as well as creating noise. Bigger is not always better-that being said, I have been behind screens that were oasis' of calm. Lovely. Individual helmets will vary even with the type of riding gear worn-seriously, different jackets(armour etc) will affect the noise. As he said, wear earplugs..."

Chico screwed with this post 09-18-2007 at 10:18 PM
Chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #817
DocRogers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
For what it's worth:
10 months with my 1150 GS so far, 6' tall, 32" inseam; here's what I have tried so far. Took off the stock screen and put it on a shelf in my garage. No screen = BIG improvement but a little breezy in the colder months. Tried a Givi this spring, in the lowest position it gets noisy around 50 MPH or so, unbearable at 70 unless I scrunch down in the saddle or lay on the tank (like some of the sportbike kids do). Yesterday I tried the Saeng edging on the Givi, and it is a noticeable improvement: still a fair amount of noise, but much less buffeting and a lot more comfortable. Looks cool, too. I'm still not sure it's better than no screen at all, though, at least in the warmer weather.

Cheers
DocRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:52 PM   #818
Sahuite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in FL
FWIW, I thought I might offer one more extraneous point of view in the GS windscreen discussion.

When I picked up my R12GS in July 2005, I was reasonably happy with the stock screen but - like many of you - thought there was room for improvement. Around town, I enjoyed the increased air flow with the screen in the lowest position, especially in our warm Florida summer. When traveling longer distances at speed, I usually raised the screen to reduce fatigue, but felt the noise and turbulence were greater than ideal. For reference, I’m 5’7”, have a 29” inseam and ride the stock seat mounted high in front/low in back.

On the recommendation of others, I ordered a Cee Bailey’s 2+/2+. When deployed in the highest position, wind noise and turbulence were nicely reduced but not eliminated. (In retrospect, I could probably have benefited from going 3” taller than stock.) When the CB screen is laid back in any of the lower positions, however, I found the noise and turbulence increased significantly. In the lowest position, the wind noise was bizarrely loud, even at modest speeds around town. Overall, I was happy enough with the improved performance at highway speed that I sacrificed a bit of airflow in the summer and left it on my bike (deployed in the highest position) year round.

In January, I treated myself to an Aeroflow (with medium height upper shield) during their sale. Like others have reported, I am very pleased with this product. Traveling at speeds up to 70 or 80 mph, I am impressed with the quiet, calm ride as well as the sturdy mounting hardware and clear installation instructions provided with the screen. My wife, who often rides with me, also enthusiastically gave the Aeroflow the all-important spousal seal of approval.

The only negative I can report on the Aeroflow is a slight amount of back pressure above 70 mph or so, although if the air around my head and torso were not so calm, I don’t think I could detect it. Additionally, we have had a few warm days here in Florida already this year and I am concerned I will find the Aeroflow’s limited airflow inadequate for our summer heat. If this turns out to be true, I may use one of my other screens for commuting between July and September, but would also use the Aeroflow for any long trips, regardless of warm weather.

I have really enjoyed and benefited from all the owner experiences reported in this thread and may explore other windscreen options as opportunities and finances allow.

Best,

Bill
Bill:

I'm about an inch or so larger than you both in height and leg - does the front high/rear low configuration work well? I'm looking for a solution without going to a low uncomfortable seat.
Sahuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:34 PM   #819
dirtybeemer
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Windscreen Ztechnik

JimO: Would you please add the Adjustable Ztechnik screen with tobinators to your list. I just installed the setup and am in the process of finding the right adjustment. Much better than stock. If anyone has used this setup, I would be interested in any info I could get. I think it is going to work very good. Has many adjustment combinations,
dirtybeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #820
martjohns
Knobby Rider

Oddometer: 15
The best $117 I spent so far was the Touratech windscreen spoiler. No more buffeting or wind shear. Its also on and off in seconds and fits nicely in the tank bag for off-roading. BTY its on a stock 07 GSA screen.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:37 PM   #821
Chris_GS
I like a big pair...

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_GS
Hello everybody.

Currently I have a 'motorway' commute which I can use as a test zone on a daily basis, and trying a full range of settings has netted this result. I can only suggest people still trying for a bit of quiet to try this setting.

Then I realised that it lights up like a christmas tree with the headlight, and there is no way shape of form that it stays correctly in the right spot. I ride on the dirt a bit and I want one screen, one setting. that givi is just too darn heavy tobinators or not.... My headlight wiggles annoyingly, the beam flicking up and down.

I can see why BMW made the ADV and stock screens as they have.

Given up, Is there an end to this madness that isn't going to cost gazillions?

hehehe!

