Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #946
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
thanks flyrodder thats just what I was looking for.
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:05 PM   #947
cloken
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Alex, I've emailed Mark too, we'll just have to wait and see what we can work out schedule wise. Assuming he's interested.
cloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #948
S-curvy
In my dreams....

Oddometer: 52
Choose your screen wisely

One of the myriad reasons to go with an Aeroflow is that it is fabricated from aircraft acryllic. What this means is that unlike polycarbonate, OEM, and most other screens which all come with a scratch-resistant and anti-yellowing (UV resistant) coating, the Aeroflow and Cee Baileys units are fabricated from acryllic plastic which is integrally UV stabilized (muy expensive), so no coating is required or used.

What this means is that scratches can be buffed out of screens made from this type of material, whereas screens that are made from the cheaper and more generic materials (i.e., OEM), may be buffed out but over time, the protective coating will also get buffed away, leaving the screens prone to accelerated scratching, cracking, crazing, and yellowing. Likewise, the more expensive acryllic is typically thicker, which makes it stronger and more stable in the wind.

As for cleaning any of them:
  1. #1 is to NEVER use paper towels (the wood fibers cause very tiny but noticeable scratches), use only soft cotton cleaning cloths.
  2. always use ample liquid to preclean and lubricate the cleaning cloth
  3. avoid those scrubby sponge and squeegee things (scratch machine) at the gas station
  4. Use the Plexus or Novus cleaning systems to clean and treat the scratches. Just remember that with the coated screens, an aggressive treatment will come at a cost to the coating too.
  5. apply a hard paste wax (carnuba) to both side of the screen. This becomes a sacrificial wear surface and protectant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS-holic
Maybe this issue has been addressed previously......? if so I do humbly appologise for my ignorance.

As most of use prefer our noble steeds clean and bright resulting in the prized possession being pampered by foam bath very regularly. Unfortunately all this scrubbing and rubbing leads to scratches on the Polocarbonate screen. Is there anybody that has experience or knowledge on how to effectively refurbich these screen?
S-curvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #949
S-curvy
In my dreams....

Yep, it doesn't cut it for me

Yep, I 2nd JVB's comments. I've got a 12GS identical to his (same color too ) with the Cee Bailey's. Having come from the 1150GS + Aeroflow world, I can say that the Cee Bailey's just doesn't measure up. In the Aeroflow world, the rider's head and body are "in the bubble" and it's a pleasant, dry, and quiet world.

I've also noticed that the Aeroflow windscreen itself is much more stable and doesn't flex and vibrate all over the place like all the others I've seen and tried. Likewise, that stability extends to the bike itself -- I found that it became like a rock at freeway speeds in the very windy Bay Area. It was more stable and less susceptible to cross-winds than my car!

In the summer, if you get too hot, take off the winglets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I have a +2+2 CeeBailey's, and it does NOT improve the buffeting. It certainly doesn't do anything for the twitchiness. You would be better served to try a couple things first.

Adjust your rear shock UP, tighter, and your front shock down, looser. This will help stablize the suspension and removes a lot of the twitchiness. The front shock is mostly over sprung.

As to adding the CeeBailey's, I have found the bigger screen doesn't remove buffeting, but seriously adds to suceptability to crosswinds and rough air behind trucks. It does give slightly better wind protection, but at the cost of rough air suceptability.

I get the best results with the stock screen all the way down, and nearly similar results with the CeeBailey's all the way down too. Minimal buffeting as the air hits me just below the helmet. Much quieter that way too.

Jim
Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #950
S-curvy
In my dreams....

Try Aeroflow's website

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/R1200GS.htm Cost is pushing $500, but I can say from my 1150GS experience, it's the best $500 to spend on the bike. Everyone talks about the day-to-day improvements, but IMHO the best thing about the Aeroflow is its longterm benefit. No joke, what it accomplishes is the ability to extend the riding season . Buying time is a rare and costly opportunity, so take advantage when you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitt
So hey got any pics - and if I could - what did it cost??
Thanks!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #951
red-bull
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
doesn't that make it the same as the stock height shield ..
This combination is just like the stock-shield, but without the TT-Part is no noise anymore(lowest position) and good for summer.
the stock-shield + the TT-modification is better then the genuine TT-part.

Markus
Attached Images

red-bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #952
AV 1611
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-curvy
http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/R1200GS.htm Cost is pushing $500, but I can say from my 1150GS experience, it's the best $500 to spend on the bike. Everyone talks about the day-to-day improvements, but IMHO the best thing about the Aeroflow is its longterm benefit. No joke, what it accomplishes is the ability to extend the riding season . Buying time is a rare and costly opportunity, so take advantage when you can.
Are the AeroGuards worth the extra $$$?

Are they primarily for Leg protection, or do they combine with the Screen for a double-vortex-inverted-enveloped-backpressured flip?
AV 1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #953
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV 1611
Are they primarily for Leg protection, or do they combine with the Screen for a double-vortex-inverted-enveloped-backpressured flip
with a twist .... degree of difficulty, 9.9
Old 06-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #954
cloken
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Alex, I heard back from Mark @ calsci, he's up for it and has a prototype.
I just need to figure when I can get the bike to him for 2 weeks time (or maybe less).
cloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:32 AM   #955
Hardrocker
Keep ur feet on the pegs

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBike
Just got finished with a 250 mile ride in the Durango/Ouray area. Rode a little bit of everything, highway, dirt roads, in town etc... . It was very windy here today, so perfect conditions to test the windscreen.

I could not be happier with the results. Night and day difference compared to the standard GS Windscreen. I am 6'2", with a 32 inch inseam, I have a very long torso, so I stick out and up in the wind on my bike. Much cleaner air, 90% reduction in buffeting.
How is the VStream windshield doing now?

How close to your line of sight is the top of the shield?

I have one on order and am trying to figure out if my money has been well spent.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #956
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-bull
This combination is just like the stock-shield, but without the TT-Part is no noise anymore(lowest position) and good for summer.
the stock-shield + the TT-modification is better then the genuine TT-part.

Markus
Hi Markus,
What's your height and inseam (if you don't mind my asking)? And are you using the stock GS or GSA seat? Thanks.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:47 AM   #957
red-bull
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
@kindofblue

1,84m; I use the stock GS seat in low position

Markus
red-bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #958
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-bull
@kindofblue

1,84m; I use the stock GS seat in low position
Markus
Hi Markus,
Thanks. That converts to 6' .5". You're 3.5" shorter than me and I use a GSA seat in the high position (in front, low in back).
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #959
slo100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Givi Worked for Me

2007 GS. I am 6'1" with 33" inseam.

Just received a Givi today and I threw it on and went for a spin. It works wonders for me. All is quiet on the GS front now. No more thundering whoosh rattling my head.

Fit and finish is excellent. As with many suppliers of add-ons for the GS, the instructions were pretty awful but the procedure for this is quite intuitive.

This is a significant improvement over the stock unit and the lines still flow with the bike and it looks like it could be a stock piece, which is what I wanted.

Anyhoo, 1 vote for Givi.

Bret
slo100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #960
McBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrocker
How is the VStream windshield doing now?

How close to your line of sight is the top of the shield?

I have one on order and am trying to figure out if my money has been well spent.
Works great, really like the improved wind protection. Line of site is fine and can be adjusted if needed. I have done some serious off roadng with it and have had no issues.
McBike is offline   Reply With Quote