Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2007, 10:25 PM   #841
Chris_GS
I like a big pair...

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_GS
I've gone back to the stock shield and there you go- it works as it's supposed to, yes you get wind blast but once again, I have a shoei and it's magic (Multitech- very very quiet compared to my arai, I'd hate to ride with an XD) and made a little deflector which is the same angle as the lip. it works well, no buffeting, reduced fuel consumption and no worries about offroad.

Once again- go the big screen, and make it big, or for some wind deflection stick with a stocker (GS or GSA) or similar. or nothing.
The deflector is made from 1.5mm acrylic (you can cut it with good scissors!), the mounts are small bits of 20mmx1mm angle aluminium, 4mm nuts and bolts (to allow adjustment of angle if desired) and 3M clear double-sided tape. it would probably be awesome combined with the tobinators. The deflector works best with the angle the same as the lip on the stock screen, screen in the lowest of the three positions.

here's a pic of the deflector (I wonder what it would be like with the Givi??):
Attached Images

VFR800 (VFR# 7)

Chris_GS screwed with this post 12-31-2007 at 08:03 PM
Chris_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #842
rednose
ReDnOsE

Oddometer: 63
Talking my .2 cent tip

Hi all,
about my experinces with wind & screens.

First, as anybody else, out of the shop with std screen. In my case, the shop was 600KM far from home . Arrived at home after 6 hours riding, feeling like I lost the last round (after 12) against Mike Tyson for the box championship. . Well after all it was "a boxer" engine.

Second, added laminar lip. GREAT improvement (thanks advrider!), against the buffeting. Still lot of noise (probably not clean air?), at least with both my schuberth C1 and J1.

Third, tired to use earplugs, mounted a GIVI screen (thanks to eeor report). Another improvement, but still not there yet. To reach the quite area I need to duck down. Not that good for my back. Looking like the guy leaving in Notredame in Paris ... you know

Fourth, and hopefully definitive, GIVI + laminar lip (from previous experiment). Some 10EURO of "tools" (sorry my english, lost word) to "convince" the lip to be mounted on a screen not designed for.

Here the pics!

rednose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #843
Edder B
Meister Poser

Oddometer: 358
I too found that the GIVI windscreen with the Laminar lip if a good way to go. I'm 6'2" with 33 inseam. The GIVI only still had some turbulence but added the GIVI and its great. The R1200GS Laminar lip does not fit well on the GIVI as shown in the previous post. I called Laminar and they had no plans to make one for the GIVI. I then just happened to notice that the Laminar on my Buell Ulysses had less of an curvature and fits the GIVI shield as if was made for the GIVI.

PS I was going to buy the Aeroflow but the cost put me off. The GIVI screen and Laminar came together came out to be around $210US.

"If you try to pass me you will die. I ride at the limit". Sigi Hoffman.

Triumph Tiger Explorer, Triumph Scrambler
Edder B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:51 PM   #844
bootman
Rider

Oddometer: 93
MRA w/Mods

MRA "VarioTouringScreen" with homemade extenders for more straight up rake. Works great for us tall folk, 6' 4"

You can't get enough of what you don't want -
05' 1200 GS - 99' Honda XR650L

bootman screwed with this post 12-03-2010 at 04:33 PM
bootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:50 PM   #845
Jedi5150
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 558
I'm 5'10" , 160 pounds,with a 33 inch inseam. I put a Givi on my new '07 GS and LOVE it! It is tons quieter than stock, cuts down a lot on the wind and yet still looks very sharp on the bike. I couldn't be happier with it.
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:34 AM   #846
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,590
Just got a ZTechnik standard screen for my 1150GS. A W E S O M E.

http://www.ztechnik.co.uk/index.html...rget=d154.html
(the Z2241, on the right. the taller shield would have been too tall.)

Previously I've had the stocker and the Wunderlich touring screen. Despite the Ztech being about the same height as the Wunderlich, the airflow is substantially smoother. I'm 5'11".
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:59 AM   #847
dustdonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I don't know if it's been said in the previous 52 pages.....too lazy to read them all.

Try 'Eagle Screens' in Australia. Got a touring screen for my 1150 adv. Good quality, brilliant service and good prices.
'58 R50
'85 R80G/S PD (sold )
dustdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:25 AM   #848
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdonkey
.....too lazy to read them all.
....and to lazy to copy past a link http://www.eaglescreens.com.au

however the website do not show picture of the screen, how to figure out if it will make it happen?
This is not a so called "completed staff work".

A do.

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:30 PM   #849
Big Medieval Warrior
Come out to playeeaay!

Oddometer: 139
Cee Bailey Wind Wings

I didn't want to read through all 51 pages of this, but I just received a 20" X 18" Cee Bailey wind screen from Santa. Apparently Santa thought that I had the adventure model and so, I only received the screen--no hardware.
I'll call CB to send out the hardware. I have been looking at their site and noticed the Wind Wings. Can any of you tell me if they are worth getting? I hate adding unecessary items if I don't really need them. I have an '05 1200 GS.
Thanks.
Big Medieval Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #850
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,894
Get the wings,
A friend of mine has the same bike and so do I (actually hers is '06 and mine '07)
When she got the Cee baily screen she let me ride it and she rode mine so we could both make back to back comparasons. The screen was definitely quieter and there was somewhat less buffeting. I'm 6' 1" and she experienced more af a difference between the two bikes at 5' 9". I installed the wings for her a few weeks later and I could tell the difference immediately. Hers is 18x18.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #851
galvestonokie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Aeroflow supports--safety??

I'm a new guy here. Recently installed an AF windscreen/half fairing on an 1100GS. the risers/supports look a bit scary when pictured from the rider's position. maybe i'm being a bit anal, but it looks as if you would be speared by the supports if you went over the front.

i know you're not supposed to go over the front. i'm assuming the windscreen itself would not stop you. anyone else notice this?

bob
galvestonokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:53 AM   #852
GS Mojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
GIVI, Winglets, Laminar Lip, and the 1200GS

I posted this review in another thread, but thought I would put it here also.

I just installed the LL on the GIVI shield for my 1200GS. It has totally moved the wind over my helmet. (I am 6' with a 32" inseam) I could have placed the Lip higher if I need to, but my original placement did the trick.

I also tried it with my passenger. She is 5'8" and was very happy back there. She said the wind was hitting her more on the shoulders, but not affecting her helmet at all. I only feel the wind now on my upper arms.

I was able to ride both of my bikes back to back yesterday. The 1150 has the Aeroflow, and the 1200 a GIVI, winglets and the Lip. They both look ugly, but the wind protection was about the same.

I feel I have finally broken the code (for me) on the 1200GS.
GS Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #853
araspitfire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
It was the answer for me too...

Adding a bit (in my case it was the top bit of my cut-off OEM 1200GS screen) to the top of a Givi screen made my 6500 kms of motorway driving quite comfortable...

Al...
araspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:01 AM   #854
GS Mojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Pictures of the Lip on my bike.

GS Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:08 PM   #855
Chris_GS
I like a big pair...

Oddometer: 452
update

took the deflector off (It does deflect a lot of wind!) and am just running tobinators. stock positioning out of the box, no handguards for summer. is relatively quiet, good windflow is desired for 40deg. days.

Will fit an ADV screen in the new year to try (now). I would like to stop a lot of wind up the side, winglets don't seem to help unless I put them in a very unfortunate position, the wind comes around the screen right where the ADV screen is wider.

VFR800 (VFR# 7)
Chris_GS is offline   Reply With Quote