User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #826
RoadCall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
This is some topic!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any how, I am almost finished putting my bought wrecked 1150GS back together and I am looing for a shield. So I came here...........mistake?????.........LOL

Any how, I am wondering if all the wind problems are starting at the beak?
I am going with the stock shield for now, and might just do away with it all together. And I might cut off the beak. What the hell, it has a crack in it anyhow........Let ya know if I do.
RoadCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:59 PM   #827
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 463
Shorty OEM and Home Made Tobinators

Here are a few pics of my current solution to buffeting and wind noise on my '07 R1200GS.

I cut the OEM windscreen down by hand using a hacksaw blade. I just taped off the area of the cut with masking tape and drew the arc using a pencil tied to a string. I then smoothed up the cut edge with a piece of 220 grit wet or dry and finished polishing the edge with a piece of worn out 400 grit. The whole process took less than one hour.

The aluminum extensions were home made using some 3/16" thick scrap. The holes are 2" apart center to center.

This set up has completely eliminated buffeting. Wind noise has been reduced by about 75%. I get nice clean air hitting me square in the chest now. I am 6' 6" with a 36" inseam.

Grape_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #828
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadCall

Any how, I am almost finished putting my bought wrecked 1150GS back together and I am looing for a shield. So I came here...........mistake?????.........LOL.
If you want a good deal on an Aeroflow with winglets in exceptional condition PM me. Bought one and used it on 2600 mile trip; lower section has been modified to accomodate Terra Nova light bar. Too much resistance for me; gas milage decreased 10%. Went back to torbinators on stock screen for now.
PETDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:27 AM   #829
Chris_GS
I like a big pair...

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadCall

Any how, I am almost finished putting my bought wrecked 1150GS back together and I am looing for a shield. So I came here...........mistake?????.........LOL

Any how, I am wondering if all the wind problems are starting at the beak?
I am going with the stock shield for now, and might just do away with it all together. And I might cut off the beak. What the hell, it has a crack in it anyhow........Let ya know if I do.
the beak made no difference, when mine snapped off it was not any better.

VFR800 (VFR# 7)
Chris_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:30 AM   #830
RoadCall
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC
If you want a good deal on an Aeroflow with winglets in exceptional condition PM me. Bought one and used it on 2600 mile trip; lower section has been modified to accomodate Terra Nova light bar. Too much resistance for me; gas milage decreased 10%. Went back to torbinators on stock screen for now.

Thanks for the heads up on your shield, but I think I am gonna try the stock shield first. If it is as bad as I read, I just might ride "naked"....LOL
Seems like that is the best fix.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #831
RoadCall
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_GS
the beak made no difference, when mine snapped off it was not any better.

Ah, ok, Well there goes that thought....Thanks!
Old 10-08-2007, 12:59 PM   #832
Zuma Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Wicked What Wind?

Recently purchased '07 1200GS. I have read most of the posts regarding people's distain with the stock windshield. In all honesty I find the stock windshield just fine in every riding condition so far encounted including major cross-winds. I am 6'2" and I ride with the stock screen in the most vertical position. I've been up to 90 mph with no buffeting. My wife rides on the back and does in fact experience minor buffeting.

Frankly speaking my other bikes are an '05 KLR, '07 HD SE Road King, '05 Ducati 1000SDS Multistrada, and an '04 HD fully tricked-out deuce. Not one of them has the wind protection offered by the stock GS windscreen; especially the Ducati though it has the Ducati touring screen.

I think the buffeting that some of you are suffering from can be remedied via the most aerodynamic helmet. Personally I've been riding with the Nolan N102 flip-up with the flip down sun shade. I use it on all my bikes and it's great. No buffeting at all. The extended shade on the Arai XD must cause a great deal of buffeting and head pull at high speed. It provides a great motocross look but not a viable choice for high-speed slab riding.

For a viable helmet that can be used on the highway and off-road, I'm thinking the new Hornet DS from Shoei might be the answer. Looking at the picture, I appears that the shade can be retracted to make it more aerodynamic for high speed highway use. I could be wrong about this; however, the picture looks like there is a track between the shade and the middle of the helmet to facilitate this feature. If it does retract, then this helmet might be the ticket and the answer to everyone's dilema re helmet choice and wind comfort.

Zuma Man
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #833
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,918
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
I tried that, but found it wobbled annoyingly above 90 MPH.
I didn't notice that buffeting while running at top speed but might have been too scared to notice
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #834
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,918
Laugh

anybody tried this crazy thing??

http://www.mv-motorrad.de/lshop,show...099926298,.htm
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #835
redbarchettags
Uh, Yea!

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
I think I'll try one to see what kind of conversations it leeds to. I'll rename my bike the R1200FW190GS. That thing is freakin hilarious.
redbarchettags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #836
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,875
I just removed the Givi sheild which was a good 6" + taller than stock and replaced it with the original on my 00 1150GS. All I can say is wow, The best explanation as far as bike feel is the difference between riding against a 30 mph head wind and having a 30 mph tail wind in favor of the original. The wind blast is light, direct, consistent and tollerable, the noise about half and no more inconsistent blasts from every direction. At 6'3" I figured it was gonna be like my Steamer which was hell on a long trip. Yeahh haahhhh, its like riding a new bike Curious how the stocker will do in rain though.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:28 AM   #837
ownst1100
BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
If anything it should take care of any bugs comming over the top.
04' BMW GS Adventurer with Alumigo trailer
05' GoldWing with Trekker trailer
http://community.webshots.com/user/ownst1100
ownst1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:49 AM   #838
ownst1100
BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer: 994
Laminar LIP, it really works!

Once again, my 04' ADVenturer with Tobinators set up high and back finished off with a Laminar LIP creates a very quiet and calm zone behind the windshield.

I've never had a problem with the fasteners failing. It has always held fast even at triple digit speeds. The secret to this it to find the right spot for the LIP and once found replace fasteners with new and then leave it alone.
04' BMW GS Adventurer with Alumigo trailer
05' GoldWing with Trekker trailer
http://community.webshots.com/user/ownst1100
ownst1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #839
Chris_GS
I like a big pair...

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat
I just removed the Givi sheild which was a good 6" + taller than stock and replaced it with the original on my 00 1150GS. All I can say is wow, The best explanation as far as bike feel is the difference between riding against a 30 mph head wind and having a 30 mph tail wind in favor of the original. The wind blast is light, direct, consistent and tollerable, the noise about half and no more inconsistent blasts from every direction. At 6'3" I figured it was gonna be like my Steamer which was hell on a long trip. Yeahh haahhhh, its like riding a new bike Curious how the stocker will do in rain though.
I've gone back to the stock shield and there you go- it works as it's supposed to, yes you get wind blast but once again, I have a shoei and it's magic (Multitech- very very quiet compared to my arai, I'd hate to ride with an XD) and made a little deflector which is the same angle as the lip. it works well, no buffeting, reduced fuel consumption and no worries about offroad.

Once again- go the big screen, and make it big, or for some wind deflection stick with a stocker (GS or GSA) or similar. or nothing.

VFR800 (VFR# 7)
Chris_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #840
Stopwatch
Choas: Life Itself

Oddometer: 45
GS Wind screens

Jim,

Great info! Thank you.

I'd like to add that the AeroFlow, tried by me without lowers, did NOT stop the buffeting for anyone on the pillion seat. For the pilot, all was smoooooooth, even with my visor open at whatever degree.

The stock GS shield and with the Schuberth S1 visor opened 0.5 inch or more sets up a tremendous popping.

If the AeroFlow had solved pilot and pillion problems, I'd have kept it.

Ride well,
Stopwatch is offline   Reply With Quote