VFR800 (VFR# 7)
Chris_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:26 PM   #822
eagle357
Not Dead Yet

Oddometer: 53
Aeroflow tall

i'm 6 feet, with 32 inch inseam. Had a standard Aeroflow on my 1150GS Adventure and loved it, except for the sporadic bufetting you mention. bought an aeroflow again for my new 1200gs, but ordered the tall screen. wow, extra two inches solved my problems. very still pocket of air.
if you have an aeroflow, you can buy just the tall screen for about $175 to mount to existing fairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico
Bike: 1150gs
Size: 6'2", 165lbs.

Bike came with aftermarket screen, I think it is an Aeroflow. I wear foam earplugs 99% of the time and ride the bike everywhere: last year from Cali to NY and back; on hwy 1 (55-75 mph, strong head/tail wind) a minimum of 200 miles/week; around town; fast mountain roads; and longer trips on I-5 and 101 (65-80+mph).
I've read all the threads about noise and screen problems and possible solutions and have tried a few of my own. Here is what I have learned:

1. The worst noise problem for me is buffetting--my head being shaken around and low frequency booming in my ears. Even with earplugs, I believe this is causing serious hearing damage.
2. The booming seems to be a result of the screen being too far from the rider. If I lean way forward, I can usually find a pocket of good air. If I stand up, the clean air is MUCH less noisy than when I am behind the screen.
3. I tried a homemade 'rumble strip' on my helmet--a piece of foam that is supposed to interrupt the air flowing over your helmet resulting in less turbulence/buffetting from behind the helmet. You can google it--didn't do much if anything.
4. I tried taping things to the screen to break up the air and minimize vortices--little if any affect.
5. I bought a windjammer 2 and so far this has been the second best solution so far. It stops air from shooting up the bottom of your helmet after if hits your torso.
6. I removed my screen. This was the most pleasant riding experience so far; both for the quiet, clean air and the beautiful, unspoiled view---until I ran into a headwind at 75 mph. Then it was almost unbearable. Also, the front end felt much less stable on HWYs at speed. Probably a result of less downforce caused by wind traveling over the screen.

What I have learned: Up to 75 mph, in calm conditions, taking the screen off was the best solution. My neck worked a little harder against the wind hitting my helmet but it was well worth it. Since I often ride in windy conditions, I have my screen on, the windjammer 2 in place and earplugs in. So far, this seems to be a good compromise. If I know I am going to be on the freeway for more less than 45 minutes at a stretch or that there isn't going to be much of a head-wind, the screen is going to come off, period.
I hope this is helpful to someone as all your other posts have been helpful to me.
Another rider summed up what I have also found to be true:

"Buffeting is caused by turbulent airflow, usually from bad windscreens. It is definitely worse than clear airflow, which will cause noise around ANY helmet. If you can get a small screen which breaks the windflow off your chest, eases the drag on your body, but lets clear air flow over your helmet, you may be better off than hiding behind a big, vertical screen which causes a very abrupt break in airflow-the resulting low pressure area behind the screen causes the turbulence to be sucked down on your head, causing the dreaded buffeting. It batters the helmet, working your neck, as well as creating noise. Bigger is not always better-that being said, I have been behind screens that were oasis' of calm. Lovely. Individual helmets will vary even with the type of riding gear worn-seriously, different jackets(armour etc) will affect the noise. As he said, wear earplugs..."
eagle357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #823
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Still working fine for me...

I trimmed off the lip and reset the mounts to let the screen come further back. Nice smooth air comes at my chest, and the helmet is in clear air, no turbulence.

I liked your idea a lot but came up with something a bit simpler .. I trimmed the lip off the top then just removed the two back screws and tilted the screen as far down as it will go. Basically the same result as yours and it can be easily tilted back up to stock position. I was going to try Tobinators but this works so well I don't think I'll bother.

Also never cared for the silver number plate thing so I painted it balck and painted the inside of the windshield black .. I like it.
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #824
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,535
I've been through this thread looking for pix and descrips and still haven't found out weather Aeroflow windscreens have adjustable tilt. Nor have I seen any GOOD pictures, even on thier own website.

I'm looking to make the R12GS into a Goldwing for long trips with the wife without making it so ugly I'd have to ride with my eyes closed.

Also, can it be taken off with relatively little effort? I don't want to spend hours switching back and forth. One thing I like about the stock screen is that I can (and do) take it off in a minute or two.

Anybody use the "faring" part with a modified smaller screen in the summer? I'm assuming the screen part detaches easily?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #825
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
I liked your idea a lot but came up with something a bit simpler .. I trimmed the lip off the top then just removed the two back screws and tilted the screen as far down as it will go. Basically the same result as yours and it can be easily tilted back up to stock position. I was going to try Tobinators but this works so well I don't think I'll bother.
I tried that, but found it wobbled annoyingly above 90 MPH.